Stop whining, America!

Old August 27th 05, 12:56 AM
Bob Fry

"MB" == Matt Barrow writes:
MB Gee..the prices went up WORLD WIDE! Is he president of the
MB World?

He thinks he is.

Old August 27th 05, 01:36 AM
Morgans

"Dave Stadt" wrote

The key is speed. A boat runs most efficiently at "hull speed" which is
a function of length. If you want to push the hull faster than that,
fuel consumption goes up ridiculously, even worse than with airplanes.

True, and it is the rare stink-pot that goes at hull speed. g That is why
they have big engines; go fast and make noise, while burning lots of
hydrocarbons. ;-)

Only true when talking about displacement hulls. Has nothing to do with
planing hulls which include the vast majority of power boats. Planing

hulls
burn a tremendous amount of fuel untill they reach planing speed.

With the type of Great Lakes cruiser, or ocean cruiser that we are talking
about, having two 350 V-8's, most are semi-planing displacement hulls. They
do get up on plane to a degree, but there is still a lot of displacement
going on.

Most run at around 55% power, so that still comes out to a lot of gas for
two 275 HP (or more) motors.

The saying goes, that if you have to ask how much gas they burn, you can't
afford owning them. Lots of truth, there.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 27th 05, 01:53 AM
Eduardo K.

In article ,
Don Tuite wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:08:32 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo K.
wrote:

In some more time cars will eb affected too by the gas prices. I just bought
a big car less than half bluebook because everybody is dumping cars
that get less than 30/35mpg. Top seller is the Toyota Yaris (cheaper
version of the Echo) at 40mpg and the Fiat Palio at 38mpg.

(down here is Chile, SouthAmerica, where gas has now reached 1.25 us dolars
a liter. US$5 a galon.)

Welcome back to the NG.

thanks. i am always lurking

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | "World domination, now"
Old August 27th 05, 02:28 AM

W P Dixon wrote:
Yep that one was silly I've never been in the Great Lakes but I sure have
been across the ocean. I have seen waves coming over the flight deck of a
carrier and destroyers spending more time under the water than on the
surface. The outside of a hurricane is a very interesting experience at sea.
I think you under estimate the power of the open sea and definitely under
estimate the ability of a professional sailor.

There is a great book out there called "Fatal Storm" about the 1998
Sydney-Hobart yacht race, which was hit by a massive storm in a similar
fashion to the 1979 Fastnet race. There are a few great stories in it
of rescues made by other sailboats and one account of an oceangoing
tramp steamer pulling alongside a stricken 40' sailboat and winching
the crew right off the deck--in Beaufort 11 conditions. Puts the
Perfect Storm to shame, largely because there were survivors to tell
what really happened. Definitely not a book to take on your next
cruise.

-cwk.

Old August 27th 05, 02:49 AM
W P Dixon

I only did the one cruise, which was plenty because of where we ended up.
But being at sea was really beautiful. Whenever I get down and out about
things I think of all I have done and accomplished , and thinking of the
times just looking out at the ocean and seeing nothing but ocean always
makes me smile. My favorite was the waterspouts ! That was just so cool!
Heck at times you could see 6 or 7 at a time. And my 21st birthday bash in
Cadiz, Spain was pretty good. Took the 10 days to cross the Atlantic to
recoup! HAHAHA
Heck my Dad is getting close to 70 and everytime I have ever been around
a beach with the old Navy vet he takes a deep breath and says "Home Again".

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Mark T. Dame" wrote in message
W P Dixon wrote:

Sitting on the bow of that carrier with your legs hanging off the
front of the ship, playing guitar under a beautiful clear sky full of
stars as far as you can see, the sounds of the waves on the hull as she
pushes her way onward to the next port. Sometimes when you are there it
is hard to believe the awesome force and violence that the same ocean can
give you on any other day at any other time.

You're making me miss it... Nothing quite like being on a flattop in the
middle of the Pacific as far away from land as possible without leaving
the planet... It was the same feeling I get now on a long cross-country
flight on a calm moon-lit night.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development

Old August 27th 05, 02:51 AM
john smith

Dave Stadt wrote:
The statement does not exclude him from chasing Mary in Iowa same as he did
in Wisconsin. No implication on my part.

Why do you say it was Mary he was chasing?
Old August 27th 05, 04:05 AM
George Patterson

Matt Whiting wrote:
Dave Stadt wrote:

Jay loved in Wisconsin. Lake Michigan and all you know.

Are you implying that he doesn't love in Iowa? Sorry to hear that, Jay!

Well, he got married. From the "Devil's Dictionary" -
Love: n.; a form of temporary insanity curable either by marraige or by removal
of the victim from the circumstances under which he contracted the affliction.
It is sometimes fatal, but more often to the physician than to the patient."

George Patterson
Old August 27th 05, 04:23 AM
Jay Honeck

Ocean waves are very far apart so even a 30 foot wave is no big deal,
great
lakes waves are very close together and very steep. Get down in the
trough
of an ocean wave and the water just rolls underneath you. Get in a trough
of a good sized wave on the great lakes and you are looking at a near
verticle wall of water.

Remember the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"? That was a giant (729 foot)
lake freighter, which was either broken in two or driven under by the waves
of a Great Lakes November storm. See http://www.ssefo.com/ fore more info.

The Great Lakes are nothing like an inland lake. I've watched many awesome
storms (thankfully from shore) that generated waves of almost unbelievable
violence, frequency and intensity.

And the closest I've ever felt to death was on a small car ferry, crossing
"Death's Door" (the gap between Washington Island and Gill's Rock, at the
tip of the Door Peninsula in Lake Michigan) during an October storm. The
waves were awesome, and the skeletons of many, many wrecks litter the bottom
of Lake Michigan in that area.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 27th 05, 04:28 AM
Jay Honeck

The statement does not exclude him from chasing Mary in Iowa same as he
did
in Wisconsin. No implication on my part.

Why do you say it was Mary he was chasing?

Hey, *I'm* not the guy bringing cute little French girl pilots to Oshkosh...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA