A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Accounts of Parachuting Experiences

Old August 3rd 15, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Accounts of Parachuting Experiences

Michael:

What sort of landings do the modern ram-air canopies give if the jumper does nothing to flare or otherwise control the touchdown? I was under the impression that a round chute can't give you the control and nice touchdown that a ram-air can but that it will deliver you reasonably safely to the ground even if you provide no control input and that is why they are still used as emergency bail-out chutes. Next time I see my rigger I'll ask him because he did quite a bit of his jumping in the days when the round chutes were the only type in use and I was curious about what you think as well, given your experience level. I've considered going for a few jumps myself but have never done it as I was thinking along the same lines as you about how it may be of limited use considering the different situation and equipment. If anyone offered emergency training and jumps under the type of chute I wear though I would seriously consider it.

I've always been kind of surprised at how high the success rate is with glider bail outs. As I recall, in the K-21 that suffered a lightning strike one of the pilots was only on his first or second introductory lesson!
Old August 3rd 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi my post above yours gives this link to my story. I was the passenger in the ASK-21 that was destroyed by lightning back in 1999. You will read that it was a trial flight for my 30th birthday. https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3... v47WoEn3ry2Xw
Old August 3rd 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Purchasing a ram air parachute from Allen Silver 12 years ago required proof of proficiency. Did two square chute jumps, WHAT FUN! Each jump included flying downwind / base / final and stand-up spot landings. OK, the 100+ hours of paraglider helped. Can be done but not as easy or comfortable with a round chute. Round chutes won't necessarily take you where you want to land if it's windy. You'll be going backwards on final if the wind is much over 10MPH.(remembering 20 jumps using ancient LL and 7TU)
My expensive seat cushion is a Performance Designs PD235. After the toggles are released, the forward speed is about 25MPH. Without releasing the steering toggles, the chute will fly slower: Best L/D and Min Sink speeds.
Jim