Grob 109

Old November 12th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Roberts

Default Grob 109

On Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:02:56 AM UTC-7, Brien wrote:
Thinking of buying a 109A need to know the good the bad and the ugly of it.
Just what do I need to know about it, I have had people say stay away from
it others say it is good if you know how to fly it ?

Brien,
Contact Yankee Composites in Lakeport, CA. He is just finishing a Grob 109 that he says the owner is thinking of selling.
Old April 9th 16, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 4:02:56 PM UTC+2, Brien wrote:
Thinking of buying a 109A need to know the good the bad and the ugly of it.
Just what do I need to know about it, I have had people say stay away from
it others say it is good if you know how to fly it ?

can you airstart the motor if battery has too little power ?

Cheers Peterd
Old April 11th 16, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Wray[_3_]

On Saturday, 9 April 2016 10:28:06 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 4:02:56 PM UTC+2, Brien wrote:
Thinking of buying a 109A need to know the good the bad and the ugly of it.
Just what do I need to know about it, I have had people say stay away from
it others say it is good if you know how to fly it ?

can you airstart the motor if battery has too little power ?

Cheers Peterd

Yes, I do it all the time.
Old April 12th 16, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert M

On Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 8:35:28 PM UTC-6, jeplane wrote:

Here is the scoop:

- Grob is no longer represented in the US. Parts availability is
starting to be a problem.

Grob gliders and motorgliders are not orphans.

I represent both Grob Aerospace, who support both models of the G-109 and Fiberglas-Technik Rudolf Lindner who supports the G-102, G-103 and G-104 gliders and selflaunch gliders.

Grob Aerospace has a friendly customer support lady who has been very helpful in making sure I order the correct parts for customers and getting them out the door quickly.

Lindner has provided wonderful support the the 102, 103 and 104. Almost every part customers have needed have been available off the shelve. Including canopies.

I am authorized to repair all Grob models mentioned above.

Motors for the 109s is an issue. Almost all owners I speak to want more power. The problem comes when thinking about alternative motors for a U.S. Type Certificated aircraft. I know of no reasonable priced alternatives but if some one comes up with a viable option and has the money to make it happen I'll help in any way I can.

Robert Mudd
A&P, I.A. Commercial and CFI for Gliders and Airplanes, Single and MEL
Composite Aircraft Repair LLC
Moriarty, New Mexico USA

Old September 19th 17, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Robert,

As I recently purchased a Grob 109a, this thread popped up when I searched for parts.

If you still have access to parts I'd love to talk to you; actually I'll talk to anyone with parts availability.

Thanks, Dan
914dan.senecal at GMail dot com
Old September 23rd 17, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan
I own a G-109A in eastern Tennessee.
I have had great response from contacting grob directly, the service rep I have worked with is Kim, e-mail below.
Jarmer Kim
If you are associated with a club mention it, I received a club discount from them.
bob

Old April 30th 19, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 13:29:00 UTC-7, wrote:
Robert,

As I recently purchased a Grob 109a, this thread popped up when I searched for parts.

If you still have access to parts I'd love to talk to you; actually I'll talk to anyone with parts availability.

Thanks, Dan
914dan.senecal at GMail dot com

Dan I have a 109 that I am parting out. If you need anything let me know. No wings engine or prop. Great leather seats and most of the control linkage.
instruments and radios being tested. DAVE San Francisco 415 563-4803
Old July 12th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hej jag undrar var typ skylten sitter på en Grov G109 jag hittar inte den
Old July 13th 19, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I delivered a 109A from Arizona to the east coast. Out west, it didn't do well with the density altitude. I could climb OR keep the engine at a reasonable temperature. It couldn't do both at the same time. It was more manageable once I got to lower elevations of the midwest.

Once you eventually get up to altitude, it does scoot along pretty well. That's about the only thing that it did well.

I worked a few strong thermals in Arizona, but you have to imagine flying a 2-33... ballasted to double its gross weight. I wouldn't plan on doing much soaring unless you live somewhere with strong conditions.

Its frankly not a very good airplane and not a very good glider. I'm not sure what your intentions and expectations are, but I think that most people would be better off buying a Cessna 150 and/or a Libelle.
Old July 13th 19, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 00:21:15 -0700, sbaircraft wrote:

Its frankly not a very good airplane and not a very good glider. I'm not
sure what your intentions and expectations are, but I think that most
people would be better off buying a Cessna 150 and/or a Libelle.

I've seen that from the other side - I once met a G109 under a nice big
cloud while flying my H201 Libelle and hugely outclimbed it without
really trying. At the time I put that down the the 109 belonging to an
Air Cadet squadron and quite possibly being flown by the cadet.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Grob Bob O'Rilley Soaring 3 April 29th 05 07:22 PM
Grob G-102 maintenance Stephen Szikora Soaring 4 November 25th 04 10:49 AM
Grob 103 SL R.W. Carpenter Soaring 2 March 21st 04 11:21 PM
WTB Grob 109 b Steve B Soaring 10 July 21st 03 06:54 PM
GROB 102 Vorsanger1 Soaring 4 July 11th 03 11:34 PM