Wave Soaring in October

Old September 22nd 12, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Fowler[_3_]

Default Wave Soaring in October

Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'm
looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.

TIA,
Roger

Old September 22nd 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

We do, and you don't even need to go above 18K to get it!

www.nwskysports.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...7032953?ref=ts

http://www.youtube.com/waveguru

Boggs
Old September 22nd 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Most of the western US will produce wave starting in late September. Cal City, Minden and Air Sailing are consistent sites with Wave Windows. Northern Utah from Morgan and Logan are good but do not have wave windows yet to allow Diamond flights. Great mix of ridge and wave makes the flying fun though. As Gary said his location in Oregon is low enough to allow the diamond without a window.

Watch the jet and when it starts to drop south wave season has arrived. We say good lenticular patterns last week in Northern Utah, but our wave season runs from September through June.
Old September 23rd 12, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Friesen

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:30:02 AM UTC-7, Roger Fowler wrote:
Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'm

looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.

TIA,

Roger

The Cowley Fall Camp, run annually by the Alberta Soaring Council, is a diamond mine most years.

This year it will run from September 29 to October 8.

Should be a fun time for all. Two seat gliders and instructors will be available for site familiarization and wave familiarization.

More details at: http://www.soaring.ab.ca/cowley.html

Cheers, Bruce Friesen
Old September 23rd 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Minden, NV has excellent wave, wave window, great infrastructure, other stuff to occupy the family, accomodations, spectacular scenery, pro-soaring airport management, and a friendly soaring FBO - - "SoaringNV".

Rumor has it one of their part time tow pilots cam find lift like a hawk with a built in ClearNav vario.

bumper

Disclaimer: I sometimes tow for SoaringNV.

Old September 23rd 12, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Not sure what happened to my last post?

We have wave windows here if you don't want to notch your trace low...

Boggs
Old September 23rd 12, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:30:02 AM UTC-4, Roger Fowler wrote:
Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'm

looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.

TIA,

Roger

Don't forget the East Coast. Many of the State Records in New England and the Mid Atlantic states are set in the Fall wave. Sugarbush hosts one of the more well known events:

http://www.sugarbush.org/Sugarbush_S...Wave_Camp.html
Old September 23rd 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:50:28 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
Sugarbush hosts one of the more well known events:

http://www.sugarbush.org/Sugarbush_S...Wave_Camp.html

The wave at Sugarbush has the advantages of forming close to the airport and starting low enough to fly without supplemental oxygen.