Garmin G600

Old October 17th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Default Garmin G600

I recently began familiarizing myself with the present Glass replacements
for the old six pack and was told the new G600 needs a feed from a G430.
Anyone confirm this?

Old October 17th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 16, 10:13 pm, "Mike Isaksen" wrote:
I recently began familiarizing myself with the present Glass replacements
for the old six pack and was told the new G600 needs a feed from a G430.
Anyone confirm this?

I thought the G600 was based on the G1000 which is fully integrated
(6 pack, nav,comm, GPS). Having to have the 430's external is what
makes the Adadyne system lame in my opinion. I definately enjoy the
G1000 more.

-Robert

Old October 17th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
news.chi.sbcglobal.net

You're thinkiing of the G900...G1000 for kitplanes.

The G600 is simply a six-pack replacement for certified aircraft.

As far as lame goes, the potential buyers of the G600 probably already have
GNS430s/GNS480s/GNS530s in their airplane. Why would they want/need to
replace them?

ups.com...

Old October 17th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Mike Isaksen" wrote in message
I recently began familiarizing myself with the present Glass replacements
for the old six pack and was told the new G600 needs a feed from a G430.
Anyone confirm this?

Yes, you do need a GNS 430/530. From Aviation Consumer: "...controls for
PFD/MFD are also near at hand directly in front of the pilot, although comm
and nav functions are limited to the GNS430s or 530s that run the G600."

You might want to check out Aspen Avionics competing products. They are
targeted to be 1/3 of the price with significantly less install complexity
and cost. http://www.aspenavionics.com/index.p...cts/evolution/

Marco

Old October 17th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Marco Leon" wrote in message ...
You might want to check out Aspen Avionics competing products. They are
targeted to be 1/3 of the price with significantly less install complexity
and cost. http://www.aspenavionics.com/index.p...cts/evolution/

I am definitely looking at the Aspen products. I think they have a great
"potential product".

But I was burned badly during the dotcom days of vaporware promises, and now
dig deep and agressively for actual product delivery and sales count. The
Aspen guys seem to have that dotcom holdover mentality of mass marketing. At
OSH they touted their product as being readied for delivery to dealers. At
the summer's end they modified their web site claiming TSO'd status in 800
aircraft requiring minimum approvals. At the recent AOPA Hartford Expo I
inquired at the booth and got a great demo, and told that they already
shipped models to dealers. Some more questions about which dealers (by name)
were ready to begin installs, and they became a bit less sure. Another booth
rep comes over and admits that the week before the Aspen engineers and the
FAA spent three days flight testing the product, and the FAA tasked them
with changing some of the "button pushing sequences" which they didn't like.
This doesn't sound like it's TSO'd and approved primary in 800 aircraft to
me! Then I asked about the models already sent to dealers, and I was told
they were not aware of any having been installed in "end customer" certified
aircraft. Then I asked how those Button Pushing Mods would be retrofitted
into those already sent to the dealers. They answered that it would probably
be software related, and they didn't anticipate any chip level mods. Then my
final series of questions was if the Vac systems needed to be maintained, or
could they be ripped out. I got a look like it was the first time the
question was asked. A third Aspen booth rep suggested that the vac guages
(he said the AI) may need to be relocated.

None of that gave me a warm and fuzzy. I am very excited about their
product. They have set the bar for our 30+ yo airframes, and anyone thinking
of upgrading to an HSI would be crazy not to consider this Apsen system. But
I just don't think they are ready for prime time yet. Stay tuned.

Old October 17th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

I am definitely looking at the Aspen products. I think they have a great
"potential product".

[snip]

None of that gave me a warm and fuzzy. I am very excited about their
product. They have set the bar for our 30+ yo airframes, and anyone
thinking of upgrading to an HSI would be crazy not to consider this Apsen
system. But I just don't think they are ready for prime time yet. Stay
tuned.

I would wait too. However, I don't think they can be fairly categorized as
being vaporware considering that they have a physical example that's going
through FAA certification. To me that means that they're in the home
stretch--but what do I know?. It also makes sense that there are no installs
in certified aircraft considering they have not completed the TSO cert. It
should raise some eyebrows if there were already examples in certified A/C.

I'm not a candidate for an upgrade but if I was, the potential savings might
be worth an extra few months wait. The non-required custom panel for the
Aspen would save tens of thousands of $ in install cost alone. Aviation
Consumer is estimating the G600 walk-away install cost to be in the range of
$30K making the total in the $60K range. Ouch. Of course, the jury is still
out on the Aspen products but I'll be surprised if it reaches the $25K mark.

Good luck in your search.

Marco

Old October 17th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 17, 3:54 am, "news.chi.sbcglobal.net"
wrote:
You're thinkiing of the G900...G1000 for kitplanes.

The G600 is simply a six-pack replacement for certified aircraft.

As far as lame goes, the potential buyers of the G600 probably already have
GNS430s/GNS480s/GNS530s in their airplane. Why would they want/need to
replace them?

For the same reason I find flying the Cirrus Avadyne system lame. The
lack of integration. The G1000 system in the Mooney is so much nicer.
Everything at one screen, no need to fumble from unit to unit to
change nav/com, set flight plan, initiate approach, etc

-robert

Old October 17th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Marco Leon" wrote in message

I would wait too. However, I don't think they can be fairly categorized as
being vaporware considering that they have a physical example that's going
through FAA certification. To me that means that they're in the home stretch--

I wish them all the luck in the world, but with FAA certification you are not
in the "home stretch" until you have a certificate in your hand, and sometimes
not even then.

Vaughn

Old October 18th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

It's very difficult to retrofit all of the G1000 LRUs into an older
certified aircraft, hence the G600 (six pack) to go with the G430/480/530
radios..

jmho
BT

oups.com...