Keeping a builders log

Old January 23rd 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Keeping a builders log

Ok, I've been building my plane for the last 2 years. A wood and fabric
plans built.
I purchased the raw material and milled everything myself. Up until
recently I've
kept a buiders log on everything I have made, built, and glued.
Question. Do I need to log every minute? There are days after days of
cutting very small
pieces and glueing 1,2, and 3 peices at a time, let stand overnight,
and glue 2 pieces again.
There are times that its only 2 minutes. I'm not complaining, I'm
really enjoying the woodworking. But, do I need to log every minute or
is there a better way to log the week?
Lou

Old January 23rd 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, I've been building my plane for the last 2 years. A wood and fabric
plans built.
I purchased the raw material and milled everything myself. Up until
recently I've
kept a buiders log on everything I have made, built, and glued.
Question. Do I need to log every minute? There are days after days of
cutting very small
pieces and glueing 1,2, and 3 peices at a time, let stand overnight,
and glue 2 pieces again.
There are times that its only 2 minutes. I'm not complaining, I'm
really enjoying the woodworking. But, do I need to log every minute or
is there a better way to log the week?
Lou

No there is no requirement to log every minute. The written part of my log
will be the notes I made on the plans and the construction manual. You are
required to have a photo log as well.

Old January 23rd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Photo's I have.
Lou

Old January 23rd 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Photo's I have.
Lou

You should be ok then. The purpose of the log as far as the FAA is concerned
is that you did indeed build the thing. There is plenty of my blood splatter
on the inside of the plane to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I did
the work on mine.

Old January 23rd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message ...

...There is plenty of my blood splatter on the inside of the plane to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I did the
work on mine.

So DNA analysis will help also, eh? ;-)

Old January 23rd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, I've been building my plane for the last 2 years. A wood and fabric
plans built.
I purchased the raw material and milled everything myself. Up until
recently I've
kept a buiders log on everything I have made, built, and glued.
Question. Do I need to log every minute? There are days after days of
cutting very small
pieces and glueing 1,2, and 3 peices at a time, let stand overnight,
and glue 2 pieces again.
There are times that its only 2 minutes. I'm not complaining, I'm
really enjoying the woodworking. But, do I need to log every minute or
is there a better way to log the week?
Lou

I started with a written log and bagged that idea quickly. When I was done
working for the night, I had no desire to take 30 seconds and make a logbook
entry. What I did instead was buy several of the little disposable cameras
and take pictures from time to time. My DAR had absolutely no problem with
that approach, particularly since it was obvious that my airplane was built
in an attached two car garage, which gives credibility to the idea of an
amateur built airplane...

KB

Old January 25th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

There is a shareware software builders log on my website. It can keep
track of photo's too.
http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Old January 25th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The only reason for you to maintain a detail builders log and log every
minute is if you want to document exactly how many hours you spent
working on the plane. Outside of that, you need only maintain a log
with sufficient detail to prove that you built the plane. Photos of
your progress throughtout the building process will be enough for even
the pickiest inspector.

Old January 26th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The photos and log do not have to be on paper. Having it on computer
records which the inspector can see is sufficient. When I finished my
plane it would have taken over two hundred pages to print all the
description and photos.

Old January 26th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

abripl wrote:
The photos and log do not have to be on paper. Having it on computer
records which the inspector can see is sufficient. When I finished my
plane it would have taken over two hundred pages to print all the
description and photos.

I documented the parasol on my personal web site.
Ot would ruin two reams to print it on paper.

He'll just have to settle for the on-line vrsion...

Richard