(Photo) Su-24 Flanker or MiG-23/MiG-27?

Old August 13th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
David E. Powell

Default (Photo) Su-24 Flanker or MiG-23/MiG-27?

On Aug 13, 4:07*am, wrote:
SU-24 = F-111

sure, it has exactly the same role

still in use, being (very) slowly replaced by Su-34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-34

Yuri

Su-34 is pretty cool, Wikipedia mentions it and the Su-25 as the only
armored atack aircraft in production, I guess they applied some of the
Su-25 and A-10 lessons to it (As well as the IL-2 Sturmovik
background.) It's a bit like a F-15E mission-wise, but different too.
(Especially with the maritime stuff.)

I wouldn't be suprised if the Su-24 stayed in service in some numbers
even after the Su-34 starts getting out in deployment, it is quite
capable. I wonder if surplus Su-24s would have any buyers? It's still
quite a capable plane.

I'm guessing Russia won't be exporting the Su-34 anytime soon?

The F-111 is still in use with the Australians, they're probably
replacing it with F/A-18, though it certainly is a useful and unique
aircraft.
Old August 13th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

The Su-34 is in 'slow production mode', never heard that anybody looks
to buy/order it, it looks almost like pre-canceled project, Sukhoi is
now fully occupied with 5G, the right move, cos' F-22 is already in
the air !

Yuri
Old August 14th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
frank

On Aug 12, 8:49*pm, Clark wrote:
Venik wrote om:

150flivver wrote:
SU-24 = F-111 wannabe

That's why F-111 is still in service and Su-24 has been long-retired.
Oh, wait a minute...

You do realize the F-111 is still in service...

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Nope. F-111 and all the variants were retired thanks to Dick Cheney
after Desert Storm.

Aussies may have some, but they would be the only nation still flying
them.

I worked on the DFCS program, Digital Flight Control System was to
upgrade the F-111 to digital system. Did a ton of flights, AF didn't
buy it, RAAF wasn't interested. System worked, but no buyers.

F-111 was retired soon after that.

There were no replacements for a medium range strategic bomber, which
is what it was.

And so it goes...
Old August 14th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Venik

Clark wrote:

I'm not an Aussie but the F-111 is still in service. More to the point is
fact that the F-111 was replaced in US service by something better while the
Russians cannot seem to replace the Su-24 even though much better aircraft
are available.

According to a Jane's report I read almost a year ago, the Aussie
F-111s, while officially in service until 2010, are no longer in
operation. They even held an official "retirement" party. They might
have started flying them again - I don't know.

The Su-27IB is, no doubt, a more capable aircraft than the Su-24.
However, the difference in capabilities is not that striking, in my
opinion. With a few upgrades, the Su-24 can still match the best Western
types in the same class.

--
Venik