Beware travelers with bratty kids

Old January 24th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Beware travelers with bratty kids

Mike Schumann writes:

I suspect that cost is while the airplane is in flight. Cost on the ground
would be significantly less.

Not when you subtract cost from revenue. A plane on the ground costs
money but generates no revenue. A plane in the air costs money, too,
but it generates more revenue than it costs. Every minute a plane
spends on the ground is money down the drain.

Old January 24th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

saw a huge couple in line to enter the people-tube we were riding. Kelly
commented that she would hate to be assigned to sit next to them.
Fortunately, we didn't suffer that fate - the two of them were seated a
couple of rows in front of us, and across the aisle. One of them took the
aisle seat and the other took the window seat, leaving the middle seat for
ooooze room. About that time, another grossly obese individual boarded the
airplane, walked down the aisle, compared seat assignments with the already
seated large people, and had one of 'em move to the center seat, so the
third big 'un could sit on the aisle. I have not seen so much pressing of
the flesh since an election year. I was surprised the arm rest along the
aisle could take that much side load...

Here's a potential solution, from the folks at Airbus:

http://gridskipper.com/travel/flight...ats-169456.php

This could help GA more than anything I've ever seen!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 24th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Yes it does-as long as it's delivered with consistency and honesty. You feed
a kid enough BS and eventually they stop listening to you altogether.

mike

"john smith" wrote in message

This is just another example of the "feel good" parenting that
psychologists were spouting in the 90's. In the real world, it doesn't
work. This was the first child for these parents, hopefully they have
learned a hard lesson and will not make the same mistake with the next
one.

Old January 24th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:14:33 -0600, in
, Mike Schumann wrote:
I suspect that cost is while the airplane is in flight. Cost on the
ground would be significantly less.

Well, probably depends upon the aircraft... Bigger engines burn more fuel
even on the ground... For example, the GE CF34-3B1 used on the CRJ-200
burns around 400 lbs per hour per engine at idle... With 2 engines, that's
800 lbs per hour... Perhaps add some more for the APU, perhaps another
150 lbs per hour... That brings it up to 950 lbs per hour... At 6.7 lbs
per gallon, that's about 141.8 gallons per hour... For a 15 minute delay,
that's about 35.4 gallons... According to AirNav, the FBOs at MCO are
charging at least $5.59 per gallon for Jet-A... Perhaps the airlines get a
discount, so the price is a bit cheaper... Would $5 per gallon be a good
figure? If so, that 15 minutes on the ground costs them $177... Now,
factor in possibly having to run at a higher speed in order to make their
scheduled arrival time or how being late is going to cause other aircraft
for connecting flights to perhaps sit at the gate idling and I can
definitely see where kicking the screaming brat off the plane is best
thing they could do... Well, either that or shipping the brat as cargo...
Old January 25th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:53:22 -0800, in
.com, Jay Honeck wrote:
Here's a potential solution, from the folks at Airbus:

http://gridskipper.com/travel/flight...ats-169456.php

This could help GA more than anything I've ever seen!

If it is efficient to put the people vertically in seats, it should also
be efficient to put the people horizontally in seats... Having a series of
bunks that you could lay down on and sleep during a 6 hour flight might
not be a bad idea... I had a 6 hour flight from Alaska to Houston where I
was stuck in the exit row with seats that would not recline... Making it
more fun was the fact that the flight left Alaska at midnight, so
reclining so that I could catch some sleep was definitely something that I
wanted to do... Being "forced" to lay horizontally for the 6 hour flight
would have rather welcome...

Old January 25th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Jan 24, 6:51 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
I do wonder about the effect that such things have on weight and
balance calculations. With many lardballs on board the weight goes
up.

On a small airliner, it could definitely be a concern. I believe
there've been a few airline incidents and accidents recently where W&B
played a part. One had to do with having football team(s) aboard.
You'll have to Google for details.

Just a year or two ago they did raise the FAA standard passenger
weight, partly because of heavier people, partly because of winter
gear, IIRC.

PS. I hate the new Google Group interface. Judging from the feedback
in their help group, everyone hates it. No posting preview, small
space to view, etc. Woof.

Kev

Old January 25th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Jan 24, 5:19 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
. After flying
commercial for 10 years, I can attest that it happens all the time. How many
times have airlines held flights for a few passengers who were late
connecting? I have been on a number of flights where this was done, and the
delay was probably on average of 10 to 15 minutes.

Good old Southern based Delta was much beloved by travelers for many
years, because they would wait a long time for any delayed passengers.
If you were on Delta, you knew you wouldn't be left behind.

Then, a few years back, someone decided their "on-time" stats needed
improvement, and they started acting like every other airline. What a
pity.

Cheers, Kev

Old January 25th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Grumman-581 writes:

Being "forced" to lay horizontally for the 6 hour flight
would have rather welcome...

Virgin Atlantic is doing this, isn't it?

Old January 25th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

PS. I hate the new Google Group interface. Judging from the feedback
in their help group, everyone hates it. No posting preview, small
space to view, etc. Woof.

Me, too. I had really grown to like the features of Google Groups, but
now they've butchered the user interface.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 25th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

My worst flight ever was a night flight from Japan to Seattle (IIRC),
in which I was pretty much surrounded by the members of a boys sports
team of some sort (hockey, I think). I was tired, and ready for sleep -
but wouldn't get any that night. Those kids were hyper - and there were
three across in the row behind me. They all had newly purchased
electronic gizmos that they played incessantly. The one behind me kept
pounding on his with his fingers. Of course it was on the tray table
(which As I pointed out to him repeatedly, was directly connected to my
seat). He couldn't keep his hands off of it. The final straw came when
one of them went to the restroom. On his return he dragged his gizmo
across my face in the process of returning to his seat. I jumped up and
made quite a scene - and finally provoked a response from their coach.

Having had enough of that scene, I went and appropriated an empty seat
in a section reserved for the crew. They tried to get me to go back,
but I told them nothing doing - if they wanted to keep the peace on
that flight, they had better leave me alone. They did.

David Johnson