Biggest Glider Ever Launched via Winch?

Old November 21st 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Default Biggest Glider Ever Launched via Winch?

wrote:
In our winch clinic last week, the paraglider folks we shared the dry
lake with, seemed surprised we could get something as big as a Blanik
off the ground with a long steel cable.

Their tandem instructor asked our CFIG, "what was the largest gross
weight sailplane ever ground launched". Never really thought about it
before.

Received my winch checkout in PA in a 1,200 lb. Slingsby T-53. Lots of
airfoil, climbed great.

Starting a "can you top this" thread....

Thanks,

Michael

Go to
http://www.luftarchiv.de/ and select 'English'. Then select from
the main menue Misc. Apparatus and scroll down to the photo showing a
He-111 being 'winch-launched'. Not exactly a glider but nevertheless, a
clever idea to get a power plane airborne quickly and much cheaper than
with RATO or JATO devices.

Uli Neumann

Old November 22nd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

GM wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Didn't find this, but interesting things under 'catapult vessels'

Frank Whiteley

Old November 22nd 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

The photo is under "Haul-Proceeds", which is about glider towing and
related matters. It's unusual to see a twin-engined aircraft being winch
launched, but the picture suggests it worked OK, at least as far as
transitioning into the climb.

Old November 22nd 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

GM wrote:
Go to http://www.luftarchiv.de/ and select 'English'. Then select from
the main menue Misc. Apparatus and scroll down to the photo showing a
He-111 being 'winch-launched'. Not exactly a glider but nevertheless, a
clever idea to get a power plane airborne quickly and much cheaper than
with RATO or JATO devices.

Thats a great site for gliders and Luftwaffe aircraft in general. Thanks
for posting the reference.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 22nd 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Martin Gregorie wrote:
GM wrote:
Go to http://www.luftarchiv.de/ and select 'English'. Then select from
the main menue Misc. Apparatus and scroll down to the photo showing a
He-111 being 'winch-launched'. Not exactly a glider but nevertheless, a
clever idea to get a power plane airborne quickly and much cheaper than
with RATO or JATO devices.

Thats a great site for gliders and Luftwaffe aircraft in general. Thanks
for posting the reference.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |

You are welcome! I find this site very educational and factual, without
the usual political ballast.

Uli Neumann