Piper Cub Vs F-15

Old June 29th 04, 05:13 PM
Emilio

Default Piper Cub Vs F-15

It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

Emilio.

Old June 29th 04, 05:19 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:13:15 -0500, "Emilio"
wrote:

It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

Emilio.

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another. The J-3 would be cruising at 65-75 MPH while
the 172 might be doing closer to 120-140.

Since the Eagle can come over the fence on landing at 130 KIAS or
thereabout, it isn't too tough to dump flaps and throw up the barn
door, then load up the big engines to hang on them at low speed. Not
comfy, but easily doable.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 29th 04, 06:28 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another.

Actually, I think you'll find a Piper Cub is always a J-3.

Old June 29th 04, 06:53 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:28:43 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another.

Actually, I think you'll find a Piper Cub is always a J-3.

While a "Piper Cub" may not be a Taylorcraft or an Aeronca, I've seen
it applied quite comfortably to a J-4 and (IIRC) J-6. They probably
had a proper corporate nomenclature, but as canvas-sided,
tail-dragging, Continental-powered, products of Piper Aircraft, they
pretty much got stuck with the moniker.

I got my first flying lessons and solo hours in a J-3 and wish
fervently that I owned one today. Not much good for travel, but it was
easy to "dance the sky" and the yellow aero-doped wings were pretty
easy to "laughter-silver."

Got my first (student) license supension and grounding flying a PA-22
Colt. And passed my Private license check flight in a PA-18 Super
Cub--damn complex, it had a radio and flaps!

Old June 29th 04, 07:40 PM
Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:53:35 -0600, Ed Rasimus
proclaimed:

Not much good for travel, but it was
easy to "dance the sky" and the yellow aero-doped wings were pretty
easy to "laughter-silver."

"laughter-silver." is a term I'm not familiar with. Care to enlighten
me?
Old June 29th 04, 08:34 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:40:52 GMT, Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:53:35 -0600, Ed Rasimus
proclaimed:

Not much good for travel, but it was
easy to "dance the sky" and the yellow aero-doped wings were pretty
easy to "laughter-silver."

"laughter-silver." is a term I'm not familiar with. Care to enlighten
me?

Refer to John Gillespie Magee.

Old June 30th 04, 04:15 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com wrote in message

"laughter-silver." is a term I'm not familiar with. Care to enlighten
me?

It's from the poem "High Flight".

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew -
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Old June 30th 04, 04:11 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

While a "Piper Cub" may not be a Taylorcraft or an Aeronca, I've seen
it applied quite comfortably to a J-4 and (IIRC) J-6. They probably
had a proper corporate nomenclature, but as canvas-sided,
tail-dragging, Continental-powered, products of Piper Aircraft, they
pretty much got stuck with the moniker.

There are those who use "Piper Cub" to describe any light aircraft, and some
refer to all of the long-wing rag-and-tube Pipers as Cubs.

My earlier statement, that a Piper Cub is always a J-3, was not quite
correct. While all of the Cubs prior to the J-3 (E-2, F-2, H-2, and J-2)
were certificated by Taylor Aircraft Company, a few J-2s were built after
the company moved from Bradford to Lock Haven and became Piper. The J-3
supplanted the J-2 six months after the move.

There were later variants as well, but they weren't just called "Cub". The
J-4 was called the "Cub Coupe", the J-5 the "Cub Cruiser", and the PA-18 the
"Super Cub".

I got my first flying lessons and solo hours in a J-3 and wish
fervently that I owned one today. Not much good for travel, but it was
easy to "dance the sky" and the yellow aero-doped wings were pretty
easy to "laughter-silver."

I own an Aeronca 7AC, similar performance to a J-3 but you get to sit up
front where you can see.

Old June 30th 04, 05:49 PM
Darrell

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

Got my first (student) license supension and grounding flying a PA-22
Colt. And passed my Private license check flight in a PA-18 Super
Cub--damn complex, it had a radio and flaps!

And don't forget the elevator trim handle on the left you had to rotate like
mad to trim it before landing. Seems I always scratched my knuckles on the
metal wall while trying to do that. I never got my pilots license in it
because I was in the Aviation Cadet program in the Air Force. We went from
the Cub to the T-6 in Primary and then I flew the T-28 and T-33 in Basic
Training.

Strange. I never got my civilian ticket until I was Aircraft Commander in a
B-52H at Minot AFB, ND. Took the special written (civilian Regs) and got a
Commercial Multi-engine Instrument ticket. No single engine privileges
because I wasn't current in any single engine aircraft. I had to go to the
civilian airport and check out in a Mooney to get it to include single
engine. (couldn't afford to rent a multi-engine for our vacation trip).

-

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-