An Olive Branch

Old November 3rd 04, 06:49 PM
Cecil Chapman

The 'security' stuff gets even more absurd when you listen to some people.
I've heard more than a few people tell me that the reason they were voting
for Bush was that the 'terrorists were afraid of him and that was why we
haven't had another 911'.

I always offer to these individuals the observation that our first terrorist
attack (of this magnitude) took place with G.W. in-office. Now, for the
previous 200 years we never had such a thing happen - did that mean that the
terrorists were really afraid of our previous presidents and less afraid of
G.W???. .... Jeesh...... Wasn't it R.W. Emerson who said " A foolish
consistency, is the hobgoblin of little minds".

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old November 3rd 04, 06:53 PM
kontiki

Well stated sir! Personally, I'm glad its over and that Kerry
didn't drag this thing out like Gore did 4 years ago. The stock
market apparently agrees as well.

Old November 3rd 04, 06:55 PM
David Brooks

Jay - I do appreciate your kind words, and I have valued your insights and
your personal messages to me. But - see my other post.

-- David Brooks

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16 years),

let
me be the first to extend an olive branch to those here who may be
disappointed in the results.

What has made America strong, and allowed our democracy to thrive for over
200 years, is our ability to embrace the loyal opposition on election day.
We, as pilots, may be just as divided politically as the rest of the
country, but where we differ from the common electorate is in our shared
love of aviation.

This bond, in my opinion, transcends any fleeting election disagreements,
and I, for one, will be more than happy to see all this animosity

evaporate,
so that we can get back to the fun of talking about flying!

Blue skies, all!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 07:29 PM
rls

Cecil Chapman wrote:
I always offer to these individuals the observation that our first terrorist
attack (of this magnitude) took place with G.W. in-office. Now, for the
previous 200 years we never had such a thing happen - did that mean that the
terrorists were really afraid of our previous presidents and less afraid of
G.W???. .... Jeesh...... Wasn't it R.W. Emerson who said " A foolish
consistency, is the hobgoblin of little minds".

Actually, the first attack was in '93, with the first bombing of the WTC.
The only reason the deathtoll was not higher was that they did it wrong.
Had the attack reached its goal of bringing down on of the towers, it would
have dwarfed 9/11, since it took place in mid-day, and there would not have
been an hour to escape the building.

So, did Emerson have a quote about "accuracy"?
Old November 3rd 04, 07:36 PM
Newps

Cecil Chapman wrote:

I always offer to these individuals the observation that our first
terrorist attack (of this magnitude) took place with G.W. in-office.

Ah, no. Oklahoma City. Your beloved Clinton. And we killed the
*******. NEXT!

" A foolish consistency, is the hobgoblin of little
minds".

Perhaps, but us little minded people are right.
Old November 3rd 04, 08:17 PM
C Kingsbury

"Newps" wrote in message

Cecil Chapman wrote:

I always offer to these individuals the observation that our first
terrorist attack (of this magnitude) took place with G.W. in-office.

Ah, no. Oklahoma City. Your beloved Clinton. And we killed the
*******. NEXT!

Yeah, but all of this really begins (and will likely end) with the Iranian
revolution. Thank you, Jimmy Carter.

-cwk.

Old November 3rd 04, 08:54 PM
Icebound

"kontiki" wrote in message
.... snip... The stock
market apparently agrees as well.

Well, if voters were serious about stock market returns, they might have
read this before going into the booth:

http://www.personal.anderson.ucla.ed...a/Politics.pdf

It shows that historically since 1927, the market has done about 9% better
when Democrats were in power when compared to the periods Republicans were
in power.

On a similar note about stocks and presidents, there is this:

http://www.financialadvisormagazine...._2004_was.html

Old November 3rd 04, 09:24 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay - I do appreciate your kind words, and I have valued your insights and
your personal messages to me. But - see my other post.

You don't yet understand democracy, do you David?

Now is the time for the loyal opposition to come together -- so that they
may start making plans on how best to throw ball bearings in front of the
winner's parade!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 09:31 PM
alexy

Newps wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16 years),

Jimmuh Carter was the last one to get more than 50%.

Nope, GHW Bush.

Old November 3rd 04, 09:38 PM
alexy

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16 years), let
me be the first to extend an olive branch to those here who may be
disappointed in the results.

What has made America strong, and allowed our democracy to thrive for over
200 years, is our ability to embrace the loyal opposition on election day.
We, as pilots, may be just as divided politically as the rest of the
country, but where we differ from the common electorate is in our shared
love of aviation.

This bond, in my opinion, transcends any fleeting election disagreements,
and I, for one, will be more than happy to see all this animosity evaporate,
so that we can get back to the fun of talking about flying!

Blue skies, all!

Well, that spirit lasted all of two or three posts! Nice try, though;
I commend your attitude.