Private airport insurance?

Old August 28th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

Default Private airport insurance?

Anyone know home much it would cost to insure a private airport? I know
some people with private fields on the sectional "No landings without prior
permission of owner" and they will tell you that it's open to all their
friends, but they don't have any insurance. I'm thinking that they are
really leaving themselves open to lawsuits if someone gets hurt due to a
rough landing (or worse). I also notice that more than a few private fields
are for sale, and I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons why.

Old August 28th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_1_]

"Ken Finney" wrote in message
Anyone know home much it would cost to insure a private airport? I know
some people with private fields on the sectional "No landings without
prior permission of owner" and they will tell you that it's open to all
their friends, but they don't have any insurance. I'm thinking that they
are really leaving themselves open to lawsuits if someone gets hurt due to
a rough landing (or worse). I also notice that more than a few private
fields are for sale, and I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons why.

What is sad is that having a private field SHOULDN'T leave you open to any
liability (short of advertising an airfield and digging a ditch down the
middle to intentionally cause accidents). Short of something that nuts, why
would you as a property owner be liable if I can't control my airplane?
Lawyers suck.

Old August 28th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jeff wrote:

What is sad is that having a private field SHOULDN'T leave you open to any
liability (short of advertising an airfield and digging a ditch down the
middle to intentionally cause accidents). Short of something that nuts, why
would you as a property owner be liable if I can't control my airplane?
Lawyers suck.

Here in Montana the legislature this year ammended an existing law that
now says an owner of a private airport cannot be sued if a pilot crashes
on this private airport. As long as it is a non commercial aircraft
operation the airport owner is untouchable. Now the airport owner no
longer has to have you sign a release in advance to protect himself.
Old August 28th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Newps" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:

What is sad is that having a private field SHOULDN'T leave you open to
any liability (short of advertising an airfield and digging a ditch down
the middle to intentionally cause accidents). Short of something that
nuts, why would you as a property owner be liable if I can't control my
airplane? Lawyers suck.

Here in Montana the legislature this year ammended an existing law that
now says an owner of a private airport cannot be sued if a pilot crashes
on this private airport. As long as it is a non commercial aircraft
operation the airport owner is untouchable. Now the airport owner no
longer has to have you sign a release in advance to protect himself.

Thanks, I was wondering if some State had done something like this. I'll
have to search the net and see if Washington State has done something
similar.

On a similar note: Washington State did pass a law several years ago that
says that horse-riding is an inherently dangerous activity, and the horse
owner can't be held liable if someone falls off the person's horse (or words
to that effect). I know this because a friend of mine had a horse for sale,
a woman came out to "test drive" it, fell off, was seriously hurt and sued
him (just after the law took effect). It turns out the woman had made a
career off of doing this, and didn't know about the new law. However, this
time (unlike the previous times) she was seriously hurt (partial paralysis,
IIRC) and couldn't collect. My friend's insurance company did pay her $10K
just to go away, but she suffered BIG TIME. There is a God! ;^)

Old August 28th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Ken Finney wrote:

On a similar note: Washington State did pass a law several years ago that
says that horse-riding is an inherently dangerous activity, and the horse
owner can't be held liable if someone falls off the person's horse (or words
to that effect).

CT has a GREAT landowner liability law that protects landowners from
many lawsuits from hikers, mountain bikers, trail riding equestrians,
fisherman, or any other potentially dangerous activity that the
landowner allows by strangers. It is limited to non-motorized
activities, and the protection dissappears if the landowner charges a
fee for access.

You'd think something similar would be useful to privately owned airports.
Old September 11th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:42:31 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

CT has a GREAT landowner liability law that protects landowners from
many lawsuits from hikers, mountain bikers, trail riding equestrians,
fisherman, or any other potentially dangerous activity that the
landowner allows by strangers. It is limited to non-motorized
activities, and the protection dissappears if the landowner charges a
fee for access.

You'd think something similar would be useful to privately owned airports.

Every state in the U.S. has a similar law, though details vary.
Generally called "recreational liability statutes", they protect a
landowner who makes his land available (without charge) for
recreational purposes. Barry, the CT law is NOT limited to non
motorized activities.

No reason why it wouldn't apply to a private airport, as long as the
owner isn't charging a landing fee or hangar rent.

For a comprehensive list of these statutes for all states:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/archive/article/123/

-Dana

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
But do you trust the _government_ with semi-automatic assault rifles?
Old August 28th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Newps" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:

What is sad is that having a private field SHOULDN'T leave you open to
any liability (short of advertising an airfield and digging a ditch down
the middle to intentionally cause accidents). Short of something that
nuts, why would you as a property owner be liable if I can't control my
airplane? Lawyers suck.

Here in Montana the legislature this year ammended an existing law that
now says an owner of a private airport cannot be sued if a pilot crashes
on this private airport. As long as it is a non commercial aircraft
operation the airport owner is untouchable. Now the airport owner no
longer has to have you sign a release in advance to protect himself.

I tried Yahoo and Google and couldn't find the law you mention. Any change
you know the name or number of it?

Old August 28th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Ken Finney wrote:

Here in Montana the legislature this year ammended an existing law that
now says an owner of a private airport cannot be sued if a pilot crashes
on this private airport. As long as it is a non commercial aircraft
operation the airport owner is untouchable. Now the airport owner no
longer has to have you sign a release in advance to protect himself.

I tried Yahoo and Google and couldn't find the law you mention. Any change
you know the name or number of it?

Yes, it was Senate Bill 318. Here's a blurb from the Montana Pilots
Assoc website. The Governor signed the bill inot law on April 30th.

The MPA Recreational Airstrip Committee and the Recreational Aviation
Foundation are working to amend Montana's recreational use statute to
include private airstrips

A year ago the Recreational Aviation Foundation (RAF) received a grant
from the Alfred Wolfe Foundation to hire a UM law student to research
the various states' recreational use statutes to see if aviation was
included. Only Idaho included aviation in their recreational use
statute. The law student, under the guidance of his professor, studied
the efficacy of Montana's recreational use statute and then drafted an
amendment to the Montana law. The amendment defines “airstrip” as either
improved or unimproved landing areas used by pilots and excludes
municipal airports.

The purpose of recreational use statutes is to limit landowner liability
when they allow their lands to be used for public recreation without
compensation. Montana’s current recreational statute lists activities
such as fishing, hunting, hiking, biking, winter sports, camping and
many others, but aviation is not mentioned. Incorporating aviation into
the statute could result in more recreational use airstrips and
encourage landowners to maintain their airstrips, thus providing more
landing sites for emergency or precautionary landings.

Following the drafting of the proposed legislation, the RAF took the
document to the Montana Pilots’ Association (MPA). The MPA is now in the
process of moving this legislation through the legislative process in
the 2007 session in Helena. The bill (SB 318) has been introduced into
the Senate by Senator Jim Peterson of Buffalo, Mont. (Senate District 15).

When this bill comes up for committee hearings it is imperative that as
many pilots as possible attend to show the House Judiciary Committee how
important this legislation is to the aviation community. You do not need
to testify, however oral or written testimony is very important. Any
landowner with an airstrip should be involved in passing this
legislation; they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. There is
usually a week's notice given for hearings which allows schedule
planning. If your schedule prevents you from attending the hearing then
please write or call both your legislators, personal contact on this
bill is very important. If you do not know who your legislators are, you
can find your districts on your voter registration card and then go to:
www.leg.mt.gov.

If you are not able to attend the hearing, a letter should be sent to
your legislators or as a last choice, a phone message can be left for
your legislators by calling the legislative message center at
406-444-4800. A good example of a letter to a legislator is the one sent
by Chuck Jarecki to Representative Janna Taylor, use this as a guide but
use your own words.

The MPA is maintaining a list of MPA members and RAF supporters who
would like to be notified of the hearing schedule. Please send your
name, e-mail address and phone number to MPA/RAF director Chuck Jarecki
at: . If you have questions or need additional
information Jarecki is the one to contact.
Old August 28th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Newps" wrote in message

Ken Finney wrote:

Here in Montana the legislature this year ammended an existing law that
now says an owner of a private airport cannot be sued if a pilot crashes
on this private airport. As long as it is a non commercial aircraft
operation the airport owner is untouchable. Now the airport owner no
longer has to have you sign a release in advance to protect himself.

I tried Yahoo and Google and couldn't find the law you mention. Any
change you know the name or number of it?

Yes, it was Senate Bill 318. Here's a blurb from the Montana Pilots Assoc
website. The Governor signed the bill inot law on April 30th.

snip

Thanks. I've going to bring this issue up to the Washington Pilots
Association.