Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Old June 21st 15, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Wow. Just re-read this and spellcheck won that battle big time. Here is a corrected version:

Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will fade out of view and never be available to YOUNGER generations who today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.

- end of rant

Jaun - I own two copies of the DVD! iTunes honors creative rights in the same way as DVD licensing. How is it different? I would think the marketing reach of iTunes would help sales a great deal!

Sunship game is one of my favorite movies. I will just make a copy to watch on my iPhone.

Sean
Old June 21st 15, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman[_2_]

On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Wow. Just re-read this and spellcheck won that battle big time. Here is a corrected version:

Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will fade out of view and never be available to YOUNGER generations who today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.

- end of rant

Jaun - I own two copies of the DVD! iTunes honors creative rights in the same way as DVD licensing. How is it different? I would think the marketing reach of iTunes would help sales a great deal!

Sunship game is one of my favorite movies. I will just make a copy to watch on my iPhone.

Sean

Sean, I was addressing the idea of putting the film on YouTube for free viewing. The day that films are only on iTunes will be a problem for filmmakers, who receive very little revenue from iTunes or Netflix. Same as is happening in music with the disappearance of CDs.

Juan
Old June 21st 15, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 7:02:20 AM UTC+3, Juanman wrote:
Sean, I was addressing the idea of putting the film on YouTube for free viewing. The day that films are only on iTunes will be a problem for filmmakers, who receive very little revenue from iTunes or Netflix. Same as is happening in music with the disappearance of CDs.

I don't know about Netflix, but film owners receive 70% of the sale price on iTunes, the same as musicians or iPhone App writers.

That's a ten times higher percentage of the retail price than you ever got from selling a physical DVD in a store, with a long distribution chain.

Even selling physical DVDs yourself from home by mail (internet) order, your margins probably aren't near 70%, as you have to pay to make the DVD and case and for shipping.
Old June 21st 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

How many more copies of 'Sunship Game' does the owner expect to sell? And how long will he have to wait to sell those copies? I'd expect that most people who would pay cash to view this documentary have already bought it.

What would it cost to buy the rights to "Sunship Game" and make it freely available?

Is it better to sell relatively few copies of Sunship Game, or have it viewed by potentially larger numbers of people?

If the Bee Gees sound track is the distribution problem, then maybe it could be overdubbed.
Old September 25th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For all you Sunship Game enthusiasts, I have produced a beautiful book of Gleb's work as a fashion photographer which I am sure you will all love. Be sure to look it up on Amazon. Capturing Fashion Derujinsky was a labor of love. Thanks, Andrea Derujinsky

Old March 1st 18, 10:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan S

On Sunday, 21 June 2015 02:22:22 UTC+1, Sean Fidler wrote:
Wow. Just re-read this and spellcheck won that battle big time. Here is a corrected version:

Sunship game should be on YouTube and iTunes! DVDs are so 90's. Who's making the decision to only offer DVDs. In 2 years DVD players will no longer exist. Please reconsider the current strategy or the movie will fade out of view and never be available to YOUNGER generations who today look at DVD players the same way we look at 8 track tape.

- end of rant

Jaun - I own two copies of the DVD! iTunes honors creative rights in the same way as DVD licensing. How is it different? I would think the marketing reach of iTunes would help sales a great deal!

Sunship game is one of my favorite movies. I will just make a copy to watch on my iPhone.

Sean

I'd love to get a hold of this DVD but I'm not in the US and £40 is a bit steep for me. I'd happily pay to view it on iTunes or YouTube. Does anyone know if this is available outside the US or electronically anywhere? I don't even own a DVD player TBH.
Old March 1st 18, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 02:21:01 -0800, Dan S wrote:

[...]

There is or was an AVI copy somewhere on the 'net but its got two serious
defects: its low resolution (about 512x450) and blurry even at that size.
Watch it full screen and it doesn't get any better, just bigger. I think
its a transcription from film made with a domestic quality digitiser.
I've seen better quality videos made by converting 8mm home movies.

Just bite the bullet and buy the DVD. After all it is the only
professionally made cinema verite film about a soaring competition.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 2nd 18, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Monday, August 17, 2009 at 11:07:45 AM UTC-5, Guy Byars wrote:
Many of us remember major events of the summer of 1969: Haight-
Ashbury, Manson, Woodstock, Apollo-Moon, Chappaquiddick. But a lot
was also going on that summer in a small town in southern Texas...
Marfa!

To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the 1969 US Soaring Nationals
in Marfa TX, I have put the entire movie "The Sun Ship Game" on
youtube.

Some notes about the movie on youtube:

To get under the 10 minute limit, the movie is broken into 8
parts.

The original movie had numerous musical tracks from the BeeGees. I
had to mute/remove these for youtube. Youtube has a very clever music
scanner that flagged them as copyright violations. So you will
experience silence instead of the BeeGee tracks. No major loss.

In some places, the audio and video get out of sync by a second or
so. But since most of the dialog is in the form of voiceovers, this
is not a serious problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSj_POL6u0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpksxkyOTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQU4OqqVxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenw-cueqio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae14HGvxSgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzMYIcrTMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCT5-lyw8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJmNSdA1u4

I have uploaded, and watched, lots of YouTube (home) movies longer than 10 minutes. Hmmmmm.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I clicked on the first link, got to Youtube with a black screen, and the
message, "This video is unavailable.

On 3/2/2018 6:32 AM, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old March 2nd 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

I bit the bullet and ordered a copy from Amazon this week. It sounds like this is a must-see for aspiring glider pilots.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL
ASW-19

Hello Game Lovers, Welcome to the money game world ss Soaring 0 May 17th 09 02:02 PM
OLC and YouTube Paul Cordell Soaring 0 January 4th 08 07:59 PM
For Sale, King Avionics, Complete ship set removed from P210 Al G[_1_] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 26th 07 10:38 PM
The Sun Ship Game and the 1969 US Nationals Jon Clarke Soaring 2 April 17th 06 03:02 AM
Sun Ship Game Video [email protected] Soaring 1 February 18th 05 06:18 PM