Handheld Tranceiver Recommendation

Old March 31st 04, 03:21 AM
jsmith

The only regs that require a radio are operation in CBAS, CCAS, or CDAS.
Outside controlled airspace, there is no requirement for a radio.

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
I can't think of any other reason why a student pilot
would need a transceiver.

Because he will be flying solo?

Are you talking about an aircraft which has no radio? In that case you
are correct. Perhaps I misunderstood the original post.

Old March 31st 04, 04:00 AM
Andrew Sarangan

The question was whether a student pilot should purchase a handheld
transceiver. If the aircraft does not have any radios, then a handheld
transceiver would be very useful to have. Although a radio is not
required in class E and uncontrolled airspaces, it certainly makes things
safer. However, a transceiver as a backup radio to the aircraft radio may
be an excessive measure. That was the point I was trying to make.

jsmith wrote in :

The only regs that require a radio are operation in CBAS, CCAS, or
CDAS. Outside controlled airspace, there is no requirement for a
radio.

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

. ..

Old March 31st 04, 02:46 PM
jsmith

Teaching them initially to fly without a radio teaches them to look
outside and scan for traffic.
It's the fools with radios that think just because they broadcast over
the airwaves that they have the right of way and everyone should let
them play through.

Old March 31st 04, 09:54 PM
Ron Lee

jsmith wrote:

Teaching them initially to fly without a radio teaches them to look
outside and scan for traffic.
It's the fools with radios that think just because they broadcast over
the airwaves that they have the right of way and everyone should let
them play through.

And my experience is that assuming that see and avoid will keep you
alive is one path to validating Darwinism.

Ron Lee
Old March 31st 04, 11:59 PM
d b

My experience has been the opposite. More close encounters with comm
than without. But that only is good for the last 40 years. I think the comm
or lack of it is not a factor at all. Situation awareness seems to be the
bigger player.

Old April 1st 04, 12:25 AM
Dave Stadt

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
jsmith wrote:

Teaching them initially to fly without a radio teaches them to look
outside and scan for traffic.
It's the fools with radios that think just because they broadcast over
the airwaves that they have the right of way and everyone should let
them play through.

And my experience is that assuming that see and avoid will keep you
alive is one path to validating Darwinism.

Ron Lee

I would like to see evidence to support your statement. On the contrary,
Quincy, IL, Bob Collins and six people killed while talking to Meigs tower
all took place in northern IL within a few years and all involved people
talking on a radio and not looking . Darwin would probably see the
invention of radio as a way to improve the breed.

Old April 1st 04, 01:03 AM
Bill Denton

Actually, it happened at Palwaukee (KPWK) airport and tower, just north of
Chicago O'Hare airport.

There were two fatals in Mr. Collins' plane, one fatal student pilot in the
other plane.

The accident was the result of Mr. Collins mis-reporting his position. The
controller used this information and directed the student pilot's plane into
Mr. Collins' plane.

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

Old April 1st 04, 01:16 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I have found that most students religiously annouce all their turns in
the traffic pattern but fail to listen to other airplanes. A radio is
actually a liability in the early stages of training. Hence my
recommendation against carrying a backup radio.

Old April 1st 04, 05:37 AM
Dave Stadt

Bob Collins was killed at Waukegan not Palwaukee. He was returning from
lunch at Janesville. The accident was caused by both pilots not seeing and
avoiding. It is a class D airport. Controllers are not responsible for
separation or sequencing at class D airports. A fact seemingly lost to many
pilots. Quincy was a ground accident involving a commuter. Meigs was a mid
air. All occurred in VFR conditions and all could have been avoided had the
pilots been looking out the windows.

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Actually, it happened at Palwaukee (KPWK) airport and tower, just north of
Chicago O'Hare airport.

There were two fatals in Mr. Collins' plane, one fatal student pilot in

the
other plane.

The accident was the result of Mr. Collins mis-reporting his position. The
controller used this information and directed the student pilot's plane

into
Mr. Collins' plane.

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...