iPAQ 310 serial

Old July 28th 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Orton[_3_]

Default iPAQ 310 serial

Hi

Does anyone have any info on what serial port is connected to the USB on an
iPAQ 310/312.
I am trying to help setup one with XCsoar and feed in Flarm data as well. I
have the Flarm data at the correct voltage levels but I can't work out what
serial port the iPAQ thinks is there.

John

johnorto at gmail.com

Ah a trick question? The iPAQ 310 does not have a serial port. It is
USB only device.

You will likely want to use a serial over bluetooth connection to feed
it data. Many pilots are using the K6-Bt bluetooth adapter with the
310.

Darryl
Old July 28th 09, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alastair Mutch

At 06:47 28 July 2009, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Jul 27, 7:56=A0pm, "John Orton" wrote:
Hi

Does anyone have any info on what serial port is connected to the USB

on
an iPAQ 310/312.

Ah a trick question? The iPAQ 310 does not have a serial port. It is USB

only device.

No it isn't. It has a serial port on the same connector as the USB port
although the voltage levels are lower than "normal" and need a level
convertor.

Paul Remde at Cumulus has cables for use with the serial port (rather than
using Bluetooth). These work fine for my installation.

Alastair

Old July 28th 09, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrej Kolar[_3_]

Com 3, but it doesn't work at 4800bps. Wiring is he
http://tr.im/unts
Old July 28th 09, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Like everyone else, we were told that the iPAQ 310 did not have a serial
port. But then someone found a double-secret serial port on the USB
connector. The hardware is there. It took us a long time to get it to work
though because it has some idiosyncrasies. It requires an inline RS-232
voltage level converter and it works only at 9600 baud or higher. . That
is a bummer because it therefore doesn't work with a Cambridge 302 or LX
Colibri. But it does work with EW microRecorders and LX products that work
at 9600 or 19200 baud. Below are link to 2 new cables for use with the 310.
I have them in stock.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/goddard.htm#I310-PS5a-1
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godda...#I310-LX1600-1

I also have a new cable for use with the Bendix King AV8OR. I have tested
it with the standard (smaller) AV8OR, but not the new large AV8OR. The good
news is the AV8OR works at 4800 baud and has the brightest display I have
seen in a PDA/PNA.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/goddard.htm#AV8OR-PS5a-1

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

johnorto at gmail.com

Ah a trick question? The iPAQ 310 does not have a serial port. It is
USB only device.

You will likely want to use a serial over bluetooth connection to feed
it data. Many pilots are using the K6-Bt bluetooth adapter with the
310.

Darryl

Thanks guys particularly Paul and Andrej.
Old August 3rd 09, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al[_7_]

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/godda...ttp://www.cumu...

johnorto at gmail.com

Ah a trick question? The iPAQ 310 does not have a serial port. It is
USB only device.

You will likely want to use a serial over bluetooth connection to feed
it data. Many pilots are using the K6-Bt bluetooth adapter with the
310.

Darryl

Thanks guys particularly Paul and Andrej.

Anyone played with these?

http://www.aircable.net/support-serial3.html

Old August 3rd 09, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 07:42 03 August 2009, Al wrote:
Anyone played with these?

http://www.aircable.net/support-serial3.html

Yes. I have an Aircable Mini and was able to make it pair and talk
successfully to the HP310/314 from my PC GPS simulator.

Unfortunately when I hooked it up in the glider to my LX160 it would not
talk to that properly so the HP got gobbledegook.

Have put it on the back burner as a winter project.

BTW I am very interested in the serial port stuff as this would definately
be a better way to go for a permanent installation.

Can anyone point me at a document that describes the port, specifications,
and / or functionality?

tx

Jim
Old August 3rd 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Looking at the fora it looks as though the problem is that the aircable
mini uses the same baud rate for serial and bluetooth ports. Therefore as
the LX transmits at 4800 baud the bluetooth goes at 4800 baud which the
HP3xx interprets as gobbledegook.

SNAFU!

Still looking for a cable solution? or a Baud rate converter?
Jim

Old August 4th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al[_7_]

On Aug 3, 8:15*am, Jim White wrote:
[...]

This one is more programmable...

http://www.aircable.net/serial.html

Google bluetooth serial adatper there are at least 10 types out
there....

FlashFXP PRO 3.7 + serial - FlashFXPPRO3.7.rar [1/1] Peter Brady Aviation Photos 0 July 17th 09 06:16 PM
USB to Serial Converter RN Soaring 12 March 16th 08 12:21 AM
GTX 327 serial input? weebee Owning 1 December 19th 05 01:04 AM
How get get serial number of GNS-430? Andrew Gideon Owning 15 September 26th 05 11:49 PM
How get get serial number of GNS-430? Andrew Gideon Products 15 September 26th 05 11:49 PM