looking for west coast painter

Old April 4th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default looking for west coast painter

I'm pretty sure I am going to have my HP-24 professionally painted.
Can anyone recommend a place within a 500 mile radius of the greater
Seattle area that has experience with Prestec?

thanks,
Brad
Old April 4th 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:
I'm pretty sure I am going to have my HP-24 professionally painted.
Can anyone recommend a place within a 500 mile radius of the greater
Seattle area that has experience with Prestec?

thanks,
Brad

Why damage a perfectly good glider with Prestec? If the molds were
good and smooth, shoot it with a good 2K polyurethane system. It will
last longer, look better, and add less weight.
Old April 5th 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 4, 3:15*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I'm pretty sure I am going to have my HP-24 professionally painted.
Can anyone recommend a place within a 500 mile radius of the greater
Seattle area that has experience with Prestec?

thanks,
Brad

Why damage a perfectly good glider with Prestec? *If the molds were
good and smooth, shoot it with a good 2K polyurethane system. *It will
last longer, look better, and add less weight.

I would imagine there are a number of good shops in the Seattle area.
I would ask about PU shooters on rec.aviation.homebuilt

Frank Whiteley
Old April 5th 11, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I'm pretty sure I am going to have my HP-24 professionally painted.
Can anyone recommend a place within a 500 mile radius of the greater
Seattle area that has experience with Prestec?

thanks,
Brad

Why damage a perfectly good glider with Prestec? *If the molds were
good and smooth, shoot it with a good 2K polyurethane system. *It will
last longer, look better, and add less weight.

I would imagine there are a number of good shops in the Seattle area.
I would ask about PU shooters on rec.aviation.homebuilt

Frank Whiteley

PU with Teflon, now that's slick. Hadn't heard of that.

Frank
Old April 5th 11, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I'm pretty sure I am going to have my HP-24 professionally painted.
Can anyone recommend a place within a 500 mile radius of the greater
Seattle area that has experience with Prestec?

thanks,
Brad

Why damage a perfectly good glider with Prestec? *If the molds were
good and smooth, shoot it with a good 2K polyurethane system. *It will
last longer, look better, and add less weight.

I would imagine there are a number of good shops in the Seattle area.
I would ask about PU shooters on rec.aviation.homebuilt

Frank Whiteley

This kind of thread
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...b32167f0fe3cff
Old April 6th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 4, 5:15*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I'm pretty sure I am going to have my HP-24 professionally painted.
Can anyone recommend a place within a 500 mile radius of the greater
Seattle area that has experience with Prestec?

thanks,
Brad

Why damage a perfectly good glider with Prestec? *If the molds were
good and smooth, shoot it with a good 2K polyurethane system. *It will
last longer, look better, and add less weight.

Given that this will be the first flying prototype, and may well
require some "refinements" as it develops, Prestec finish would likely
be a very appropriate decision.
It's worth noting that the proper prep for painting is much more work
to get surface quality required than that required for polyester
topcoat.
I've done both.
Another voice heard from
UH
Old April 7th 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Thanks UH.....................I also have Prestec on hand and want to
use it.

I think the blister problem with my Apis, which we painted with
Prestec about 7 years ago is due to having never been
waxed.............yeah, lazy me, now when I open the trailer during
the wet months it's got lots of little blisters, and after flying on a
typical damp spring day looks even worse.

I plan on not letting that happen with the new ship.

Brad
Old April 7th 11, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

I've seen that problem in PU paint. As you describe, they grew and
shrank with humidity. In that case it was clearly contamination
between primer and top coat.

Given typical thickness of polyester top coat, this seems really
weird. I'd have said this wasn't possible, or at least *very*
unlikely.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old April 7th 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

-Evan Ludeman / T8- Hide quoted text -

I don't know the cause, but I have seen little blisters form on both
PU and gelcoat when left in a damp trailer. The only way I know to
prevent this problem is to air out the trailer at least once a month
or store the ship and trailer indoors.
JJ
JJ
Old April 7th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 7, 11:00*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:09*am, T8 wrote:

On Apr 4, 1:26*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

JJ- Hide quoted text -

This agrees with my experience also.
Usually blisters are where moisture is trapped for a long time.
UH