Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

Old September 11th 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

Hey Tom,

Indeed normal due diligence would apply for any deal that starts to get legs, and hav been gliding since 1982, I'm happy that there is a good team around that know how to run gliding clubs, I instruct at Lasham in the UK and that is a 7 day week operation averaging 60,000 launches a year - we have 700 members and over 200 private aircraft as well as a 20 aircraft club training fleet... its slick for sure and I would see no reason for major changes if there is a new owner but I would certainly want it to be run as an international gliding business not a private one.

However, if no one is really interested then it will go no further as I don't have the funds personally to fund it

cheers

Nick
Old September 11th 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Hal,

The whole purpose is not to make a return on the investment as a cash payable dividend to the shareholders, I would propose more of a benefit in kind - where shareholders get preferential launch fees, membership and accommodation etc which is why it's easier to put in between 1-5k and benefit all the while you own the share... its not being done on a commercial loan basis under any circumstances and depending on global gliding interest there could certainly be a couple of thousand interested parties throwing in some coin.

Renewing the fleet is certainly going to add between 3-500k but you would then have an incredible site and opportunity, freehold, and with a lot of shareholders promoting and talking about it thereby increasing its viability as a site - not just for the US market but for the global community due to the well known local attractions.

cheers

Old August 21st 19, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:27:58 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

What would be great if a wealthy soaring pilot purchased and donated to the SSA or put in a foundation so this property would always remain a glider port. Sorry, I am not currently cashed up to do this. Not sure why all the innuendo, this has been a beautiful place to fly for many east coast pilots and traveling pilots.
Old August 21st 19, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:27:58 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

Burt,

I'd say Minden is the nicest gliderport in the USA. I don't understand what a pool has to do with gliding.
Old August 21st 19, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't understand what a pool has to do with gliding.

Really? Let's see... you just landed back at Seminole after about four hours or so. The temperature is in the nineties, with humidity also right up there. There is the pool...with your significant other crewperson happily wiggling her toes in the water, with the handheld radio in reach. "Hey, welcome back! I've been listening and as soon as I heard you on final glide, I brought the cooler over. Grab a beer and hop in! The water's great! How was the flight?"

Well, it could happen. And it does regularly at Seminole and down the road at the hang gliding paradise at Wallaby Ranch.

Old August 24th 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 10:27:58 AM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Just saw this advert in Barnstormers.com

The nicest gliderport in the USA in my opinion. The swimming pool makes it so.

http://www.floridaairparkhomes.com/p...-for-sale.html

Rich Owen: Please reply if anything about the advert is not true.

Word has it that the pool was put there to fight any fire that may happen. I guess the trucks around Groveland doesn't carry water!
Old August 26th 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Gary,

The response time of a fire truck going to Seminole-Lake is one item that affects insurance premiums. Since we are a commercial entity that has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank next to a hangar, having a supply of water nearby is a very good thing. Next time your out, we have a metal fence around a small dog house box next to the office. Inside that box is a hook up just like a fire hydrant. A fire truck can use our pool water as a water source. As in most rural areas, we do not have any fire hydrants anywhere near the property.
Old August 26th 19, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:55:23 AM UTC-6, Rich Owen wrote:
Gary,

The response time of a fire truck going to Seminole-Lake is one item that affects insurance premiums. Since we are a commercial entity that has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank next to a hangar, having a supply of water nearby is a very good thing. Next time your out, we have a metal fence around a small dog house box next to the office. Inside that box is a hook up just like a fire hydrant. A fire truck can use our pool water as a water source. As in most rural areas, we do not have any fire hydrants anywhere near the property.

Um, spraying water on a fuel fire would be...bad. But I'd guess you already know that.
Old August 26th 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Ok,since ZO and 7T are trolling, what you folks doing on the Sailplane Gran Prix for 2020???? Best Tom. 711.thanks.

Old August 26th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 11:40:32 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:55:23 AM UTC-6, Rich Owen wrote:
Gary,

The response time of a fire truck going to Seminole-Lake is one item that affects insurance premiums. Since we are a commercial entity that has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank next to a hangar, having a supply of water nearby is a very good thing. Next time your out, we have a metal fence around a small dog house box next to the office. Inside that box is a hook up just like a fire hydrant. A fire truck can use our pool water as a water source. As in most rural areas, we do not have any fire hydrants anywhere near the property.

Um, spraying water on a fuel fire would be...bad. But I'd guess you already know that.

Yes, the fire fighters know that! They bring a nifty little device that injects something similar to liquid soap into the water they pump out of their pool to create a foam, which - hopefully - chokes off the O2 and extinguishes the fire.

Uli
'AS'