Handheld Tranceiver Recommendation

Old March 29th 04, 05:09 PM
nospamPlease

Default Handheld Tranceiver Recommendation

I am thinking of purchasing a hand held radio (tranceiver).

Can anyone recommend one ? I am a student pilot.

Please reply to this newsgroup and not via email.
Old March 29th 04, 05:28 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, nospamPlease said:
I am thinking of purchasing a hand held radio (tranceiver).

Can anyone recommend one ? I am a student pilot.

No, but I can categorically state that you must not, under any
circumstances, buy the Sporty's one. It's a horrible piece of crap. The
display is almost unreadable under most lighting conditions, it loses all
its memory when you change the batteries, and the range is laughable. Oh,
unless you want to buy mine used, in which case they're great.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction into a
Old March 29th 04, 05:45 PM
Thomas Borchert

NospamPlease,

I am thinking of purchasing a hand held radio (tranceiver).

Can anyone recommend one ? I am a student pilot.

Vertex/Yaesu and Icom are the two brands that come to mind. I don't
like the antiquated (IMHO) design of the Sporty's unit.

What do you want to do with it? I'd humbly suggest there are quite some
things a student pilot might want to spend 250 $ on before getting a
handheld radio.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 29th 04, 08:03 PM
Jay Honeck

Can anyone recommend one ? I am a student pilot.

Watch Ebay for a used ICOM AC-20 or -21. They are bigger than the new ones,
but bulletproof. You can probably pick one up for peanuts, compared to a
new one.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 29th 04, 09:15 PM
RD

Yaesu. Amazing unit and you can get them for very good prices on Ebay.

--
Thank You,
Ryan

Old March 29th 04, 10:05 PM

We just received our new ICOM - A-23..

Ist impresions are very good, nd the VOR actually works!

Well.. at 3000 feet and 44 miles anyway.. (As far as we
tried it so far), and it gave us the same radial as the panel unit
in our 172.. Actually did an intercept with it... tiny numbers of
course, but a tiny radio...

We shopped harder than most (I thin. Posted here, got several
opinions.. the ICOM seemed to come out on tip, for what we wanted..

Very good so far...

Dave

Old March 29th 04, 11:33 PM
Cub Driver

I would buy a Vertex 5 watt radio with any nav feature. If the radio
is only for backup, then you might want to consider alkalines, but I
like the rechargable because it's my only radio. The version I own is
a Yaseu, predecessor of the Vertex.

Others will tell you Icom. Before the Yaseu, I owned a Sporty's, but I
didn't like it. I found the nav feature useless, the whole thing
rather bulky and heavy, the display not easy to read--and it ate
batteries.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: -- put Cubdriver in subject line!

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 29th 04, 11:44 PM
Peter Gottlieb

I have an older Icom and I tried the new Vertex model that a couple of
friends got. Both do the job. The Vertex seems like a very sexy little
radio, but side by side the Icom was noticeably more sensitive (could have
been just normal unit to unit differences and not model specific). If I had
to get one today I would probably lean towards a Vertex with 2m capability.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old March 30th 04, 12:19 AM
S Narayan

I bought an Icom A-22 many years ago. It's a sturdy radio, but I have lost
one of the rubber knobs (inner). Also, the NiCd cells lost their ability to
hold charge after 5 years. Recently I rebuilt the battery pack myself. As
good as new. The VOR accuracy appears to be good, but have not used it in
flight. .

Old March 30th 04, 03:22 AM
Andrew Sarangan

A transceiver might be useful as a backup if you fly in Class B a lot,
and for IFR. But I can't think of any other reason why a student pilot
would need a transceiver. If you are interested in listening to ATC
communications, buy a scanner.