More Glider pictures 01

Old December 7th 07, 05:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Chris Jella[_2_]

Default More Glider pictures 01

Thanks to Ricardo I thought I'd post some of my glider pics. I love the
group, but never post. My grandfather, Elbert Jella, was a glider pilot in
the Varsity Mission in March of '45. Only glider pilot to carry a bazooka
and knocked out a German tank with it in the only all pilot and all officer
ground operation in military history. Voluteered with other pilots to
perform ground duties with the 194th Glider Infantry Regiment. The "Battle
of Burp Gun Corner" is what it was called. I was fortunate enough to grow
up around him. We lost him in 96. Fortunately he lived to recieve an
overlooked Silver Star in 95.
This picture is from his training at South Plains Army Airfield, Lubbock
Texas. Now home of the glider museum. He is second from the left.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElbertTrainingSmall.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	20209
Old December 7th 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
redc1c4

Chris Jella wrote:

Thanks to Ricardo I thought I'd post some of my glider pics. I love the
group, but never post. My grandfather, Elbert Jella, was a glider pilot in
the Varsity Mission in March of '45. Only glider pilot to carry a bazooka
and knocked out a German tank with it in the only all pilot and all officer
ground operation in military history. Voluteered with other pilots to
perform ground duties with the 194th Glider Infantry Regiment. The "Battle
of Burp Gun Corner" is what it was called. I was fortunate enough to grow
up around him. We lost him in 96. Fortunately he lived to recieve an
overlooked Silver Star in 95.
This picture is from his training at South Plains Army Airfield, Lubbock
Texas. Now home of the glider museum. He is second from the left.

[Image]

more on the story from the AFA magazine:

http://www.afa.org/magazine/valor/0396valor.asp

brave men all

redc1c4,
"To absent comrades!"
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old December 7th 07, 10:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

Chris Jella wrote:
Thanks to Ricardo I thought I'd post some of my glider pics. I love the
group, but never post. My grandfather, Elbert Jella, was a glider pilot in
the Varsity Mission in March of '45. Only glider pilot to carry a bazooka
and knocked out a German tank with it in the only all pilot and all officer
ground operation in military history. Voluteered with other pilots to
perform ground duties with the 194th Glider Infantry Regiment. The "Battle
of Burp Gun Corner" is what it was called. I was fortunate enough to grow
up around him. We lost him in 96. Fortunately he lived to recieve an
overlooked Silver Star in 95.
This picture is from his training at South Plains Army Airfield, Lubbock
Texas. Now home of the glider museum. He is second from the left.

Hi Chris,

Absolutely priceless. Thank you for posting your series of pictures - a
fitting tribute to very brave men, regardless of nationality!

Regards,

®i©ardo

--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old December 7th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Chris Jella[_2_]

Also for those interested, there is a video released this year that is
EXCELLENT if you you're interested in the American glider program. My
grandfather is on the website and on the video. It is an fantastic overview
of the glider program and its missions.
http://www.inecom.com/products/consu...FilmPhotos.asp

Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
What camera for pictures from a glider cockpit? Eric Greenwell Soaring 34 December 10th 05 06:19 AM
Pictures] Glider over Volcano Frederic Soaring 2 November 28th 05 04:38 PM
Late 30's glider pictures Al Soaring 1 November 26th 03 05:27 PM
Glider Humor Pictures Wanted John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL Soaring 5 October 14th 03 09:42 PM