Too many GPS puck antennas

Old January 11th 20, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default Too many GPS puck antennas

I just started pimping out my ASW20. I am putting in a LXNAV S100, FLARM and an ADS-B Trig transponder. Thant’s three puck antennas and I haven’t even figured out where to put the FLARM antennas yet! Does anyone have a good solution?
Old January 11th 20, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-8, Charles Longley wrote:
I just started pimping out my ASW20. I am putting in a LXNAV S100, FLARM and an ADS-B Trig transponder. Thant’s three puck antennas and I haven’t even figured out where to put the FLARM antennas yet! Does anyone have a good solution?

I've been using a MECA divider for several years now.
Besides the panel being less crowded, GPS satellites aquire much faster.
Don't use DC blockers. Use a 12v GPS antenna to feed the divider. This way if your primary device fails, you don't lose all of them.
Search for GPS divider in the subject, links were posted on a previous thread.
Jim
Old January 11th 20, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-8, Charles Longley wrote:
I just started pimping out my ASW20. I am putting in a LXNAV S100, FLARM and an ADS-B Trig transponder. Thant’s three puck antennas and I haven’t even figured out where to put the FLARM antennas yet! Does anyone have a good solution?

Charles,

Cables and combiners on the bottom of this page.

http://www.craggyaero.com/antennas.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old January 11th 20, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
I just started pimping out my ASW20. I am putting in a LXNAV S100, FLARM and an ADS-B Trig transponder. Thant’s three puck antennas and I haven’t even figured out where to put the FLARM antennas yet! Does anyone have a good solution?

Too many puck GPS antennas too close together will lead to interference and poor function.
I remember reading somewhere that these puck antennas must be 30 inches apart to help reduce the possibility of such interference.
Old January 11th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I put a couple on my canopy rails.Â* Most (mine, at least) GPS pucks have
a magnetic base so I glued small steel washers to the glare shield and
slapped the pucks in place.Â* No worries when jettisoning the canopy.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 11th 20, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I like your idea best Richard. I’ll give you a call next week.
Old January 11th 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

What brand/model 12v GPS antenna is being used, reasons?

Old January 11th 20, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 9:49:32 AM UTC-8, wrote:
What brand/model 12v GPS antenna is being used, reasons?

Linx Antenna Factor
ANT-GPS-SH-SMA (with SMA connector)
ANT-GPS-SH-MCX (with MCX connector)
ANT-GPS-SH-MMX (with MMCX connector)

Each GPS engine provides phantom power, and the voltage from each is added. If you use a standard puck the voltage from 2 or 3 engines will be too high.
The Linx has higher gain with higher phantom voltage (up to 12v).
System Gain: 28dB (typ. includes 4dB
cable & filter loss)
Noise Figu 1.8dB @ fo, 2dB max.
Input Voltage: +2.5VDC to +12VDC
Jim

Antennas! Get yer antennas here! Bob (not my real pseudonym) Aviation Photos 0 March 3rd 11 05:38 AM
Antennas [email protected] Home Built 1 February 19th 09 08:32 PM
Aircraft antennas ccwillwerth Home Built 23 October 26th 06 10:30 PM
Antennas Terry Home Built 3 April 24th 05 06:42 PM
Antennas Terry Home Built 3 April 22nd 05 03:14 AM