User Fees

Old March 18th 05, 06:18 AM
Dude

Default User Fees

Where is all this user fee flak coming from?

Do the fuel taxes not get routed back to the system? If not, let's raise a
big stink.

Are the budgets not big enough? Okay, I might be convinced that this is
true, and I may even be willing to look past the fact that the system is
where it is due to seriously bad decisions over the past 20 years just in
the name of getting a solution over wasting time pointing fingers.

Still, what complete idiotic, power hungry, stupid, short sighted etc. etc.
etc. thinks user fees are a fix?

Don't they realize the incredible inefficiency of having to bill us? Don't
they realize the money they need to fix the system will instead get used
trying to create a billing system and manage the accounts. This will cost
tens of millions and likely require that everyone get a discreet transponder
id for it to ever work. Meanwhile, they are still using vacuum tube crap to
keep us from crashing!!!

AFAIK, the big traffic increases are coming from increased use of business
jets trying to join in where the scheduled players are already trying to
crowd each other out in order to lose money on every flight. Let's say we
want a $20 fee per flight for using the IFR system. Would it not be easier
just to raise the fuel tax a penny or two? That would raise the same amount
would it not?

And then we could use the money to buy gear and pay controllers instead of
creating an all new department to manage the fee system!

Old March 18th 05, 10:16 AM
Dave S

Glenn Jones wrote:
In article ,
"Dude" wrote:

AFAIK, the big traffic increases are coming from increased use of business
jets trying to join in where the scheduled players are already trying to
crowd each other out in order to lose money on every flight. Let's say we
want a $20 fee per flight for using the IFR system. Would it not be easier
just to raise the fuel tax a penny or two? That would raise the same amount
would it not?

I fly VFR, rarely use ATC beyond the control tower. heh heh heh.

Dont expect the existing fuel taxes to be repealed in favor of user fees...

Dave

Old March 18th 05, 12:00 PM
Bob Noel

In article .net,
Dave S wrote:

Dont expect the existing fuel taxes to be repealed in favor of user fees...

in fact, they will probably be raised to pay for the cost of implementing
and collecting user fees.

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old March 18th 05, 02:55 PM
Paul kgyy

Support AOPA, they are our best protection against this. Economically,
I suspect that the tax money raised from our bugsmasher fuel usage
doesn't really cover the cost of service for FSS, VOR maintenance, ATC,
etc etc. But the result of fees will be that fewer people use the
system, which is part of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Old March 18th 05, 03:03 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Support AOPA, they are our best protection against this. Economically,
I suspect that the tax money raised from our bugsmasher fuel usage
doesn't really cover the cost of service for FSS, VOR maintenance, ATC,
etc etc. But the result of fees will be that fewer people use the
system, which is part of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

The total revenue raised from the fuel tax is about $60 million. I do not
recall if this was for avgas alone or included GA jet fuel use too. The
cost of FSS is about $600 million (there is some dispute about this figure).
This information was in AOPA Pilot in the "Presidents Position" section
within the past year.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 18th 05, 03:54 PM
Dude

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Support AOPA, they are our best protection against this. Economically,
I suspect that the tax money raised from our bugsmasher fuel usage
doesn't really cover the cost of service for FSS, VOR maintenance, ATC,
etc etc. But the result of fees will be that fewer people use the
system, which is part of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

The total revenue raised from the fuel tax is about $60 million. I do not
recall if this was for avgas alone or included GA jet fuel use too. The
cost of FSS is about $600 million (there is some dispute about this
figure). This information was in AOPA Pilot in the "Presidents Position"
section within the past year.

Mike
MU-2

Is the "fair share" argument what this is really about? The majors think
they are paying too much because their planes use more fuel?

We have had this discussion before, and I would rather not rehash it. If we
could get a better FAA by raising the fuel tax, I would support it. I just
want to know what the extra will actually get us. Otherwise, I would just
as soon see the whole thing go libertarian. All we in GA really need are the
GPS satellites, and a few gadgets. AMR, United, and the rest can pack up
and go home for all I care.

Old March 18th 05, 04:40 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Dude" wrote in message
news

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The argument is always framed as "fair share" but there is no way to agree
on what is fair. The framers of the argument twist the facts to support
their point of view. Clearly GA isn't paying for what it consumes since the
fuel tax doesn't even cover FSS. On the other hand, GA owners and pilots
pay income taxes and airlines do not.. On the third hand, while the
airlines don't pay income taxes (with the probable exception of Southwest),
they employ a lot of people who do and airline travel helps facilitate
economic growth which generates tax revenue.

When the time comes to collect the tax either through user fees or a fuel
tax the same "fairness" issues come around again. It doesn't cost any more
to provide ATC services to a larger airplane that burns more fuel, so a fuel
tax isn't "fair".

My personal point of view is that the airline business is inherently
unprofitable due to high fixed costs combined with the "tragedy of the
commons" problem. The industry will always be complaining and looking for
handouts from government. It is also apparent thatGA, taken alone, is
subsidized from the general fund but pilots are too pig-headed to
achknowlege it. This unwillingness to accept simple math is not unique to
pilots, medicare recipients don't achknowlege it either. As a point of
interest, almost everyone in our society (close to 90%) is paying less that
thier equal share of the cost of government.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 18th 05, 06:46 PM
Dude

The argument is always framed as "fair share" but there is no way to agree
on what is fair. The framers of the argument twist the facts to support
their point of view. Clearly GA isn't paying for what it consumes since
the fuel tax doesn't even cover FSS.

That is one we can fix fairly easily. If it costs X dollars to disseminate
the weather, then charge X dollars to get it (the government has other needs
for the weather, so its not an aviation expense). However, if the goverment
for its own purposes wants us all to have the weather info and requires it,
then I don't see how you can say any share is a "fair share". When you
require it, fairness goes out the window.

On the other hand, GA owners and pilots
pay income taxes and airlines do not.. On the third hand, while the
airlines don't pay income taxes (with the probable exception of
Southwest), they employ a lot of people who do and airline travel helps
facilitate economic growth which generates tax revenue.

Let's go ahead and leave out other tax revenues for simplification. Also,
one can justify ANYTHING using the economic growth argument. Governments
local, state, and federal almost uniformly make bad decisions when the
"invest" in economic growth. That's why communism failed.

When the time comes to collect the tax either through user fees or a fuel
tax the same "fairness" issues come around again. It doesn't cost any
more to provide ATC services to a larger airplane that burns more fuel, so
a fuel tax isn't "fair".

While what you state seems true on its face, in practice it is not. A
larger plane flying very quickly, with huge liability issues, and trying to
get into the same crowded international airport as all the other big fast
planes costs MANY times more to provide services to than a small prop going
from one small field to another which 90% of the time uses "see and avoid"
as its primary control system. In fact, almost the ENTIRE system we now
have is set up to allow the carriers to operate. I really can't understand
why that is never discussed or admitted in these big conferences.

My personal point of view is that the airline business is inherently
unprofitable due to high fixed costs combined with the "tragedy of the
commons" problem. The industry will always be complaining and looking for
handouts from government.

Quit the handouts, and the ones that survive will profit.

It is also apparent thatGA, taken alone, is
subsidized from the general fund but pilots are too pig-headed to
achknowlege it.

I would be happy to acknowledge it, as I depreciated my plane. OTOH, they
let me do that to "create jobs" and get more tax revenue. Its so complex, we
really don't know do we?

This unwillingness to accept simple math is not unique to
pilots, medicare recipients don't achknowlege it either.

Its the whole government shell game that makes us all think this. The
redistribution has gotten so out of hand. One government interference after
another, and now even you are buying into this idea that we are not paying
our fair share in GA. We can't tell what the fair share is because there is
simply too much smoke.

I do know one thing, I would rather pay a private company for weather than
anyone else. Also, we could easily put a speed limit for safety that would
destroy the airlines who could never "see and avoid". Of course, the idea
of a speed limit is stupid, but it points out the fact that its not little
props that need the whole system, its the Jets.

As a point of
interest, almost everyone in our society (close to 90%) is paying less
that thier equal share of the cost of government.

And, close to 90% think they have "earned" their benefits. Its the shell
game. I pay enough in taxes to hire several people, so I must be doing a
pretty good job keeping up my end. I suspect that a good portion of pilots
are the same given the cost of the activity.

Old March 18th 05, 08:18 PM
Mike Rapoport

Well said and I think that most would generally agree with most of your
points. The difficulty is (of course) trying to implement change with the
political realities that exist. Everyone is a special interest.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 18th 05, 09:24 PM
kontiki

I must be a dumba$$ for not comprehending but I can get the same weather
info from DUATS that I can from flight seervice. The reason I always call
FSS for a briefing (even after I have used DUATS) is to go on record as
obtaining a weather breifing (for liability reasons???).

Now if I file IFR then FSS has to be used but why couldn't I file it on-line?
I'm not opposed to paying a fair fee for my use of DUATS (or the equivalent)
but then I should be able to file there too.