Overstuffed panels

Old January 31st 12, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Overstuffed panels

This is in response to threads on FLARM and Mirasol displays which I
think relate in a general way.

If you back up 100 meters and think outside the box, we've been facing
restricted panel space for a long time. FLARM is just the latest
gadget but it may be the proverbial "straw".

A solution has been found in the airplane community - glass cockpits.
Old "steam gauges" display information very inefficiently. You just
don't need an 80mm dial to display altitude when a simple 5 digit
numeric display and/or tape can do it much better in a quarter the
space.

Imagine a panel-sized tablet computer with a Mirasol display running
glider-specific "glass cockpit" software. Mount the tablet in a
hinged frame so it can be raised and pushed forward to reveal a few
standby "steam gauges" for use if the electronics go belly-up. Since
the glass cockpit is merely software, it can be updated and tailored
to any pilots desires. Instead of new gadgets, you add new software
features. The display can change with a push of a stick mounted
button to emphasize moving maps or whatever is important at the
moment. Fortunately, the requisite "air-data" sensors are available
to feed the computer.

Of course, there will be strenuous objections but they'll be
essentially the same ones heard in the airplane community before glass
took over.
Old January 31st 12, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

On Jan 31, 9:29*am, Bill D wrote:
[...]

Amen to that. I would like to have an integrated EFIS display with
vario, speed, altimeter and a radio with transponder, etc. The
installation process would be simplified. Do you supposed that if
someone would approach Garmin would they create G500/600 Sailplane
Edition?

Jacek
Old January 31st 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

almost all LX Navigation and LX Nav flight computers can already display
FLARM data right on their main display
assuming that FLARM is approved then all of these should also be usable
without having to add another portable unit on top of the glareshield or in
front of an airspeed indicator that you may want to be able to see for some
reason......of course with you have all the data on the glarshield there
really isn't any reason to have to look outside anyway.....
tim

signature database 6844 (20120131) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6844 (20120131) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old January 31st 12, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

Tim,

Are they supporting US flarm frequencies now? They were only
supporting European.

Charlie

http://www.eset.com- Hide quoted text -

Old January 31st 12, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Charlie - Use a PowerFLARM to feed into the LX.
Do not use the LX version of FLARM in USA.
Hope that's clear !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Old January 31st 12, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

On Jan 31, 12:44*pm, ASM wrote:
On Jan 31, 9:29*am, Bill D wrote:

[...]

Jacek- Hide quoted text -

Actually, you can do most of that with one box. When I was looking for
an EFIS to install in my HP a few years ago, I looked at MGL Avionics
Enigma system. It the time, I had an HP18, and it wouldn't fit in the
fairly small panel the way I had it laid out. I decided on using a
Dynon D10A instead. It works fine, but doesn't have near the
capability of the Enigma. Here's a link: http://www.mglavionics.com/html/enigma.html.
A have a larger panel with the HP16, and wish I had purchased the
Enigma.

The system is fully customizable. There is a simple app that allows
you to create your own screens. They have a free PC simulator that you
can use to test them. I created several screens and really liked what
you could do. I had one screen for checklists. Another for normal
flight with a nice color moving map display, airspeed including TAS on
the left, Altimeter and VSI on the right, compass at the top. I set
them up as tape instruments, wih a digital readout at the top of the
tape. I created another page with the standard six pack instruments in
the left quadrant, an HSI including GPS nav with vertical navagation
in the upper right quadrant, and a moving map display on the lower
half.

If you have a motor, all it's readings (temp, RPM, pressure, etc) can
also be displayed. You can create a screen with all that information
displayed while the engine is on. When it's off, push a button to
change to another page without engine info, so you have a less
cluttered display. What I'm getting it, is you can make it do and look
like you want.

It also allows you to control several different radios. It also will
display not only Flarm, but XRX, TCAS, and TIS traffic info.

The last thing is that MGL is willing to add requested features. It's
simply a software upgrade.

Charlie
Old February 1st 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

It will all be done with your smart phone before long. Someone is
working on bluetooth vario add bluetooth airspeed and you will be able
to get whatever you want a bunch of different ways.

Old February 1st 12, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On Jan 31, 8:42*pm, "
wrote:
It will all be done with your smart phone before long. *Someone is
working on bluetooth vario add bluetooth airspeed and you will be able
to get whatever you want a bunch of different ways.
On Jan 31, 6:15*pm, cfinn wrote:

It is already here. I saw this company about a month ago. Pretty
interesting stuff what they are doing with phones and ipad type
devices wirelessly!

http://www.aviation.levil.com/AHRS_mini.htm

Bruno - B4

Aluminum panels Dico Owning 7 May 8th 06 10:10 PM
Help with fs2004 panels Rob Simulators 0 July 4th 05 08:29 PM
Panels for the Parhelia (formerly "Not much here") Warren Simulators 6 January 16th 05 11:43 PM
Glass panels: what OS? Bruce Horn Piloting 84 June 28th 04 08:31 AM
FSCOF 2d panels gone Mongo Simulators 10 August 3rd 03 12:07 AM