Socket Mobile Battery/Charger

Old July 28th 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

Default Socket Mobile Battery/Charger

I'm not sure if this can support it or not so I'm asking:

Can you plug a USB adapter into the Socket and charge multiple USB devices into the Socket for charging simultaneously? (for example: Socket-4USB Adaptor-2 Phones

thanks,
John

Old July 28th 12, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_31_]

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:27:04 PM UTC-4, John wrote:
I'm not sure if this can support it or not so I'm asking:

Can you plug a USB adapter into the Socket and charge multiple USB devices into the Socket for charging simultaneously? (for example: Socket-4USB Adaptor-2 Phones

thanks,

John

You didn't say what your USB socket was on? It is a question that also interests me. I now have 3 on-board devices (ClearNav Vario, ClearNav and FLARM) all with USB ports. Could be helpful to charge a dying phone on an outlanding...

-Jim
Old July 28th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Clarke

At 21:35 28 July 2012, Jim wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:27:04 PM UTC-4, John wrote:
I'm not sure if this can support it or not so I'm asking:

Can you plug a USB adapter into the Socket and charge multiple USB

devices into the Socket for charging simultaneously? (for example:
Socket-4USB Adaptor-2 Phones

thanks,

John

You didn't say what your USB socket was on? It is a question that also
interests me. I now have 3 on-board devices (ClearNav Vario, ClearNav and
FLARM) all with USB ports. Could be helpful to charge a dying phone on an
outlanding...

-Jim

"Socket" with a capital "S".

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/socket.htm

Mike

Old July 29th 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Possibly, but it depends on the device that's feeding the socket. For
example, My Cambridge 302 outputs 5v on the serial line but only 500mA (so
I'm told). It is not enough to charge my Dell Streak 5 - only enough to
slow down the discharge. To remedy that situation, I modified a car charger
intended for mobile GPS or cell phones (5.17v output) and connected it
directly to my ship's DC bus (with a fuse and on/off switch, of course). It
will charge the Streak in flight very quickly.

I'd suggest you do likewise. Get a car charger that puts out 5v and a USB
extender cable. Cut the cable and connect the red and black wires to +
and - respectively. It'll supply what you need.

Old July 29th 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

The Socket Mobile Power Pack uses a standard USB (rectangular) connector.
It is feasible that you could connect 2 devices to one Socket Mobile Power
Pack using a USB splitter of some sort. I would be a little nervous that if
one of the 2 devices was at a significantly higher voltage than the other
device there could be significant current flow between them - but it is
probably unlikely that would be a problem.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old July 29th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have personally had success in plugging two low current devices in to a Socket Power Pack. I used a USB- 3 Outlet Splitter. Everything worked fine until I plugged in something with a higher current draw, then the splitter turned off and acted like it had been unplugged. Once I unplugged it and then plugged it back in, the two low draw devices worked fine. I think the limitation is mainly in the type of USB splitter that you use.

The two devices that I had were the NANO and the Collibri II. They worked fine together. Once I plugged in my phone (XC SOAR) it had issues and nothing got external power.
Old July 29th 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

.... Or modify something like this:

http://stuntcams.com/shop/gopro-char...ter-p-173.html

Open it up and attach red and black wires to the appropriate terminals (it
should be apparent) and use a panel mounted switch to connect/remove ship's
power. It should also have an internal fuse which will be obvious when you
open it. If not, use an inline fuse of 5 amps or so.

Or... you could wire in a cigarette lighter adaptor and simply plug the
thing in. It will easily feed two devices through a splitter.

Old July 29th 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....Or this:

http://www.getusb.info/review-usb-car-adapter-charger/

It looks to me like the end cap of this one will come off and mount directly
to your panel giving you two USB power ports. How simple is that?

Old July 29th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:27:04 AM UTC-7, John wrote:
I'm not sure if this can support it or not so I'm asking:

Can you plug a USB adapter into the Socket and charge multiple USB devices into the Socket for charging simultaneously? (for example: Socket-4USB Adaptor-2 Phones

thanks,

John

I should have clarified - my example was exactly the situation I want to do - to be able to charge both phones (same type) from the Socket Mobile Battery (product). I do have a cigarette-lighter adapter that has two USB ports on it which is usual to charge both of our phones at the same time. It's just when we are out and about and need to charge them. Purely a non-aviation use for the battery I used to use to power my 310 last year.