Check ride

Old December 23rd 04, 05:12 PM
aluckyguess

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
That first check ride is always the toughest... Mine occurred on a 92
degree day in July (long long ago in a world far far away)... I had to
leave the plant at mid morning... Knowing I would do a W&B I weighed
myself on the certified scale on the freight dock... During the oral
and the ride I sweated copiously from heat, and from simple muscle
tension - even though I felt calm the body was in full war emergency
mode - When I got back to the plant after the ride (passed) on impulse
I weighed myself again on the freight dock... I had dropped 5 pounds in
3 hours - and did not use the restroom during that time... Even
decades later I am still amazed at how much physical and psychic energy
I burned in 3 hours on that day and how tired I was afterwards...
Denny

I was ready to call it quits after the verbal. The flying part was easy even
with the 20 mph winds.

Old December 23rd 04, 06:18 PM
Paul Smedshammer

"aluckyguess" wrote in :

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was ready to call it quits after the verbal. The flying part was
easy even with the 20 mph winds.

I think I know why the check ride is soooo stressful... as least for me.
I have a BS and an MS in Engineering and had always been pretty good at
taking tests. I mean, I didn't freeze up or get over anxious. However,
that all changed with my check ride 10 years ago. I was the most nervous
I have ever been. I passed but with a nervous over anxious, I'm going to
fail but I really don't want to fail mindset. Reflecting on the
experience, I can clearly say that it is because I REALLY wanted to pass.
More than getting an A or a B on a test. I didn't care about my score, I
just wanted to pass and have my ticket. I fly almost solely for pleasure
so what did it matter if I didn't pass? What mattered was a personal
goal. Not something that I thought others would judge me by, just for
me. You are sticking yourself out there for something you might have
thought you could never have and this is the last hurdle to getting it!
Of course this might even be worse if you are working toward a career in
aviation. You also then would think your career was tied to this one
test. That might have put me over the edge!

I liken it to when I asked my wife to marry me. I was 99% sure she was
going to say yes but if she said no it would have been devastating.
Getting my pilot license was almost exactly the same. Don't tell my
wife.

Paul
Mooney M20F
Old December 23rd 04, 09:04 PM

Congrats.

Later,
Steve.T

Old December 24th 04, 02:15 AM
Blueskies

"aluckyguess" wrote in message ...
I just got home.
I passed.
This was one of the toughest days that I can remember. I don't know why this should of all been easy.

New Pilot

wrote in message oups.com...
WEL-L-L-L-LL?

What happened?

Nice present!

Old December 24th 04, 02:47 AM
aluckyguess

"Blueskies" wrote in message
m...

"aluckyguess" wrote in message
I just got home.
I passed.
This was one of the toughest days that I can remember. I don't know why
this should of all been easy.

New Pilot

wrote in message
oups.com...