Why GA is Dying

Old July 28th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

Default OT rifle caliber (was Why GA is Dying)

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Jose wrote:
.30/06 is the rifle caliber.

Nope.
.30-'06

Yep, caliber and year, not a fraction.

Ok, what do the numbers mean? I've heard of a "thirty ought six"
referring to a gun, and think I know one of them (.30 inches?) refers to
the gauge (width of the bullet). What's the other?

The year, 1906.

1906 is the years adopted by the military -- 100 years young.

Waiting for the 1911's centennial in five years.

Old July 28th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Newps wrote:

Nope.
.30-'06

Yep, caliber and year, not a fraction.

Ok, what do the numbers mean? I've heard of a "thirty ought six"
referring to a gun, and think I know one of them (.30 inches?) refers
the gauge (width of the bullet). What's the other?

The year, 1906.

Actually, the .30-06 was came out in 1903 -- hence, the 03-A3
Springfield. IIRC, it was adopted as a military standard round in 1906.

Nope! The '03 was slightly different and when modified, was put in final
production as the '06.

From the 1903 Springfield Tribute Page:

"The round developed for the 1903 was a Mauser-style rimless cartridge that
fired a 220-grain cupro-nickel-jacketed roundnose .30 bullet at some 2,300
feet per second (fps). Following the adoption by the Germans of a 154-grain
spitzer bullet that had a muzzle velocity of 2,880 fps, U.S. Ordnance
officials began rethinking our 1903 round and came up with an improved
version with a 150-grain spitzer bullet and MV of 2,700. The new "Model
1906" (or .30-'06) case was .070 inch longer than its predecessor and more
than lived up to its promise as a military round. With various loadings it
became one of the world’s preeminent hunting rounds and a not too bad
targeteer. "

Old July 28th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

Default POL Why GA is Dying

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
I think the Dutch paid the Indians $32 in junk jewelry and
beads.

$26 for Manhattan.

It wasn't their's to sell.

Old July 28th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:23:35 -0500, Emily
wrote:
And cool it with the officer jokes!

The story behind it is this:

If you're in boot camp and you make the mistake of calling you drill
instructor "sir", you usually got a response like this:

"SIR? I'M NOT A ****IN' OFFICER! I DON'T HAVE TO SQUAT TO ****!"

Usually yelled at you a couple of inches from your face...

More often than not, the officers just end up being the equivalent of
management types in the civilian sector... Sometimes you get one who
is competent on technical matters, but that often seems to be the
exception...

After I did my hitch as an enlisted, I went back to college and after
getting my BS, I thought about going back in and being an officer...
At that time, the Navy had quit allowing personnel to have beards... I
*hate* shaving... So, I went to graduate school instead and got my
MS...
Old July 28th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:49:23 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
Well, I pay a hell of a lot more in income taxes than I do in property
taxes. I think that ought to give me some say in how my money is spent.

No, that just says that we should do away with the income taxes...
Old July 28th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Why GA is Dying

A Calico?

"Grumman-581" wrote
in message
| On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:35:10 GMT, Matt Whiting

| wrote:
| I consider a 9mm to be marginal and I laugh at this
| whole "fire power" argument. Personally, I'd rather
| have 6 or 8 rounds that count, than 15 peas to lob
|
| I've got two 9mms... One was for compact carry, but it got
relegated
| to the gun safe after I found the exact same model in
..40SW and .45
| with the same number of rounds and still basically the
same size
| weapon... The other 9mm has 50 round magazines for it...
It might be
| lobbing peas, but it's lobbing *a lot* of peas... One
could consider

Old July 28th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Matt Barrow wrote:
snip

But that isn't likely to happen. politicians prefer stupid
voters who will keep returning them to office.

Maybe they'll ask questions about sports or entertainment.

That rules me out.
Old July 28th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

wrote:
And cool it with the officer jokes!

The story behind it is this:

If you're in boot camp and you make the mistake of calling you drill
instructor "sir", you usually got a response like this:

"SIR? I'M NOT A ****IN' OFFICER! I DON'T HAVE TO SQUAT TO ****!"

Usually yelled at you a couple of inches from your face...

More often than not, the officers just end up being the equivalent of
management types in the civilian sector... Sometimes you get one who
is competent on technical matters, but that often seems to be the
exception...

Dunno, no one in my family is an actual line officer, so at least two of
them were/are out in the field with everyone else.
Old July 28th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:46:12 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
A Calico?

Nawh, a TEC-9... I figure that if it was worth being mentioned on the
Brady Bill, I needed to buy one... It's accurate enough at typical
defensive ranges, but it's main advantage would be the ability to
quickly put down a field of suppressive fire... It would make your
typical home invasion thugs think twice... Of course, you're going to
patching holes in your sheetrock for the next couple of weeks...
grin
Old July 28th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Macklin wrote:

Speed without accuracy, power without accuracy, too much
power may kill your neighbor... If you want to see speed,
have you seen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6rEnEQkYaQ&search=bond

Yes, I've seen that. Have you seen the video of Bill Jordan drawing and
hitting a target in something like .25 second?

Matt