6'7" and looking for a glider

Old January 11th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default 6'7" and looking for a glider

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 8:46:02 PM UTC-7, Rob wrote:
I've been reading tall pilot threads here from a few years back, and I wanted to start a new thread. I'm 6'7" 230 lbs with a bit of a taller torso and I'm on the lookout for a glider. I've noticed that legroom isn't usually an issue, but with many gliders, closing the canopy is a problem.

I've been doing my training in a Blanik L-23 and I can fit OK, not the best, but no issues with the training. I've tried to fit in the ASK-21, no way. I'm wondering if I can fit in the G103 so I can go to a commercial operation and finish my rating.

So far, I fit in the following:

L-33 Solo - very comfortably I might add. I've been doing my solo work in one.
PW-5 - very comfortable. Haven't flown one yet.

Ideally, I'd like to do cross country and earn badges. I was talked out of these two because they're not the best performers for cross country and I received what seems to be a solid advice to keep looking for something I'd be happier with longer term, so here we go.

Jantar Std 3 seems like a good fit. Can't find many for sale.
LS-3A is a good fit, but would likely need a very thin parachute. I would presume LS-4 is a good fit as well.
Mosquito was a little tight.
Standard Cirrus - could not close the canopy with all the cushions out too. That was a bummer.
DG-300 and 500 seemed like a good fit.
PIK-20 - could not close the canopy.
G102 - could not close the canopy.
Discus - could not close the canopy.

If I hit the lottery, I'd be all over an Arcus M - fantastic fit, beautiful ship and a decimal place out of my price range. Ideally, I'm looking for something in the 15-25k range. Anyone selling?

Rob
The LS3a has the lighter wings, of the 2 models, the LS3 slightly heavier wings but not a deal breaker.
Those LS gliders fly nice! And are available now. 40/1
That 40/1 is a magic number I think for XC
You can go XC in anything, but 40/1 makes it so much easier.
You can go places and get home. That L33 PW5 not so much IMHO
Old January 11th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 12:08:25 PM UTC-6, Rob wrote:
I did not know that about Open Cirrus. I thought it was the same cockpit.

It was interesting that a number of ships I tried that everyone was certain I could fit in, I did fit just fine legroom-wise, but could not close the canopy.

I'm in the Houston area, and I have an airplane, so any excuse to go fly is very welcome. If anyone's got an Open Cirrus or Genesis 2 or maybe Discus 2b or Nimbus, or prety much anything for a tall guy in area, I'd love to check it out. What's for sale in the area?

Rob - as Tony mentioned up-thread, I have a Genesis 2 just south of you at GHSA that you are welcome to try on for size. Mine's not for sale, but I think there is one for sale in W&W. It's the largest glider cockpit I've seen.. I know for sure it'll fit 6'5" pilots and I'm pretty certain it'll fit you. I'm 5'11", so I am swimming around in the ship. Lots of room and comfortable. Good luck finding a ship and let me know if I can help.
Old January 11th 20, 04:59 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kennedy[_3_] View Post
[...]

Ah! The good old 'you can go places easier and get home with more l/d' True to a certain extent although I think the best way to look at more l/d was what I was told when I moved up to a Nimbus 3d

"You now have the ability to landout further from home"

:-) Colin
Old January 11th 20, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I am 6’1” and have gone from an ASW19 to a 20. They have very similar cockpits. I fit OK I. Them but wouldn’t want to be any taller. I occasionally would hit my head on the canopy during rough landing in the 19.
Old January 11th 20, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a mininimbus c just listed on w&w. Same cockpit as nimbus.
Old January 11th 20, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McBee

I have a DG-101G. I am 6’ 0” and barely have enough head clearance.

Matt
Old January 11th 20, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 08:36:25 -0800, robertholliday49 wrote:

There is a mininimbus c just listed on w&w. Same cockpit as nimbus.

Cough

The Mini-nimbus combined a Standard Cirrus fuselage and tail, so *Std
Cirrus* cockpit, with Glasflugel Mosquito wings and Glasflugel style self-
connecting controls. The C version had the late Std Cirrus tailplane
(with elevators, not all-flying tail). Lighter carbon wings were a
factory option.

So, probably not a good fit for the OP, though the one based at my club
seems to go very well and accumulates a lot of hours each year.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 12th 20, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm 6'3" with a tall torso. I see the term "thin chute" being tossed around.. All are not the same. Some are thin in the lumbar area, others behind the shoulders, and many are pretty evenly thick...er, thin. I need a chute with very little thickness behind my shoulders so I can recline as much as possible.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old January 14th 20, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jordan[_2_]

6'5" 230, ASW20 with the seat back removed, tilt up panel, custom headrest and chute and I fit great. It's for sale actually...
Old January 14th 20, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

Over the weekend, I tried again in Standard Cirrus and surprise, I actually fit. I'd have to adjust the headrest, but it actually worked. I also tried to sit in ASW-24 and I'd have to alter the panel so my knees fit.

I really appreciate all the advice and wisdom shared here. By all means, please keep it coming.