Airbus A 380 is rolling

Old April 18th 05, 09:04 AM
G Farris

In article ,
says...

Martin,

hopefully they'll have a save first flight soon.

Official date is Friday.
Chances are they'll try to maintain it.

G Faris

Old April 18th 05, 11:19 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:49:12 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

It's a war between the two giant, state-supported airliner mfrs. The
winner will dominate the business and the loser's country will suffer
economically.

But not nearly as much as we will all suffer if there IS a loser.

The present situation suits me just fine, thanks. See saw, Margery
Daw. Keeps the prices down, the executives sweating, and the trade
negotiators' blood pressure up against the stops. And if the European
and Wichita taxpayers want to subsidize my flying, that's a bonus.

Looks like Boeing will ace out Airbus in sales this year.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 18th 05, 11:21 AM
Cub Driver

Perhaps the competition can enthuse Boeing
to create a new, even more spectacular jet, and the games goes into
another round.

It already has: the 787.

Old April 18th 05, 11:23 AM
Matt Whiting

Morgans wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote

The dreamliner looks pretty cool to me. And the way

fuel costs are going, the smaller more efficient machine may just be the
way of the future.

Assuming all the seats are full, (which they usually are full, or almost
full) on the long haul routes, the larger the more efficient.

Larger isn't always more efficient. Yes, you need high seat density for
efficiency on a per seat basis no matter what size the airplane.

Matt
Old April 18th 05, 11:27 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:08:13 +0200, Stefan
wrote:

Taking a closer look it
turned out that by buying the German Mercedes they would create *more*
work in Switzerland, because the German Mercedes had much more Swiss
built parts than the Swiss Saurer...

And perhaps they broke down more often?

It has often struck me that the jobs lost to the American economy
through the Honda Accord are all maintenance jobs, since the Accord is
built in the U.S. and never breaks down.

Old April 18th 05, 01:39 PM
G Farris

In article ,
says...

Boeing may well be the market leader this year, on the
strength of the 787.

I find this very tenuous.
If Boeing does manage to slow the hemmorrage of market share this year, it
will be thanks to a traditional agreement with the Japanese, and not to any
purported strengths of a plane that does not exist, and that no one knows much
about, except that it has wavy lines on the floor instead of straight ones.
(Are these supposed to help drunken passengers navigate, or are they a
metaphor for Boeing's own management strategy?).

They year is young yet. Airbus is about to proceed with the most spectacular
rollout since the 747 - and I have not seen any billboards saying, "Would the
last one to leave Toulouse please turn out the lights . . ." The prestige and
media coverage of the event can only enhance their posture (unless of course
the rollout ends the way the initial A320 demonstration did)!

And Boeing, in their wavering wisdom, have chosen this moment to announce the
end of the 747 program. What stupidity! Not to end it, I mean - but to
announce it now - to say to all the asian carriers who use almost exclusively
jumbos "YES, we have NO ANSWER to Airbus's A380!" They have thus spent time
and money gold-plating the silver platter on which they deliver this lucrative
market to their competitor.

I'm American, and I would love to see Boeing at least maintain parity with
Airbus in deliveries, as well as maintaining their stature as a technological
flagship of American industry. Byt then, I went to University of Minnesota,
and I quickly learned the futility of rooting for any of their teams!

G Faris

Old April 18th 05, 01:52 PM
Dan Luke

"Thomas Borchert" wrote:
Yes. My airport, Mobile Downtown, is in the running.

So what on earth are you complaining about in your "war" comments?
You'd rather want Airbus to take your view and move to some other
place? Jeeze...

Well, no. If the 380 succeeds (which is starting to seem likely), of course
I'd like my local economy to benefit. Taking the larger view, though, I
would regard the success of the 380 as a very ominous sign for Boeing, and
thus for the U. S. manufacturing economy in general.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM