A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Kobo with Cambridge 302

Old August 16th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Kobo with Cambridge 302

Is anybody running xc soar on a kobo connected to a Cambridge 302? If so, what type of cable did you use to connect, and which port on the kobo did you tell xc soar to use? I'm running it on a pocket pc now, using a custom serial cable. But the kobo is much easier to see. I made up a homemade usb to db9 cable. the problem might be the cable, which I'll check. But I also might be using the wrong port on the kobo, and I didn't find any help in the manual. If somebody else has this setup working I'd like to know how you did it.

John
Old August 16th 15, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 9:56:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Is anybody running xc soar on a kobo connected to a Cambridge 302? If so, what type of cable did you use to connect, and which port on the kobo did you tell xc soar to use? I'm running it on a pocket pc now, using a custom serial cable. But the kobo is much easier to see. I made up a homemade usb to db9 cable. the problem might be the cable, which I'll check. But I also might be using the wrong port on the kobo, and I didn't find any help in the manual. If somebody else has this setup working I'd like to know how you did it.

John

You need a Serial - USB connector. (The 302 transmits serial data signals, and the Kobo recognizes USB devices. So any of your standard USB-Serial connectors on Amazon.com will let the Kobo talk to the serial port of the 302.

The trick is that you need to provide 5v power to the Kobo side of the connector because the Kobo won't power the converter. So, a "Y" adapter with a 5V external USB battery will do the trick. If you want to get fancy, you could use the 5V from the Cambridge output instead of an external 5V USB battery. There are a couple pictures of this at tophatsoaring.org.

Rob
Old August 17th 15, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks, I'll do that and post the result here for future reference.
Old August 17th 15, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You may also want to look at this...

http://m.glidertools.webnode.cz/products/androport/

With this, a C302, a Nook, and Top Hat (thanks Rob), I think I have the best system out there.... for an extremely modest investment!

Nook gets charged as I fly so is always at 100% charge when I land!

Bob 7U

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 9:39:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks, I'll do that and post the result here for future reference.

Old August 30th 15, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Rob,

What port and settings did you use on the kobo? There are several choices, tcp client, tcp, udp, and some others. I can't get to kobo to talk to the Cambridge. Can you let me know what port and baud rate you are using?

Thanks,

John
Old August 30th 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning
external usenet poster

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 8:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Rob,

What port and settings did you use on the kobo? There are several choices, tcp client, tcp, udp, and some others. I can't get to kobo to talk to the Cambridge. Can you let me know what port and baud rate you are using?

Thanks,

John

John,

The 302 uses 4800 baud. If you don't see a "USB" port in the list of Top Hat ports, then the cable to the 302 is not working. Feel free to contact me offline if you want to troubleshoot the cable.

Rob
Old September 1st 15, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Rob, can you send me an email with your contact information? Send it to swanson43537 at yahoo dot com. Thanks!