Downloading flying music?

Old February 1st 04, 02:48 AM
Peter Duniho

"Tom Fleischman" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
So what about TiVo...legal, or illegal?

Legal, assuming you use it simply for time-shifting. It's just like a VCR
as far as the copyright law is concerned.

Pete

Old February 1st 04, 02:51 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
Well, in your eyes, perhaps, which means precisely zip in my eyes. The

law
damn sure doesn't see it that way.

The law certainly does see it that way.

You asked for citations supporting the fact that making copies and even
downloading music from "illegal" sources (which aren't illegal . . . yet)
for personal use is frowned upon only by the RIAA and you.

I did not. The citations I asked for were with respect to the question of
copying music from the radio. Nothing more, nothing less. They have
nothing to do with your use of file sharing software to violate copyright
law.

Those citations have rather embarrassingly negated your entire premise and
illuminated your profound ignorance of the law.

There have been no such citations, not with respect to copying music from
the radio, nor with respect to downloading music from the Internet. They
have not negated anything about my premise, never mind come close to
negating the entire premise. Nor have they revealed any ignorance on my
part of the law.

I hate it when that happens, don't you?

I wouldn't know. Tell me about it.

Pete

Old February 1st 04, 08:16 PM
Peter Duniho

"Tom Fleischman" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
TiVo has a "Save To VCR" function that allows you to save anything that
you have recorded to VCR. That would seem to go beyond time-shifting.
Does that make saving to VCR from Tivo an illegal act?

Again, it depends on why you are saving to the VCR. Fair use, for example,
allows (among other things) copying of limited content, maintained for
limited periods of time, for educational purposes. There's nothing in the
law that requires you to use the Tivo to play back things copied under the
fair use laws.

Again, just because it is possible to break the law using functionality
provided in the product, that does not make the functionality inherently
illegal. Nor does the presence of that functionality provide any guidance
whatsoever with respect to what infringing and noninfringing uses are.

Pete

Old February 3rd 04, 09:41 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Newps" wrote in message

Rob Perkins wrote:

In the US, maybe. Elsewhere, where there is a tax on television
receivers, there really *is* a TV Police.

You mean you have a tax on TV's other than the normal sales taxes?
Would this be a yearly deal?

Yes.

http://www.tv-l.co.uk/index_frameset.html

It funds the BBC and the terrestrial transmitter network. It's
widely acknowledged to be responsible for the prevention of
"dumbing down" TV to er, how can I put this...US levels of
catering for the lowest common denominator (there are no
commercials on BBC 1 and 2 and on BBC radio).

Paul

Old February 3rd 04, 09:47 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
If they'd
had their way, you wouldn't even be allowed to time-shift.

Here in the UK, Sky TV put macrovision encoding on their pay-per-view
films. Thus you can't even record them for time shifting. They don't have it
on their "ordinary" film channels to my knowledge.

Paul