Anyone flown atn LPV yet?

Old December 15th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Anyone flown atn LPV yet?

Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?
Old December 15th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Sam Spade wrote:
Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

I'm still working on getting my wife to allow me to buy the Eclipse.
I'm wondering if the plane will be treated more like a Citation or a GA
plane. In otherwords, if some high end FBOs will rent them. There are
certainly a lot of skeptics who say "humbug" to anything, but with
proper training (Flight Safety perhaps) maybe I could see an FBO being
able to provide that. With the amount of traveling I do (maybe one 500+
file trip every 2 months) rental would probably make more sense.

-Robert

Old December 15th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

I'm still working on getting my wife to allow me to buy the Eclipse.
I'm wondering if the plane will be treated more like a Citation or a GA
plane. In otherwords, if some high end FBOs will rent them. There are
certainly a lot of skeptics who say "humbug" to anything, but with
proper training (Flight Safety perhaps) maybe I could see an FBO being
able to provide that. With the amount of traveling I do (maybe one 500+
file trip every 2 months) rental would probably make more sense.

Were you thinking an LPV is an aircraft type? I think Sam meant the
approach type Localizer Precision with Vertical Guidance.

I have a GNS480 but haven't yet flown an LPV approach. There's one shown
in the NACO charts at nearby LHZ, but it's not in the Jeppesen database
(yes, I have version 2.1 of the software). Jeppesen and NACO are
apparently in a ****ing contest about whether the approach is real.
Jeppesen says the LPV approach at LHZ is restricted to authorized users,
NACO says anybody can use it.

DB
Old December 15th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Dave Butler wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

I'm still working on getting my wife to allow me to buy the Eclipse.
I'm wondering if the plane will be treated more like a Citation or a GA
plane. In otherwords, if some high end FBOs will rent them. There are
certainly a lot of skeptics who say "humbug" to anything, but with
proper training (Flight Safety perhaps) maybe I could see an FBO being
able to provide that. With the amount of traveling I do (maybe one 500+
file trip every 2 months) rental would probably make more sense.

Were you thinking an LPV is an aircraft type? I think Sam meant the
approach type Localizer Precision with Vertical Guidance.

For some reason I read it as VLJ

-Robert

Old December 15th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Dave Butler wrote:

Were you thinking an LPV is an aircraft type? I think Sam meant the
approach type Localizer Precision with Vertical Guidance.

I have a GNS480 but haven't yet flown an LPV approach. There's one shown
in the NACO charts at nearby LHZ, but it's not in the Jeppesen database
(yes, I have version 2.1 of the software). Jeppesen and NACO are
apparently in a ****ing contest about whether the approach is real.
Jeppesen says the LPV approach at LHZ is restricted to authorized users,
NACO says anybody can use it.

DB

Yes, LPV IAP. Jeppesen is so full of it. Those LPV approaches are for
any database in a TSO 145/146 set, which means the GNS480.
Old December 15th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

Sam Spade wrote:

Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

I've flown several of them, but only in practice. The one at KPRC overlays the ILS, but the one at KDVT
(RNAV 25L) gives nice capability to this airport, although the weather hardly ever requires it. It's also a
nice approach for practice, with a 9 mile final approach segment, it gives you lots of time on the needles.
The 480 flies them very nicely. It may be just me, but it seems the deviations are more stable than an
ILS, i.e. no beam bending, side lobes, etc.

Mike
Old December 16th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mike Adams wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

I've flown several of them, but only in practice. The one at KPRC overlays the ILS, but the one at KDVT
(RNAV 25L) gives nice capability to this airport, although the weather hardly ever requires it. It's also a
nice approach for practice, with a 9 mile final approach segment, it gives you lots of time on the needles.
The 480 flies them very nicely. It may be just me, but it seems the deviations are more stable than an
ILS, i.e. no beam bending, side lobes, etc.

Mike

The needles are super stable, much better than most ILSes. They do get
more sensitive as you approach the runway, just like ILS. That had to
be built into the box, because GPS is a linear system. It was necessary
to do that to get the flight technical error to ILS-like values
close-in. It's really a very good system, except for the availability
problems at some locations. ILS doesn't have that problem. ;-)
Old December 16th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 06:56:17 -0800, Sam Spade wrote:

Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

Not yet. But I have flown an LNAV with advisory vertical guidance. The
needles were extremely stable -- more so than an ILS with my equipment.
Pretty easy to fly.

Old December 16th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 06:56:17 -0800, Sam Spade wrote:

Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

Not yet. But I have flown an LNAV with advisory vertical guidance. The
needles were extremely stable -- more so than an ILS with my equipment.
Pretty easy to fly.

Ditto...I even coupled the autopilot... real nice.
Old December 16th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 06:56:17 -0800, Sam Spade wrote:

Subject line says it all.

If so, what was your impression?

Not yet. But I have flown an LNAV with advisory vertical guidance. The
needles were extremely stable -- more so than an ILS with my equipment.
Pretty easy to fly.

Yes, the approaches are a pleasure to fly, but the step change in course
width can cause a coupled approach to give a small disturbance, for me.
If the needle isn't exactly centered at the point of switching,
my autopilot hunts for a few moments, until it stabilizes again.
It's a small amount, and not an operational problem, but it makes the GPS
approaches slightly less smooth than an ILS, which doesn't have that bump.
My autopilot is a Collins AP-107.
Who sees any similar effect with other autopilots?