P-51D

Old July 15th 05, 02:58 AM
Big John

Default P-51D

Any further info on this Heavy Iron accident?

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````

NTSB

On July 9, 2005, at 1020 central daylight time, a North American
P-51D, N10607, collided with the terrain following a loss of engine
power on takeoff from runway 18 (3,773 feet by 60 feet, concrete) at
the Peterson Municipal Airport (K57), Tarkio, Missouri. The airline
transport rated pilot was seriously injured. The airplane was
substantially damaged. The 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91
personal flight was operating in visual meteorological conditions
without a flight plan. The flight was originating at the time of the
accident.

The pilot reported that he experienced a total loss of engine power on
takeoff. He stated he banked to the left to avoid the 30 foot dike off
the end of the runway. He stated that when he banked the airplane, the
left wing contacted the ground. The airplane then rocked to the right
and the right wing contacted the ground prior to the airplane coming
to rest.

Old July 16th 05, 05:37 AM
Jay Honeck

Any further info on this Heavy Iron accident?

NTSB

On July 9, 2005, at 1020 central daylight time, a North American
P-51D, N10607, collided with the terrain following a loss of engine
power on takeoff from runway 18

Sad. That's "Barbara Jean," the Mustang and pilot who made a terrific
appearance at our local "Big Kids Toy Show" in May. I've got quite a few
publicity shots they took with our Mustang convertible "posing" with that
beautifully polished P-51.

I was in Seattle throughout, and missed all the fun -- but from everything
I've heard the pilot was a truly generous gentleman, giving rides to a few
volunteers and asking nothing in return.

Friends have told me that he walked away with just a "scratch on his
elbow" -- which surely contradicts the NTSB's description of his "serious"
injuries. If I hear more, I'll let you know.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 17th 05, 07:20 AM
Big John

Jay

Tnx for background.

As you may remember, I have about 650 hrs in the bird and am always
interested in any accidents that takes one of the few left flying out
of the gene pool.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````

Old July 17th 05, 02:06 PM
Jay Honeck

Tnx for background.

As you may remember, I have about 650 hrs in the bird and am always
interested in any accidents that takes one of the few left flying out
of the gene pool.

No problem. I hate to see this sort of thing happen, too. With so few
left, I don't want Mustangs to become like the Boeing 307 -- only seen in
pictures and museums.

Unfortunately, drawing the trend lines out into the future, that scenario is
inevitable -- but let's hope we can extend it out as far as possible.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 17th 05, 02:54 PM
Wizard of Draws

On 7/17/05 9:06 AM, in article nJsCe.182276$xm3.13043@attbi_s21, "Jay
Honeck" spewed:

Tnx for background.

As you may remember, I have about 650 hrs in the bird and am always
interested in any accidents that takes one of the few left flying out
of the gene pool.

No problem. I hate to see this sort of thing happen, too. With so few
left, I don't want Mustangs to become like the Boeing 307 -- only seen in
pictures and museums.

Unfortunately, drawing the trend lines out into the future, that scenario is
inevitable -- but let's hope we can extend it out as far as possible.

I assume the answer is yes, but I'll ask it anyway. Are the plans and
drawings still available to rebuild these planes from scratch?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old July 17th 05, 04:38 PM
George Patterson

Wizard of Draws wrote:

I assume the answer is yes, but I'll ask it anyway. Are the plans and
drawings still available to rebuild these planes from scratch?

The stumbling block there is the limited supply of Packard engines. It would be
astronomically expensive to start making those again.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 17th 05, 08:06 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:06:27 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Unfortunately, drawing the trend lines out into the future, that scenario is
inevitable -- but let's hope we can extend it out as far as possible.

aren't humans weired? they are happy to see war machines
(yeah, I know ... people kill people).
if mice are happy to see any mouse traps?

#m
--
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed,
most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we
Old July 17th 05, 09:05 PM
Peter Duniho

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
news
aren't humans weired? they are happy to see war machines

Well, for many it's more about the technical achievement that war drives
humanity to. The war itself is seen as glorious by some, but have that
impression isn't necessary in order to appreciate war technology.

That said, I personally find it ironic that people bemoan the loss of an
object that was designed specifically for the purpose of putting it into
harm's way. We destroyed thousands (?) of these planes through their normal
usage, but lose one or two here and there each year, and it's some great
loss.

if mice are happy to see any mouse traps?

If there was a mouse out there that had the capacity to appreciate
technological achievement, that mouse would probably be happy to see a
well-designed mouse trap. There are plenty of people who are appreciative
of the technological achievements of "the enemy" (today, the Japanese and
German aircraft are studied and appreciative as well as Allied models).

Pete

Old July 17th 05, 09:33 PM
gregg

Peter Duniho wrote:

That said, I personally find it ironic that people bemoan the loss of an
object that was designed specifically for the purpose of putting it into
harm's way. We destroyed thousands (?) of these planes through their
normal usage, but lose one or two here and there each year, and it's some
great loss.

If 14,000 of them remained, maybe people would not consider losing one or
two as great a loss. Except, of course, the owners (and assuming no one got
hurt).

From http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51...rs/index.shtml

Total Complete P-51 Survivors 281
P-51's in airworthy condition 152
On Display (non-flying) 57
Repairs / Restoration 45
In Storage 22
Unknown 5

that's 152 flyables out of something like 14,000 built. Probably less than
152 as P-51D 44-74466 "Barbara Jean" had an engine failure last weekend and
ended up bent and battered - luckily the pilot is safe.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old July 17th 05, 10:42 PM
Peter Duniho

"gregg" wrote in message
If 14,000 of them remained, maybe people would not consider losing one or
two as great a loss. Except, of course, the owners (and assuming no one
got
hurt).

A single P-51 lost still represents well under 1% of the total fleet. What
percentage was lost during their intended use? A lot greater than that, I'd
guess.