Subaru Outback...how well does it tow a sailplane trailer?

Old June 17th 13, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Subaru Outback...how well does it tow a sailplane trailer?

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:58:27 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've used my wife's Subaru Outback, 3.6 liter, flat six, auto trans, to tow

my LAK-17a in its LAK-T5 trailer from TSA (Midlothian, TX) to Moriarty, NM

and twice from Moriarty to Jean, NV and back.

So long as the trailer is properly loaded, it tows just fine. Comparing it

to my Ford Edge which, being heavier, tows a bit better, the Subaru gets

much better gas mileage than the Ford (towing or not).

It won't carry as much as one of the giant SUVs but, still, I would

recommend the Subaru.

wrote in message

I'm curious how a late model Subaru Outback handles the load of a

sailplane trailer. I'm looking at a 3.6 liter V6 with auto trans.

If you use an Outback as a tow vehicle, please share your experiences and

detail the motor size, transmission, and towing terrain.

Thanks

ben

Dan - what year Outback does your wife have?
Old June 17th 13, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:51:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm curious how a late model Subaru Outback handles the load of a sailplane trailer. I'm looking at a 3.6 liter V6 with auto trans.

If you use an Outback as a tow vehicle, please share your experiences and detail the motor size, transmission, and towing terrain.

Thanks

ben

I had a 2.5L auto wagon. Towed just fine. Went out West from Ga. twice. No issues. 304CZ in an Avionic trailer. About 1800 pounds.

Tim
1FL
Old June 17th 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Jun 15, 8:51*pm, wrote:
I'm curious how a late model Subaru Outback handles the load of a sailplane trailer. I'm looking at a 3.6 liter V6 with auto trans.

If you use an Outback as a tow vehicle, please share your experiences and detail the motor size, transmission, and towing terrain.

Thanks

ben

I built karma at the Ridge retrieving a friend's SZD59 from field near
Nisbet recently. His car is an Outback 3.6l v6, auto trans, Avionic
trailer. Hilly in Eastern PA. No issues either with the trailer
empty outbound or full on the return - 70 odd miles each way. Trailer
was solid as a rock, with ridge winds (cross-wind - though not enough
to keep him up) blowing. If they get a diesel engine, I'd buy one,
when my Jetta TDI dies of old age. Quieter and rides better than the
Jetta; the leather's nice too...

Old June 17th 13, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:51:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm curious how a late model Subaru Outback handles the load of a sailplane trailer. I'm looking at a 3.6 liter V6 with auto trans.

If you use an Outback as a tow vehicle, please share your experiences and detail the motor size, transmission, and towing terrain.

Thanks

ben

i love my 99' legacy outback. its a great all around car that gets everything i need accomplished. in the trailer towing department (discus CS) (ventus2bx) it hasn't been amazing, but did fine. it has a tendancy to sway a little at 67 or 68mph. not incredibly stable but gets the job done. back in 2004 i towed a 27 from new york to uvalde. It was a different 99 than the one i currently have, but the feedback was about the same.

i recommend it but there are definitely better vehicles out there. maybe a newer one is a bit better?
Old June 17th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
plantain

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with regards to whether a car is powerful enough to tow a glider trailer.

I use a 1.4L non-turbo Peugeot 206 from '99 in Europe which handles my cobra trailer without any trouble, through the mountains or on the flat. The same car has previously towed a Janus CM Germany-Italy and back as well. Most Europeans seem to make do with similar small cars. Economy is 8-10L/100k.

More relevant to your question though, in Aus I use an Impreza WRX (not unlike the outback, shorter wheelbase) that barely notices the trailer on the back. Makes overtaking road trains a much less hair raising experience.

Old June 18th 13, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

On Monday, June 17, 2013 2:12:36 PM UTC-7, plantain wrote:
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with regards to whether a car is powerful enough to tow a glider trailer.

I use a 1.4L non-turbo Peugeot 206 from '99 in Europe which handles my cobra trailer without any trouble, through the mountains or on the flat. The same car has previously towed a Janus CM Germany-Italy and back as well. Most Europeans seem to make do with similar small cars. Economy is 8-10L/100k.

ben

Ben, We understand that Europeans commonly use smaller vehicles for towing gliders. However, the main issue between European and US is that we can drive 1500 kilometers or (much) more to a contest. I know that many in Europe complain bitterly at towing 800 kilometers or less. Having a more powerful and longer vehicle makes for easier driving conditions at freeway speeds and mountain situations.
Craig R.

Old June 18th 13, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Hill[_2_]

On Jun 15, 6:51*pm, wrote:
I'm curious how a late model Subaru Outback handles the load of a sailplane trailer. I'm looking at a 3.6 liter V6 with auto trans.

If you use an Outback as a tow vehicle, please share your experiences and detail the motor size, transmission, and towing terrain.

Thanks

ben

I have a 2003 Subaru Baja AWD 2.5L with manual tranny. It tows my
DG-600 in a Cobra trailer just fine on the pavement. I once used it
to retrieve a friend who landed in a typical fallow field. I was able
to pull his empty Cobra tailer one combined car/trailer length into
the soft dirt of the field before it bogged down and refused to move
any further. Luckily, the farmer came along with a real truck and we
were able to use it to position the trailer to load the Discus glider
and tow it to hard ground. After that incident I realized that the
Baja would be fine for travel on pavement but would never work for the
typical terrain I might encounter on a land out. I now use a 2010 4WD
Toyota 4runner 4L V6 with automatic transmission.
Old June 23rd 13, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:51:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm curious how a late model Subaru Outback handles the load of a sailplane trailer. I'm looking at a 3.6 liter V6 with auto trans.

I have a Subaru Forester, 2010 Manual. I used it to tow my Schweizer 1-26 on an open trailer from New Mexico to Florida. The wind was crazy and the climbs and descents fairly steep at times. I had no problems at all.

The only issue I've found is with having a Manual Transmission... if you were pulling something heavy (like a small boat) up a ramp or stuck in the mud from a stop, you will be smoking the clutch, so an Automatic would be the better choice if you are landing out often.

Aside from that the AWD is fantastic. I love my Subaru, the way it handles is amazing especially in heavy rain.

One more thing worth mentioning... with AWD, if you need to replace a tire, you must replace all four to ensure they are all the same diameter or you will wear out the differentials prematurely.

Tom

Old June 23rd 13, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

I have 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 liter. The only thing I can say is that the continuously variable transmission is rather touchy, so, you have to be gentle with throttle pedal. Otherwise it is very nice car. Jacek, Pasco, WA