What to do with L-13?

Old May 3rd 12, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What to do with L-13?

Our club (NJ - USA) has folded and we still have an L-13 taking up space. Before I call the local scrap yard I thought I'd ask if anyone might be interested in buying it at scrap value with the dreams of getting airworthy again. We also have an open trailer for it that will be available separately if the bird goes to the junk yard. mikefaddenathotmail.com.
Old May 3rd 12, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On May 3, 7:16*am, wrote:
Our club (NJ - USA) has folded and we still have an L-13 taking up space. Before I call the local scrap yard I thought I'd ask if anyone might be interested in buying it at scrap value with the dreams of getting airworthy again. We also have an open trailer for it that will be available separately if the bird goes to the junk yard. mikefaddenathotmail.com.

Convert the cockpit to a flight simulator?
Old May 3rd 12, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Giant scale RC.

"No sir, that's a *model* you saw flying last weekend. Yes, indeed we
do tow it with an L-19 and we used to use it as a sailplane, but it's
just an RC model now. Oh, the radio gear and servos go home with one
of the club members. Yes, we've kept the cockpit original for
realism and old time's sake. No, of course I can't show you how the
servos hook up, that's proprietary to the guy that built them. No,
absolutely we won't show you, this isn't a a civil aircraft any
longer, it's just a model. No, my lawyer says we don't have to... you
don't have jurisdiction over models."

:-)

T8

Old May 3rd 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:16:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Our club (NJ - USA) has folded and we still have an L-13 taking up space. Before I call the local scrap yard I thought I'd ask if anyone might be interested in buying it at scrap value

My condolences. This sadly reminds me of euthanizing my devoted old dog.
Old May 3rd 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

Open up the wing, wrap the spar with Kevlar and carbon fiber/epoxy and
carbon rod top and bottom.
Lots of info on this at many web sites. Reassemble the wing. Do a 10G
sandbag test.
Document everything and ask for an experimental certificate from your
local FAA.
Or call it an L-13plus and go fly.
Old May 3rd 12, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum

On May 3, 10:19*am, Evan Ludeman wrote:
Giant scale RC.

"No sir, that's a *model* you saw flying last weekend. *Yes, indeed we
do tow it with an L-19 and we used to use it as a sailplane, but it's
just an RC model now. *Oh, the radio gear and servos go home with one
of the club members. *Yes, we've kept the *cockpit original for
realism and old time's sake. *No, of course I can't show you how the
servos hook up, that's proprietary to the guy that built them. *No,
absolutely we won't show you, this isn't a a civil aircraft any
longer, it's just a model. *No, my lawyer says we don't have to... you
don't have jurisdiction over models."

:-)

T8

Hmmmmm!
Does the FAA have jurisdiction over UAVs or is it DOD?
Old May 3rd 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On May 3, 9:33*am, soartech wrote:
Open up the wing, wrap the spar with Kevlar and carbon fiber/epoxy and
carbon rod top and bottom.

I once designed a wing that used a carbon rod wing spar and aluminum
skins. In order to make the spar stiff enough so that the wing skins
did not yield and buckle within the limit load envelope, the spar
needed four times the amount of carbon dictated by the strength
requirements. Basically, I would have had to make the carbon spar as
stiff as the aluminum spar it was intended to replace. That carbon
spar would still have been lighter than its aluminum equivalent, but
would have been much pricier. In the end, I went with composite skins
and only twice the amount of carbon rod dictated by strength, and it
worked out great.

Regardless, designing a retrofit that uses a carbon fiber spar but
retains the aluminum parts and detail design of the rest of the
structure would be a substantial undertaking with a lot of risk and
potential for heartache. I think it would be better to invest the time
and effort into a new training sailplane design more effectively
optimized for the current realities of soaring flight training.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old May 3rd 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

Apart from being bad advice on many fronts with this particular wing
design....

You can't go experimental to circumvent an AD.

aerodyne
Old May 4th 12, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

What ever became of our SSA and the "government liaison and support we pay
so dearly for with the high dues and fees?
Isn't this what we all belong for? where is their support and chain rattling
with the FAA to get this issue resolved?
tim

Old May 4th 12, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

I was told: You are the SSA, it is up to you to do something, we are
just volunteers.

Better yet... where is the protests and letters to the FAA docket
during the comments period last year? 200 L-13's onthe registry, ONE
THIRD of the trainer fleet, yet only 27 comments from like 9 people? 4
comments from yours truly;

aerodyne