Scanning

Old October 28th 05, 12:33 PM
john smith

Default Scanning

Does playing/having played sports increase ones situational awareness
while flying?
(Just one of those things I think of while sitting in the lifeguard
chair protecting and empty pool.)
Old October 28th 05, 02:48 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:33:51 GMT, john smith wrote in
::

Does playing/having played sports increase ones situational awareness
while flying?

If you consider Chess a sport, it might.

Old October 28th 05, 02:58 PM
Nathan Young

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:33:51 GMT, john smith wrote:

Does playing/having played sports increase ones situational awareness
while flying?
(Just one of those things I think of while sitting in the lifeguard
chair protecting and empty pool.)

I would think that any activity that promotes multitasking and
siutational awareness adds to the basic skills to make a good pilot.
However, in this case, the benefit is probably quite small.

Old October 28th 05, 08:56 PM
Skywise

Nathan Young wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:33:51 GMT, john smith wrote:

Does playing/having played sports increase ones situational awareness
while flying?
(Just one of those things I think of while sitting in the lifeguard
chair protecting and empty pool.)

I would think that any activity that promotes multitasking and
siutational awareness adds to the basic skills to make a good pilot.
However, in this case, the benefit is probably quite small.

How about riding a motorcycle for 18 years in LA and Orange
counties? There's times I get where I'm going and have to
sit for a few minutes to let the adrenaline fade.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Supernews sucks - blocking google, usenet.com & newsfeeds.com posts
Old October 29th 05, 01:59 PM
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

Does playing/having played sports increase ones situational awareness
while flying?

I suppose it depends on the sport. NASCAR driver? Probably. Curling?
Probably not.

--
Peter

Old October 29th 05, 02:33 PM
Judah

john smith wrote in news:jsmith-74A58D.07335128102005
@news-rdr-01.ohiordc.rr.com:

Does playing/having played sports increase ones situational awareness
while flying?
(Just one of those things I think of while sitting in the lifeguard
chair protecting and empty pool.)

Golf for sure...

The search for the little ball in the air and/or in the grass is very
similar to the search for traffic that has just been called.

Old October 31st 05, 06:00 AM
Jay Honeck

How about riding a motorcycle for 18 years in LA and Orange
counties? There's times I get where I'm going and have to
sit for a few minutes to let the adrenaline fade.

18 years? Man, you really are a glutton for punishment!

I've ridden in LA traffic twice. Don't want to do it again any time soon.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 05, 09:27 PM
Skywise

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:aqi9f.289100$084.78299
@attbi_s22:

How about riding a motorcycle for 18 years in LA and Orange
counties? There's times I get where I'm going and have to
sit for a few minutes to let the adrenaline fade.

18 years? Man, you really are a glutton for punishment!

I've ridden in LA traffic twice. Don't want to do it again any time soon.

Ok...minus one year that was in Washington state back in 91-92.

I learned to ride here and it's pretty much all I know. I have
a feeling if you can live for 18 years on a motorcycle in this
traffic (where I've actually had people TRY to run me off the
freeway because 80 wasn't fast enough*) then I must be doing
something right. As an aside, I've learned that if it's a choice
between my safety and obeying the law, the law get's thrown out
the window damned fast. Fortunately I've never had to argue that
in court.

*Funny how it's not considered assualt with a deadly weapon by
law enforcement. If you do the same to a cop it's assault. What
makes it happening to me any different? Just making a point, I'm
not expecting a discussion on it.

Back to lurking.....

Old November 2nd 05, 05:20 AM
Jay Honeck

I learned to ride here and it's pretty much all I know. I have
a feeling if you can live for 18 years on a motorcycle in this
traffic (where I've actually had people TRY to run me off the
freeway because 80 wasn't fast enough*) then I must be doing
something right.

LA is the only place I've ever ridden where (a) I was actually spat at, and
(b) people actively tried to cut me off.

And I was riding a Gold Wing, with Mary on the back. Not exactly the
"outlaw" biker you might expect would raise people's ire.

A strange bunch, out there in La-la land...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 2nd 05, 07:34 AM
Skywise

"Jay Honeck" wrote in
news0Y9f.532553$xm3.374203@attbi_s21:

I learned to ride here and it's pretty much all I know. I have
a feeling if you can live for 18 years on a motorcycle in this
traffic (where I've actually had people TRY to run me off the
freeway because 80 wasn't fast enough*) then I must be doing
something right.

LA is the only place I've ever ridden where (a) I was actually spat at,
and (b) people actively tried to cut me off.

Been there....done that....

I used to have lots of problems but I changed my riding style several
years ago and now it's rare for me to have 'issues'. There's several
ways I've found to sum it up,

I ride like everyone is trying to kill me.

I'm allergic to cars.

As a matter of fact, I DO own the road.

I pretend I'm in an F-16 flying low and out of ammo. All I
can do is outrun the enemy.

I'm sure I **** a few people off as I do what I do, but I'm only
doing what I've found is necessary to stay alive. I don't feel
as immortal as I did when I first started riding as a teenager.

I also don't take kindly to people telling me that what I do is
wrong or part of the problem, etc... When they've been riding
for as long as I have and been through what I've been through on
the road, then we'll talk.

And I was riding a Gold Wing, with Mary on the back. Not exactly the
"outlaw" biker you might expect would raise people's ire.

hahahaha....maybe that's been helping me a bit!

I'm not 'outlaw'...but I would not get looked at funny if I walked
into a 'biker bar' (not that I drink). I have the Harley, I have the
leathers, I have the long hair and (short) beard...if your newsreader
can read X-Face...But the point is I'm not one of those new fangled
yuppy "biker for the weekend" types.

Most people seem to find me quite puzzling. A long haired Harley
riding loud music listening (and playing)....amateur scientist.

A strange bunch, out there in La-la land...

You don't have to tell me!!! I am actually shocked, literally, when
someone goes out of their way to not be an ass. It's sad really, but
I think I've come to expect all humans to be that way. Perhaps I
need to get out of this area....I keep buying lottery tickets...