A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WTB 13.5 FES

Old August 3rd 15, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Rinaldi
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

Considering the purchase of a 13.5 FES. I believe the future for the electric self-launch is bright especially with the performance reports I'm reading. Any thoughts? What to buy?
Old August 3rd 15, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 8:00:35 AM UTC-4, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
Considering the purchase of a 13.5 FES. I believe the future for the electric self-launch is bright especially with the performance reports I'm reading. Any thoughts? What to buy?

What performance reports? I have not seen any published. There was an article in Gliding International but little performance detail. There are interesting claims...

Old August 3rd 15, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 2:08:10 PM UTC+1, Dan Daly wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 8:00:35 AM UTC-4, Mike Rinaldi wrote:

What performance reports? I have not seen any published. There was an article in Gliding International but little performance detail. There are interesting claims...

I would wait to see how the self-launching GP14 Velo works out.
Old August 4th 15, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

Because it looks to me like the GP14 velo might have significantly higher performance and be a more desirable glider for more pilots as a new or used purchase. Much will depend on its flight characteristics and build quality. Time will tell.
Old August 4th 15, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 10:46:52 UTC+3, wrote:
Because it looks to me like the GP14 velo might have significantly higher performance and be a more desirable glider for more pilots as a new or used purchase. Much will depend on its flight characteristics and build quality. Time will tell.

The performance gap between GP14, miniLak and Diana makes Silents obsolete. It is showing already.
Old August 4th 15, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 9:34:44 AM UTC+1, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 10:46:52 UTC+3, wrote:

The performance gap between GP14, miniLak and Diana makes Silents obsolete. It is showing already.

another 13,5m manufacturer L/D 36
(no connection)
http://www.proairsport.com/
Old August 4th 15, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 5:00:35 AM UTC-7, Mike Rinaldi wrote:

I'm curious as to what the appeal is to a less than 15 meter glider. Not critizing, just asking an honest question. I get it if you want to race in that class, but are there other appealing factors that escape me? They are all 40:1, so it would be easy to find a slightly used glider for less than a new. Must be that you can get power options like FES and a reasonably good performing glider for a less than astronomical price?
Old August 4th 15, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 9:15:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 5:00:35 AM UTC-7, Mike Rinaldi wrote:

I'm curious as to what the appeal is to a less than 15 meter glider. Not critizing, just asking an honest question. I get it if you want to race in that class, but are there other appealing factors that escape me? They are all 40:1, so it would be easy to find a slightly used glider for less than a new. Must be that you can get power options like FES and a reasonably good performing glider for a less than astronomical price?

Imagine ASW-20 performance with twice the roll rate and easier assembly. Oh, and FES. I think that's a very attractive mix.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old August 4th 15, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Rinaldi
external usenet poster

Default WTB 13.5 FES

Easier to rig by yourself. Smaller/lighter. Self launching is self-explanatory.