Ventus 3?

Old August 15th 12, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter F[_2_]

Default Ventus 3?

As it's raining here in the UK, I've been following the results from
Uvalde.

There's a fair mix of types in 15m & Open Class, but the Ventus 2 is absent
from the top half of the results in 18m.

The Ventus is the oldest of Schempp's current fleet, so any rumours of a
Ventus 3 on the horizon?

PF

Old August 15th 12, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

It is clear that the Ventus 2 is no longer a competitive 18 meter glider. Otherwise, one or two of their pilots would be in the top 10.

In Reno (SSA Convention) this year we were egging on Tilo and Maughmer with deposit checks for the V3 trying to get them to comment on this rumor. They had big &^%% eating grins on their faces... Unfortunately, no checks were accepted.

Personally, I think a V3 is likely to be well into its design process and on its way. I'm sure it pains them to see that they are no longer competitive in 18m at a World Championship level. The timing for a new 18m design would be ideal. Otherwise, it appears, that the ASG-29 factory will remain very busy. JS-1 is a great glider as well no doubt, but results are results. I do really like the idea of 18m/Open glider such as the JS-1c. 18m glider paired with a record breaker. 15/18 is a bit boring to me.

It will be very exciting to see what happens...

Sean
F2

Old August 15th 12, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

So far the ASG-29 has won 8 of 9 competition days in 18m. Ironically, day one was won by a V2. No JS1 daily wins in 18m yet, although the JS1c has won a day in Open class. ASG29 holds 8 of the top 10 and top 3 at the moment in 18m. Pretty dominant.

In Open it appears the Quintus and Antares 23 are stealing the production show with the EB29 slowly moving up after an early bad day. The JS-1's are doing very well in Open in general as well.

It will be very exciting to see what happens in the final few days. I'm on a plane to watch the show in an hour. Should be there for the finishes today!

Sean

Old August 15th 12, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Claffey

Day 1 the fastest speed was an ASG29. Logger failure and slow back-up
resulted in 50pt penalty.

That said, there is little difference in the gliders.
Tom

=
[...]

=20
=20
=20
[...]

glider paired with a record breaker. 15/18 is a bit boring to me. =20
=20
=20
=20

Old August 16th 12, 10:29 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

[quote=Tom Claffey;821400]Day 1 the fastest speed was an ASG29. Logger failure and slow back-up
resulted in 50pt penalty.

That said, there is little difference in the gliders.
Tom

Tough break Tom. Would have been nice to have the day win to go with your fastest speed on the day

Colin
Old August 16th 12, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Also you need to remember that each glider has strengths and weaknesses. One contest in a certain type of flying does not mean one glider I'd better in all locations.

Historically the ASG has been better in very strong conditions while the V2c is better in weaker conditions. If we all flew at Uvalde everyday then building gliders for that environment only makes sense. That said I can see changes coming in the V2 just from the trickle down of the Quentus.

Old August 16th 12, 09:04 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
Also you need to remember that each glider has strengths and weaknesses. One contest in a certain type of flying does not mean one glider I'd better in all locations.

Historically the ASG has been better in very strong conditions while the V2c is better in weaker conditions. If we all flew at Uvalde everyday then building gliders for that environment only makes sense. That said I can see changes coming in the V2 just from the trickle down of the Quentus.
One only has to look at the 3 view of the Quintus and it's not hard to imagine the wings shortened at the root end and different tips to suit an 18m ship. The airbrakes are well outboard and possibly wouldn't have to be moved

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/fileadm...OM_02_2012.pdf

Of course it's not that simple but wouldn't be surprised if that was part of Schempp-Hirth's thinking when developing the Quintus. The original Antares in 18m and 20m comes to mind as an example of inner panel manipulation at the wingroot

http://www.lange-aviation.com/htm/en...odynamics.html

Colin
Old August 17th 12, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It's likely there will be a new name for the glider to replace the Ventus 2x.
Note that the Quintus is not called Nimbus 5.
Jim
Old August 17th 12, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Removing 5 meter from the Quintus/Antares23 wing I think the wingarea left would be more than 11.5 m2. Maybe too much?
Old August 17th 12, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Den fredagen den 17:e augusti 2012 kl. 08:27:23 UTC+2 skrev :
Removing 5 meter from the Quintus/Antares23 wing I think the wingarea left would be more than 11.5 m2. Maybe too much?

Sorry. 10.5-11 m2. Sounds better...

FS Ventus 2cx 15/18 SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN Soaring 0 April 29th 08 02:10 PM
FS: Ventus C James Hamilton Soaring 0 September 13th 06 09:18 PM
Ventus C AD KO Soaring 0 September 29th 05 07:05 PM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 18th 04 08:39 PM
FS Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 15th 04 09:10 PM