Next club purchase...

Old August 25th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
f-newguy

Default Next club purchase...

"Robert Barker" wrote in message
For the complex plane, we're thinking we like something that can do
150kts or better that we can do a nice panel upgrade in - say a G540 stack
and some other upgrades but still something that the insurance wouldn't
kill us...

182RG or turbo 182RG.

Old August 26th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

f-newguy wrote:
"Robert Barker" wrote in message
For the complex plane, we're thinking we like something that can do
150kts or better that we can do a nice panel upgrade in - say a G540 stack
and some other upgrades but still something that the insurance wouldn't
kill us...

182RG or turbo 182RG.

Insurance rates are plummeting. I am starting the fourth year of
ownership on my Bonanza. I've got a little over 300 hours in the Bo and
those are my only retract hours. The first years premium was $2800.
This year it's $1500. I did lower the hull value from $90K to $80K,
which was a $100 savings. An instrument rating makes so little
difference it isn't worth going to get one if you don't need/want one.
Old August 26th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

It could be your insurance rates are "plummeting" because of your increased
experience level in the Bo.
BT

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 26th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"BT" wrote in message
It could be your insurance rates are "plummeting" because of your
increased experience level in the Bo.
BT

Another thing is that personal insurance is one thing, but club insurance is
quite another. For 5 or less members, most insurance companies will just
charge you the rate for the highest cost person (least experience). For 6
or more members (which can be assumed for a club that already has 3
aircraft), insurance rates climb significantly. Lots of clubs do have
Bonanzas, so it's certainly not cost prohibitive in all cases.

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 26th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Interesting you mention insurance rates. This year my 74 Archer costs about
650 to insure. Last year it was about 850 through the same company for the
same coverage.

My first thought was decreasing hull value, even though I have the same
stated hull value of 55K. Someone else mentioned there might be fewer
pilots available to insure so competition has driven down prices. Then
again maybe I broke some experience barrier.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 28th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Aug 22, 10:36*pm, "Robert Barker" wrote:
Our club currently flies a 172R and 172SP as trainers and a Diamond DA40 as
our 3rd plane. *We've put tons of students thru our 172s and are finally
getting some good usage on our Diamond. *We've started "long distance"
planning on our next planes. *We'd like to get a good low wing trainer like
an Archer and we'd like to get a high performance plane to get complex
ratings. *For the complex plane, we're thinking we like something that can
do 150kts or better that we can do a nice panel upgrade in - say a G540
stack and some other upgrades but still something that the insurance
wouldn't kill us... *As we're near the mountains, turbo would be nice but
would incur some other problems with training, etc. *That said, we were
leaning towards a Turbo Arrow III... *Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need my club's fleet.

4 152 (for primary training)
2 172 SP
2 Warrior
2 Mooney M20J

The Mooney works pretty well in the club environment, no turbo,
simple, low maint landing gear. Just emphasize speed control on
landings during checkouts. It does 150 kts and has all you need for
the complex training.
Old August 28th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 22, 8:55*pm, John Smith wrote:

Cessna 182.
Not 150 kts, but fast enough.
The ability to haul a load is more important than speed.
Four full adults plus luggage.

I do a lot of instruction in the C-182 but I cant say I'm a big fan of
the airplane. Cessna was just lazy and bolted a high performance
engine on their training plane. Its dog slow, sucks gas like no
tomorrow and flys like a box. I think the 172 is a fine airplane but
they really needed to go back to the drawing board when it was time
for the 182. Its a bit like putting a high performane engine in a Yugo
and calling that your high performance offering.

-Robert
Old August 28th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Might want to look at the ultra efficient Mooney. I live out West too
and I cross the Sierras at gross on a monthly basis with 4 on board.
Even the non-turbo Mooneys do great at 16,000 feet, burning about 7
gal/hr at 150 knots.

-Robert
Old August 28th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 25, 7:02*pm, "Mike" wrote:

Another thing is that personal insurance is one thing, but club insurance is
quite another. *For 5 or less members, most insurance companies will just
charge you the rate for the highest cost person (least experience). *For 6
or more members (which can be assumed for a club that already has 3
aircraft), insurance rates climb significantly. *Lots of clubs do have
Bonanzas, so it's certainly not cost prohibitive in all cases.

I do check outs for a club with an older Bonanza. They charge $210 an
hour. That's not bad for a high performance, complex airplane and
probably less than what most of us owners are paying to keep our birds
in the air.

-Robert
Old August 29th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Aug 22, 8:55 pm, John Smith wrote:

Cessna 182.
Not 150 kts, but fast enough.
The ability to haul a load is more important than speed.
Four full adults plus luggage.

I do a lot of instruction in the C-182 but I cant say I'm a big fan of
the airplane. Cessna was just lazy and bolted a high performance
engine on their training plane. Its dog slow, sucks gas like no
tomorrow and flys like a box. I think the 172 is a fine airplane but
they really needed to go back to the drawing board when it was time
for the 182. Its a bit like putting a high performane engine in a Yugo
and calling that your high performance offering.

What plane are you trying to compare the 182 to?