VFR position reporting

Old November 22nd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default VFR position reporting

Jim Logajan writes:

I believe the transmission of weather information by use of abbreviated
METAR codes originated in the days of 10 character-per-second Teletypes (or
possibly even earlier). The ASR 33 Teletype (the model I'm personally
familiar with) could only print uppercase characters. At that slow rate of
printing and usingg such a limited character set, brevity was an asset.

Brevity is still an advantage today, albeit a less important one.

Old November 22nd 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Stewart

Viperdoc wrote:

How did the sim group shut him out? Please share it with the rest of us so
we can do the same.

Actually I'm going to France next summer- perhaps I should look him up and
give him a stack of old charts and books. Besides, I've never seen a real
live troll before.

But that would be "feeding the troll"

Old November 22nd 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Stewart

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Some how your thought on my flying skills concern me not in the least.

I saw this article the other day and thought about you.
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/membe...icles/3582.cfm

Since I'm not a member, there's no point in giving me a link.

Sorry

He should get a simulated subscription to AOPA.

This is starting to remind me of the Monte Python
skit where John Cleese trys to get a license for
his pet halibut.

Mxsmanic shows up at the Consignes de Navigabilite...

Mxsmanic: I'd like a license for my simulator plane

Clerk: A license?

Mxsmanic: Yes

Clerk: For a simulator plane?

Mxsmanic: Yes

Clerk: You *are* a loony

Mxsmanic: Look, it's a bleeding plane isn't it? I've
got a license for my Mario Kart.

Clerk: You don't need a license for your Mario Kart

Mxsmanic: I bleedin' well do and I've got one! Can't
be caught out there!

Clerk: There is no such thing as a bloody Mario Kart
license.

Mxsmanic: Is!

Clerk: Isn't!

Mxsmanic: Is!

Clerk: Isn't!

Mxsmanic: Is!

Clerk: Isn't!

Mxsmanic: Is!

Clerk: Isn't!

Mxsmanic: What's that then?

Clerk: This is a bicycle license with the word 'bicycle'
crossed out and 'Mario kart' written in, in crayon.

Mxsmanic: Man didn't have the right form.

Clerk: What man?

Mxsmanic: The man from the Mario Kart detector van.

Clerk: The loony detector van, you mean....

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/fish.htm

Old November 22nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kev

Dudley Henriques wrote:
I've always had an issue with the fact that Kennedy wasn't as aware as he
should have been about the dangers of horizon loss in the area under certain
weather conditions and at certain times of the day. [...]

And he wasn't the only one who spiraled in within the same area. Not
long before him, a professional crew doing night IFR certification did
just what he did... and that was with _three_ experienced pilots
aboard.

So it's hard to totally give him grief in this case. As we all know
from research, it can take less than a minute to go from start of
spiral to death.

Regards, Kev

Old November 23rd 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Kev,

night IFR certification

wazzat?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 23rd 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kev

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Kev,
night IFR certification

wazzat?

Yeah, sorry, that's what happens when you write with a four-year old on
your lap and your wife is yelling that dinner's ready... you take
shortcuts and hope people extrapolate :-)

I meant, it was pilots for a small airline that needed to get some
simulated IFR time for company currency requirements. So they chose a
dark moonless night over the ocean, and crashed while practicing
unusual attitude recovery when they all got disoriented.

Kev

Old November 23rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

I meant, it was pilots for a small airline that needed to get some
simulated IFR time for company currency requirements. So they chose a
dark moonless night over the ocean, and crashed while practicing
unusual attitude recovery when they all got disoriented.

Did they lose their jobs?

Old November 23rd 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Kev, re your comment about another accident in the same area -- can you
offer other information or a link to the NTSB report?

Thanks

Tony

Old November 24th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kev

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:

I meant, it was pilots for a small airline that needed to get some
simulated IFR time for company currency requirements. So they chose a
dark moonless night over the ocean, and crashed while practicing
unusual attitude recovery when they all got disoriented.

Did they lose their jobs?

IIRC, they lost their lives, and the incident was reconstructed from
the black box recording.

Kev

Old November 24th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Tony wrote:
Kev, re your comment about another accident in the same area -- can you
offer other information or a link to the NTSB report?

Man, I'm sorry. I have looked and looked tonight and can't seem to
find that NTSB report again. I even tried Googling my own posts,
since I know I wrote about it on Usenet back in 1999 when JFK Jr
crashed.

My memory is dim, but I believe it was a very small airline, perhaps
even an island air taxi kind of service. I seem to recall that the
NTSB report had a lot of the conversation (they didn't just guess what
the crew was doing) so they must've had a recording to work from, which
I'm not sure an air taxi requires.

I'll keep looking. This is a little frustrating. I want to blame the
chemotherapy, but I think it's just old age :-)

Kev