About time -- Comanche 250

Old January 15th 04, 03:41 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Tony wrote:
The throttle was real stiff and my dad just wants to change it out. We
have an A&P to do work on the plane (he does lots of comanches)for
flying time and he said its no problem to change it, it take about 2
hours

Mine was also stiff when I got it, and about a week after I replaced
it there was a cold snap and the mixture siezed up on me. If that's
at all stiff you might as well replace it while you're in there.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 15th 04, 04:20 AM
AethelredII

Hmmmm, I have 1000's of hrs in 250's and fly out of Montana and Wyoming. NEVER
once have I EVER picked up carb ice. Ever. I have never had to pull carb heat
on landing EVER! The 540 manual says don't pull carb heat unless you get carb
ice! (I thought that was why they ran the intake through the oil pan)?

In over 10 years of flying 250's I have never pulled carb heat. except on every
run up.

When I fly my 206 I pull carb heat for landing all the time. Hmmm, that's what
the Cessna book says to do.

Maybe I just got a good 540. But I know may of my 250 friends that must have
gotten good ones too, as they have never, ever had carb ice problems.

Ae
Old January 15th 04, 04:26 PM
karl

*****The throttle was real stiff and my dad just wants to change it out. We
have an A&P to do work on the plane (he does lots of comanches)for
flying time and he said its no problem to change it, it take about 2
hours*******

Buy what FAA approved authorization will the "mechanic?" use to change the
engine control system? He sounds like an idiot to me.

Is there a STC for this?

Are you planning to get a field approval for this unauthorized modification?

You can't just "willy nilly" change critical control systems on aircraft
certified in the "normal" category without FAA approval. I doubt if they
would give such approval without an STC.

If it is stiff when cold, why doesn't your "mechanic?" just fix it properly?

Karl

Old January 15th 04, 05:09 PM
Ron Natalie

"karl" wrote in message ...
]
Buy what FAA approved authorization will the "mechanic?" use to change the
engine control system? He sounds like an idiot to me.

Is there a STC for this?

Are you planning to get a field approval for this unauthorized modification?

What on earth are you talking about. It's just a piece of control cable. You
order another one. Chances are this one is gummed up dirt or someone kinked
it somewhere with some hamfisted maintenance. You don't need STC's to replace
parts.

Old January 15th 04, 05:13 PM
karl

*****What on earth are you talking about*****

He is changing a throttle cable from push-pull to vernier.

What are you talking about, Ron?

Karl

Old January 15th 04, 05:24 PM
Ron Natalie

"karl" wrote in message ...
*****What on earth are you talking about*****

He is changing a throttle cable from push-pull to vernier.

What are you talking about, Ron?

OK, I missed that, but still hardly a major modification.
Old January 15th 04, 08:13 PM
karl

****OK, I missed that, but still hardly a major modification*****

Dream on Ron. Changing the system by which the engine is controlled is at
least, very least, a major modification. There are numerous failure
scenarios I can think of.

Karl

Old January 15th 04, 08:15 PM
Ron Natalie

"karl" wrote in message ...
****OK, I missed that, but still hardly a major modification*****

Dream on Ron. Changing the system by which the engine is controlled is at
least, very least, a major modification. There are numerous failure
scenarios I can think of.

"The system" is just a push-pull cable. Crikes, sticking a vernier twister
on the panel end is not a major change in the design. You want to go get
a 337 before you put fuel in the plane, that's fine by me, but it's not required.

Old January 15th 04, 08:25 PM
Mike Ciholas

Tony wrote in message ...
The throttle was real stiff and my dad just wants to change it out. We
have an A&P to do work on the plane (he does lots of comanches)for
flying time and he said its no problem to change it, it take about 2
hours

I purchase a Comanche 260B, 1966 model, in 1993. Did an initial $10K
annual on it during which I replaced all three engine controls with
new venier controls. I move the controls to be in the correct order
(throttle, prop, mixture) and selected new controls with correct shape
and color coding. I never flew the airplane prior to that so I was
never "confused" :-). I had the change field approved, form 337. I
think the controls were from ACS, maybe purchased from Webco (you'll
want to know those guys). The tail number was N9059P, so you can find
the 337 in the FAA registry somewhere if you want to do the same
thing.

As to a venier throttle, I've got 1500 hours with one now (Comanche
260B, then T210L). I'd say you get used to it either way. I like
being able to give a slight twist to add or take an inch of manifold
pressure. I'm used to grasping it in such a way as to push in the
release. I do that for landings or in prep for go around.

The Comanche is a sweet airplane. Nice control feel, good performance
(out flys my T210L by a noticeable margin unless I'm way up high).
Can be tricky to land smoothly!

--
Mike Ciholas (812) 476-2721 x101
CIHOLAS Enterprises (812) 476-2881 fax
Old January 15th 04, 09:31 PM
CriticalMass

Newps wrote:

Vernier throttle? What the hell would you want one of those for if
you don't have a turbo?

To do away with all the loosening and retightening of the damned locknut
on the prehistoric factory throttle, for one reason. Another reason is
to match the throttle to the already existing vernier prop and mixture
controls. Need more reasons?