28 volt pitot heat

Old March 26th 04, 11:56 PM
B2431

Default 28 volt pitot heat

Will running a 28 volt pitot tube heat on 12 volts heat it enough to use? I
keep seeing 28 volt pitot tubes on e-bay and was wondering if they would do the
job.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 27th 04, 12:57 AM
rip

No. A 28 volt pitot on a 14 volt system will only develop 1/4 of the
design wattage. I feel your pain; the price of pitot tubes these days is
absolutely, downright obscene.

Rip

Old March 27th 04, 04:03 AM
Richard Riley

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:57:43 GMT, rip
wrote:

:No. A 28 volt pitot on a 14 volt system will only develop 1/4 of the
:design wattage. I feel your pain; the price of pitot tubes these days is
:absolutely, downright obscene.
:
:Rip
:
:B2431 wrote:
: Will running a 28 volt pitot tube heat on 12 volts heat it enough to use? I
: keep seeing 28 volt pitot tubes on e-bay and was wondering if they would do the
: job.

Keep watching Ebay, I picked up a 12 and a 24 as a package for $18,
new old stock.
Old March 27th 04, 04:35 AM
UltraJohn

Hummmmm
If you take a ceap 12v to 110 ac power inverter from Radio Shack and tack a
24-30 volt bell transformer with a rectifier and filter on the output you
could make your own 12v to 24 volt dc converter for about $20-$30 dollars.
Ask Jim Weir if he can come up with a project ;-)
John

Old March 27th 04, 05:23 AM
UltraJohn

Actually I just looked up the current requirements and that would not work!
I have found a site (www.solarseller.com) that carries the Solar
Converters, inc line of converters.
(model cv 12/24 - 50r24 looks to be what your need but check with them) it
appears to cost around $175.00 I don't know how cost effective that is!
Just a possibility
John

Old March 27th 04, 05:25 AM
B2431

From: UltraJohn

Hummmmm
If you take a ceap 12v to 110 ac power inverter from Radio Shack and tack a
24-30 volt bell transformer with a rectifier and filter on the output you
could make your own 12v to 24 volt dc converter for about $20-$30 dollars.
Ask Jim Weir if he can come up with a project ;-)
John

Richard Riley wrote:

I wouldn't think you'd need to filter it. or rectify it. I bet the heater would
be happy with AC.

As a matter of fact I have seen pitot tubes with 115 VAC heaters.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old March 27th 04, 11:19 AM
Big John

rip

It might be possible?

Use an inverter and diode rectifirer of the resulting A/C or just run
on A/C.

One of our retired electrical engineers could probably come op with a
set of plans to build or how to modify a commercial Inverter
(12DC/110VAC) you can buy anyplace.

A basic question. How many homebuilts are IFR certified and are flown
in icing conditions and need a heated pitot tube?

Big John (I been lurking troops )

Old March 27th 04, 05:23 PM
Richard Riley

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 04:19:00 -0600, Big John
wrote:
:
:A basic question. How many homebuilts are IFR certified and are flown
:in icing conditions and need a heated pitot tube?

A significant number are IFR certified. None (or nearly none) are
flown in *known* icing - it's when happens despite your best efforts
that you don't want it to kill you.

I don't think I'm going to put pitot heat on mine, despite a fully
redundant Uuber IFR panel from the 6th circle of Hell (2 of everything
except engine instruments). A while back I tried putting a post-it
note over my airspeed indicator, and found I could land just fine.
GPS gave me a general idea of airspeed, I knew what my approach looked
like and how much power I was carrying. If the nose started to bob, I
added a touch of power. I wouldn't do it in a conventional
configuration but in a canard it worked surprisingly well.
Old March 29th 04, 12:55 AM
Ray Toews

Don't waste your money and add the weight, learn to fly without a
pitot. mine has been frozen all winter (no place to warm it up) and I
have been doing fine. Kind of works as a back up altimeter tho
Spend the money you save on gas.

Ray