Volkslogger help need

Old March 16th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Default Volkslogger help need

Dear Friends,
Can someone help me get my laptop to talk to my volkslogger to extract my
igc. flight log please.

I've got the instruction book out in front of me and have the logger
powered up and in the download mode but nothing happens..

Do I need a special software to do this?

I am trying to do it with the seeyou utility and nothing, nada.

What am I not doing?

Thanks
Nick Kennedy
Old March 16th 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Mar 15, 8:30*pm, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Dear Friends,
Can someone help me get my laptop to talk to my volkslogger to extract my
igc. flight log please.

I've got the instruction book out in front of me and have the logger
powered up and in the download mode but nothing happens..

Do I need a special software to do this?

I am trying to do it with the seeyou utility and nothing, nada.

What am I not doing?

Thanks
Nick Kennedy

In SeeYou, select "file" then "connection wizard" then select
Volkslogger as device type.

Bill Daniels
Old March 16th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

In http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/, select "Categories" then "GPS
Flight Recorders" then select "EW Avionics" then "Add to cart".

MasterCard as device type.

Tuno
Old March 16th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Mar 15, 8:19*pm, Tuno wrote:
Inhttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/, select "Categories" then "GPS
Flight Recorders" then select "EW Avionics" then "Add to cart".

MasterCard as device type.

Tuno

I second Tuno's instructions! They have worked REALLY well for me!

As a fallback position:
1) Download the software
http://volkslogger.de/downloads/VL-Manager.exe (Windows)
http://www.human-software.nl/en/geops/index.shtml (Mac)

2) Install the software

3) Now monkey with odd cables (make sure you have an old D-Sub style
serial cable, or a serial-to-usb converter!).

4) Now fiddle with the cryptic menus on the Volkslogger to get it into
"PC" / "Download" mode.

5) Now fiddle with the software you installed to get it talking to the
logger on the right port at the right settings.

6) View the flights on the logger through the software. If you don't
see your flight, too bad! Sometimes flights in-progress are not
closed/finished out by the system, and switching to PC mode on the
Volkslogger wipes out the file.

7) Download the flight to the computer via the software. Wait 5 - 10
minutes while the damn thing slooooowwwwly downloads over the serial
connection at 1980's-dial-up-modem speeds.

8) Output the IGC file to your computer hard drive and use a different
(better) program to analyze the flight!

9) Look longingly back at Tuno's instructions and strongly consider
buying an ewMicroRecorder before your next big flight! :-P

--Noel
P.S. For those that haven't seen one, the ewMicroRecorder is about
the size of a deck of cards. It either plugs into your PC via a USB
cable and appears as a "thumb-drive" device; or it has an SD card
(like a digital camera), which you can plug into a card reader on your
PC. The files are in IGC format and transfer easily and quickly (drag-
and-drop, no special software or odd cables)!

Old March 16th 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 02:30 16 March 2009, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Dear Friends,
Can someone help me get my laptop to talk to my volkslogger to extract

my
igc. flight log please.

I've got the instruction book out in front of me and have the logger
powered up and in the download mode but nothing happens..

Do I need a special software to do this?

I am trying to do it with the seeyou utility and nothing, nada.

What am I not doing?

Thanks
Nick Kennedy

Be more specific!
Can you connect anything else to your laptop using the same port?
Are you using a Serial-USB adapter? Can you borrow a different one?

Do you have Microsoft Active Sync running? If so, File | Connection
Settings, uncheck the box that says "Allow connections to one of the
following:" (COM1)

Start SeeYou, hit F9 (Start connection wizard), set it to Volkslogger, Now
connect the Volkslogger.
You have only 10 seconds for the connection to establish or the logger
goes into Nav mode instead of PC mode

If you don't have SeeYou, try the igcshell program + Volkslogger dll,
available free from the FAI website
http://www.fai.org/gliding/system/files/igcdll.zip
http://www.fai.org/gliding/system/files/igc-gcs.dll

Old March 16th 09, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 15, 7:30*pm, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Dear Friends,
Can someone help me get my laptop to talk to my volkslogger to extract my
igc. flight log please.

I've got the instruction book out in front of me and have the logger
powered up and in the download mode but nothing happens..

Do I need a special software to do this?

I am trying to do it with the seeyou utility and nothing, nada.

What am I not doing?

Thanks
Nick Kennedy

Nick,

Before you try to connect the Volkslogger. Start Microsoft Active
Sync and go File - Connections- uncheck all the boxes this will
disable active sync and allow your serial port to work with SeeYou.

Then try again.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old March 17th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Nick:

Tuno's was the best advice!

Mike

Old March 17th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Mike,

I'm sure Nick took my advice with the humor that was intended,
licensed first by dealing with all those Volksloggers as the scorer at
Parowan last year and last by helping Nick drag his G-103 out of the
groundhog field after his rope break on the last day so he could get
back in the air, win the day and win the contest!

Memorable day, that.

2NO

Looking for a Volkslogger Ron Gleason Soaring 1 December 14th 06 04:09 AM
Volkslogger + Mac Wouter Wessels Soaring 14 April 14th 05 10:05 PM
Looking for a Volkslogger Del Ogren Soaring 0 August 20th 04 03:00 AM
Volkslogger Going fer it Soaring 1 February 17th 04 04:43 AM
WTB: volkslogger GH Soaring 0 November 9th 03 02:27 AM