Glider accident near Altoona... interview with pilot

Old May 17th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Glider accident near Altoona... interview with pilot

Instead of choosing a "SPOT or PLB", why not consider a SPOT and a PLB? In aviation redundancy is good!

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"brianDG303" wrote in message ...

The question I have about this is the effectiveness of the different
alert devices while upside down. Would the SPOT get a message out,
would the PLB? Where I fly there would be no cellphone coverage and no
way to get a fire truck with an airhorn, so it would be SPOT or PLB
and a very long wait.

Brian
Old May 17th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On May 17, 8:15*am, brianDG303 wrote:
On May 16, 11:42*am, nimbus wrote:

On 16 mai, 19:21, jim archer wrote:

"Poor weather conditions, close to the mountains ridges, no
outlanding
fileds and still having water ballasts full of water? " *was not in
the article anywhere

Strange? *Not when you consider the pilots actual comments...
"winds were pretty strong" "skies were overcast" * "He said he was
ridge soaring when his glider stalled and spun into the side of a
mountain" *were some of the pilots and authors comments, so I'm not
sure what people are getting at here. *Sounds like he is genuinely
grateful and amazed to be alive after an admitted stall/spin.

Extract out of the provided link :

"He was flying lower and lower, without finding lift, and had not
dropped his water ballast—which increases stall speed. "

The question I have about this is the effectiveness of the different
alert devices while upside down. Would the SPOT get a message out,
would the PLB? Where I fly there would be no cellphone coverage and no
way to get a fire truck with an airhorn, so it would be SPOT or PLB
and a very long wait.

Brian

SPOT needs to see the Globalstar satellites to get a message out. It's
a planar antenna and needs to be pointing (mostly) skyward. If you are
trapped upside down unless you can push the SPOT messenger outside the
cockpit someway the distress signal will not be seen.

SPOT will send a 911 distress even if it cannot get a GPS fix. But I
suspect it most cases if it can transmit to Gloabalstar then either
the SPOT 1 or 2 will get a GPS fix.
Although improved GPS performance was one of the claims of the SPOT 2.

406 MHz PLBs use a whip antenna, you have to be able to manually depoy
the whip antenna and get it outside say the upside son cockpit, but it
would have less sensitivity to orientation (should be held mostly
vertical).

A 406 MHz ELT with a rod or whip antenna mounted on the upper fueslage
surface like on many power aircraft would probalby not work if it
survived the crash at all.

ELTs antennas installed inside the cockpit may work extremely poorly
even in an undamaged glider sitting upright (no ground plane,
proximity of conductive surfaces/metalwork and broad shielding from
carbon fiber, etc).

I have a low confidence that ELTs will activate in significant number
of crashes that would cause injury in a glider and given all the
hassle with mounting them and trying to find a location for the
antenna that will work well (and not be destroyed in likely crash
scenarios). I think a 406 MHz PLB (on a parachute harness) is much
more likely to be useful than an ELT.

The benefit of SPOT tracking is that it has worked up until the point
that you have crashed and are upside down. With some flight path
guessing and knowledge this gives a useful area to start an aerial
search on based on the last 10 minute position report. With very
occasional delays of apparently an hour or so for SPOT back-end
processing it would take several hours for me to want to really start
worrying just based on the SPOT tracking suddenly stopping, but maybe
a good time to try tracking people down on radio, radio relay, etc.
Hopefully with improved future devices/technology this will improve
even more. e.g. ADS-B data could ultimately provide altitude and very
frequent updates, but with concern in some area for ADS-B coverage
near terrain (e.g. may be an issue for ridge runners, as in this
accident).

I fly with SPOT tracking, with the SPOT messenger mounted on my canopy
rail for good satellite visibility and a 406 MHz PLB with GPS on my
parachute harness. And I've got signal mirrors, whistles, etc. carried
in the glider and on the parachute.

Darryl
Old May 17th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Britton

On May 17, 9:17*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

Only addressing the upside down SPOT question -and purely anecdotal
but my SPOT 1 unit is upside down on my patio at home and tracking
away..
So far the first and third messages got through and the second one was
lost.

YMMV

-jim
Old May 17th 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

Off PLB and spot for a moment, does anyone know what happened here?
Was this an altoona crossing that ended halfway up the ridge, not
enough to ridge soar? If so, northbound or southbound? Or was it on
the back ridge behind the Altoona gap?
John Cochrane
Old May 18th 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

We often note how some pilots incorrectly fly directly over the crest
of a mountain, rather than above the steeper slope which may be well
in front, and lower than the crest. The wind goes up the slope, level
over the crest, then down the back side.

There are many places where the top of a mountain is well back behind
the lower, steeper part of the ridge. Being low and slow over the
crest may place the pilot at considerable risk if it is not possibe to
glide upwind to the steeper slope.

The book, "Ridge Soaring The Bald Eagle Ridge" explains this.

Tom Knauff