What are cowl flaps?

Old October 24th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

Default What are cowl flaps?

On 10/24/06 09:23, Kev wrote:
Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Kev posted:
Thomas Borchert wrote:
Yeah, but that would make it impossible to start a long-winded
discussion with real pilots about how backwards and dangerous the
engines on their planes are.

It would also make it impossible to torture us with responses like
that one.

Or, your response to Thomas', or my response to yours. ;-)

LOL. Exactly ;-)

When the original topic's question can be thoroughly answered by reading
the first hit of a Google search, there really isn't much to add to the
"discussion". It's not like there will be conflicting opinions about this
question. So, might as well make it enjoyable for the rest of us who have
grown pretty tired of such pointless engagements.

Yep, if people would just let him get answered by those interested
enough to answer with a real reply, then the threads would be small and
we'd all be in good shape.

Wow. If you really believe that, you simply have not been reading very many
of his posts.

Regards, Kev

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old October 24th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Gaquin

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message newsBm%g.17816

5 or 10 knots? What are they freakn' barn doors or something? :-) Sure
your not fibbing?

Sometimes cowl flaps can really disrupt airflow. On the DC3, the cowl flaps
have 3 positions: open, closed, and trail (controlled, btw, by a pair of
round valve handles that look for all the world like they were borrowed from
a steam locomotive). Open,they really stick out all around the cowling, and
in trail, they are pretty much closed, but will stay open a bit as needed.
Cowl flaps are an item on the pretake-off check. If you try to take off
with them in "open", it will set up a hell of a buffet.

Old October 24th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
. ..

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message newsBm%g.17816

5 or 10 knots? What are they freakn' barn doors or something? :-) Sure
your not fibbing?

Sometimes cowl flaps can really disrupt airflow. On the DC3, the cowl
flaps have 3 positions: open, closed, and trail (controlled, btw, by a
pair of round valve handles that look for all the world like they were
borrowed from a steam locomotive). Open,they really stick out all around
the cowling, and in trail, they are pretty much closed, but will stay open
a bit as needed. Cowl flaps are an item on the pretake-off check. If you
try to take off with them in "open", it will set up a hell of a buffet.

You wouldn't believe the drag on a P47 Thunderbolt with the cowls open.
Don't know about the D models, but on the N, you can easily use them as a
speed brake :-)) Also, taxiing with them open just about totally blinds you
in front of the airplane....not that the visibility is all that great in
front with them closed :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old October 24th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
karl gruber[_1_]

Some airplanes WILL NOT FLY with cowl flaps fully open. In the 50's there
was a Boeing Stratocruiser that took off from Boeing Field, Seattle. They
forgot to close the cowl flaps from ground to climb and ended up ditching
straight ahead in Elliot Bay, where the plane rests today.

http://www.ovi.ch/b377/articles/lady/

Karl

Old October 24th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Wade Hasbrouck

For a minute I thought you were talking about the one that was ditched in
Elliot Bay in 2002, which was because they ran out of gas... They
relied/trusted the fuel gauges and didn't check the tanks, whi.ch were wrong
and they didn't have very much fuel. They later on fished that one out of
Elliot Bay and restored it, again.

But, I read the posting and sawa "In the 50's..." :-)

Sadly, there are lots of planes at the bottom of Elliot Bay and Lake
Washington.

Old October 24th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:42:43 +0000, John Theune wrote:

But as has been pointed out so many times, often as not he then replies
with a statement about how he is right and the poster is wrong.

Then perhaps fewer people will reply to him, leaving fewer threads
discussing those replies.

- Andrew

Old October 25th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Natalie

Jon Kraus wrote:
But he has a Navion... I thought it would be similar to my Mooney...

They are pretty large doors, maybe 6x10" and the main cooling
intake is a few square feet. Closing them pretty much seals
up the cowl, only a little air escapes around the exhaust pipes.

Old October 25th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

karl gruber writes:

Some airplanes WILL NOT FLY with cowl flaps fully open. In the 50's there
was a Boeing Stratocruiser that took off from Boeing Field, Seattle. They
forgot to close the cowl flaps from ground to climb and ended up ditching
straight ahead in Elliot Bay, where the plane rests today.

The obvious question here is: Why would the cowl flaps open that far
if the plane wouldn't fly with them in that position? Unless it were
strictly for keeping the engine cool on the ground, I suppose (?).

Old October 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
swag

They absolutely cause a 10knot difference in performance in a Skymaster
P337.
And if I recall they caused about 7 knots degradation in my 73 F33a Bo

Jon Kraus wrote:
5 or 10 knots? What are they freakn' barn doors or something? :-)
Sure your not fibbing?

Ron Natalie wrote:

In my plane, I can get another five to ten knots when
I close them.

Stuck cowl flap cable Jim Burns Owning 7 March 24th 05 02:07 PM
Archer Cowl needs work - Advice? Bob Chilcoat Home Built 26 March 4th 05 02:26 AM
M14 Radial Cowl Parts Dan Horton Home Built 0 January 26th 05 05:18 PM
757 flaps miss-aligned in cruise AnyBody43 General Aviation 1 April 2nd 04 01:01 AM
Flaps and V-Tails of Death Wallace Berry Soaring 59 November 26th 03 09:54 PM