Flying patterns

Old September 28th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Flying patterns

Where on the Web can I learn more about flying traffic patterns? I
see constant references to them in various sources, but nothing that
explains exactly when they are used, and how.

For example, after reading for a while, I think I now understand what
the crosswind, base, final, and downwind legs are. But I can't find
out how long these legs are supposed to be, or what radius or type of
turns are expected to move from leg to leg. Are these patterns of a
standard size, or do they vary from one airport to another? If all
VFR aircraft (or IFR aircraft too?) enter the pattern, and all at the
same altitude, how do they avoid collisions, especially with the
disparate speeds that one sees from one aircraft to another?

I trying flying some of these patterns in the sim this morning. I
didn't do too badly, but I think I was still off the mark. And I
don't know how tightly the pattern must be adhered to.

Does everyone enter the pattern no matter what the direction from
which they approach the airport? Does it always have to be an entry
at a certain spot from a certain angle? I'm confused about how these
work. Pointers to useful Web explanations would be most appreciated.

Old September 28th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Mxsmanic wrote:
[...]

All you question will be answered if you buy a copy of FAR/AIM.
"Federal Aviation Regulations / Airman's Information Manual"
Old September 28th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:

Where on the Web can I learn more about flying traffic patterns? I
see constant references to them in various sources, but nothing that
explains exactly when they are used, and how.

well, at least as far as things happen on this side of the pond,
you'll find plenty to read he

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge FAA-H-8083-25 Revised 2003;
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...ilot_handbook/
Airplane Flying Handbook FAA-H-8083-3 Revised 1999;
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...lane_handbook/

And there is plenty more where it comes from; for instance I
understand that you are a simmer, so may be would you also be
interested in reading a bit about instrument flying as well:

Instrument Flying Handbook FAA-H-8083-15 Revised 2001;
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...ying_handbook/
Instrument Procedures Handbook FAA-H-8261-1 Revised 2004;
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...ures_handbook/

But you'll also find the handbooks for flying helicopters or gliders or
balloons, etc.

And finally, lots of goodies to be found in the regulations (you
might want to start with Chapters 1, 61 and 91 of the regulations,
and read pretty much everything in the AIM):

2005 14 CFR (FAR) and AIM;
http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...a_regulations/

--Sylvain
Old September 28th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Please do NOT answer this troll.

Old September 28th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
om...
Please do NOT answer this troll.

What troll?

Old September 28th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Viperdoc wrote:
Please do NOT answer this troll.

Please do not tell me who to talk to.
Old September 28th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Stubby" wrote in message
Viperdoc wrote:
Please do NOT answer this troll.

Please do not tell me who to talk to.

Please don't eat the daisies.

Old September 28th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_3_]

Stubby wrote:
Viperdoc wrote:
Please do NOT answer this troll.

Please do not tell me who to talk to.

I INSIST you not feed the troll.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 29th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Get lost, troll.

Old September 29th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Stubby wrote:

Get lost, troll.