Yet another reason to Hate AOL

Old July 3rd 04, 01:51 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Rosspilot wrote:

That's the only one. And I checked my spam filter and there's nothing in there
from you.

If AOL has software blocking mail at the server, it will not be in your filters.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old July 3rd 04, 02:10 AM
Rosspilot

If AOL has software blocking mail at the server, it will not be in your
filters.

True, George . . . what doesn't make sense, though, is that I got the SECOND
email Jay sent . . . and not the first. If AOL was blocking him as a spammer,
seems to me the first one would get through and the second would be blocked,
right?

www.Rosspilot.com

Old July 3rd 04, 03:10 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

I tried sending you a couple of video's for your web site that never seemed
to get through.

(F-14 fly by with conical vapor spread when hitting Mach 1.0)

Old July 3rd 04, 04:08 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Rosspilot wrote:

If AOL has software blocking mail at the server, it will not be in your
filters.

True, George . . . what doesn't make sense, though, is that I got the SECOND
email Jay sent . . . and not the first. If AOL was blocking him as a spammer,
seems to me the first one would get through and the second would be blocked,
right?

My assumption based on what happened is that they blocked the original because he
sent it to a mailing list, but at least your server does not have him listed as a
spammer, so the individual mail to you was not blocked.

Old July 3rd 04, 04:47 AM
Teacherjh

Well several morons on hotmail
were too stupid to unsubscribe them self

I never "unsubscribe" to suspected spam. I report it and let the chips fall.
Unsubscring is one of the ways spammers know the address is alive.

And I've reported legit stuff too - because a company won't tell me what Email
address they will use to send me stuff, I can't tell whether it's legit or
spoofed from the sender line (and I've gotten plenty of spoofed stuff too).

If you're not a moron, try to improve the system, respecting at the same time
the varied (and complex) ways in which Email is often legitimately used.

Jose

Old July 3rd 04, 09:22 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
In my experience, the "unsubscribe" button in many emails only validates
your email address -- and triggers even MORE email!

I think that's why people are so hesitant to use it.

I think his point is that these people are too stupid to understand that
they asked for the email that arrived, and that there would be only a
benefit to them in using the unsubscribe procedure given.

Yes, spam mail also uses a bogus unsubscribe procedure in order to fool
people into validating their email address. But that doesn't mean that
people should ignore a legitimate procedure listed in legitimate email.

Pete

Old July 3rd 04, 11:09 AM
Cub Driver

I have an email list of about 300. When I realized that many of the
AOL addresses routinely bounced, I separated them and made a list of
eight (eight!) AOL addresses.

That one bounces too, so it doesn't have to be much of a group. Just
to have it processed by Mailman or something similar is enough.

I urge people on my website to ditch AOL. Happily, many are doing just
that as they get broadband, which makes AOL irrelevant.

I never did understand the attraction. It was likely looking at the
internet through the wrong end of a telescope. No other
training-wheels outfit has survived, and I look forward to the day
when AOL joins them in the ditch.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 3rd 04, 11:10 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:21:01 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Or are they not accepting
emails from my ISP (Mediacom)?

This is possible too. I once used a mailing service that did not
accept from Comcast, my provider.

Old July 3rd 04, 11:15 AM
Cub Driver

Alas, it's not nonsense at all. It doesn't happen to everyone
(especially those who use the older software) but it happens to many
or most. It happens to people who specifically include the sender's
address in their list of approved emails.

AOL is pretty thoroughly broken, and it's not needed in any event. I
think you should get rid of it. Why pay twice for itnernet access?

On 02 Jul 2004 18:24:30 GMT, ospam (Rosspilot)
wrote:

It seems AOL has initiated some sort of an anti-Spam blocker that no longer
accepts group emails.

Nonsense.

I am using AOL 9.0 Optimized for Broadband, and I get all your airport
correspondence, including one only about a half hour ago.

www.Rosspilot.com