WTB 13.5 FES

Old August 4th 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default WTB 13.5 FES

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 1:07:04 PM UTC-4, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
Easier to rig by yourself. Smaller/lighter. Self launching is self-explanatory.

Smaller/hopefully less expensive trailer/needs smaller towplane/new finsh (possibly PU paint)/hopefully auto control hookups.
Old August 4th 15, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 12:11:35 PM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 1:07:04 PM UTC-4, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
Easier to rig by yourself. Smaller/lighter. Self launching is self-explanatory.

Smaller/hopefully less expensive trailer/needs smaller towplane/new finsh (possibly PU paint)/hopefully auto control hookups.

Electro is auto hookups.
Sparrowhawk R is manual

Leah prefers the weight of the Electro wing to the Cirrus. She also likes like motor on the nose to get me home if needed. Now if only we had enough equity in the house...
Old August 6th 15, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 07:56:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 2:08:10 PM UTC+1, Dan Daly wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 8:00:35 AM UTC-4, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
Considering the purchase of a 13.5 FES. I believe the future for the electric self-launch is bright especially with the performance reports I'm reading. Any thoughts? What to buy?

What performance reports? I have not seen any published. There was an article in Gliding International but little performance detail. There are interesting claims...

I would wait to see how the self-launching GP14 Velo works out.

In Europe most of the 13.5m class are flying as microlights which
require 300kg max weight (or 315kg with ballistic parachute) and 35kt
max stall speed in landing config. However ther is no such
requirement for the FAI 13.5m class so a cut down Diana is ideal to
win the contest but not sure how they'd get it certified.

Also the Silent is available now. As someone who has gone from 57 to
62 years old while waiting for a jet or FES to be approved for my
ASW27 I've decided I can't wait any longer and I gone for the Silent.
It will stay with an LS4 until the LS4 pilot fills his glider with
water and is very light for an old chap and his wife to rig.