Kobo with Cambridge 302

Old August 16th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Kobo with Cambridge 302

Is anybody running xc soar on a kobo connected to a Cambridge 302? If so, what type of cable did you use to connect, and which port on the kobo did you tell xc soar to use? I'm running it on a pocket pc now, using a custom serial cable. But the kobo is much easier to see. I made up a homemade usb to db9 cable. the problem might be the cable, which I'll check. But I also might be using the wrong port on the kobo, and I didn't find any help in the manual. If somebody else has this setup working I'd like to know how you did it.

John
Old August 16th 15, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 9:56:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Is anybody running xc soar on a kobo connected to a Cambridge 302? If so, what type of cable did you use to connect, and which port on the kobo did you tell xc soar to use? I'm running it on a pocket pc now, using a custom serial cable. But the kobo is much easier to see. I made up a homemade usb to db9 cable. the problem might be the cable, which I'll check. But I also might be using the wrong port on the kobo, and I didn't find any help in the manual. If somebody else has this setup working I'd like to know how you did it.

John

You need a Serial - USB connector. (The 302 transmits serial data signals, and the Kobo recognizes USB devices. So any of your standard USB-Serial connectors on Amazon.com will let the Kobo talk to the serial port of the 302.

The trick is that you need to provide 5v power to the Kobo side of the connector because the Kobo won't power the converter. So, a "Y" adapter with a 5V external USB battery will do the trick. If you want to get fancy, you could use the 5V from the Cambridge output instead of an external 5V USB battery. There are a couple pictures of this at tophatsoaring.org.

Rob
Old August 17th 15, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks, I'll do that and post the result here for future reference.
Old August 17th 15, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You may also want to look at this...

http://m.glidertools.webnode.cz/products/androport/

With this, a C302, a Nook, and Top Hat (thanks Rob), I think I have the best system out there.... for an extremely modest investment!

Nook gets charged as I fly so is always at 100% charge when I land!

Bob 7U

Old August 30th 15, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rob,

What port and settings did you use on the kobo? There are several choices, tcp client, tcp, udp, and some others. I can't get to kobo to talk to the Cambridge. Can you let me know what port and baud rate you are using?

Thanks,

John
Old August 30th 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 8:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Rob,

What port and settings did you use on the kobo? There are several choices, tcp client, tcp, udp, and some others. I can't get to kobo to talk to the Cambridge. Can you let me know what port and baud rate you are using?

Thanks,

John

John,

The 302 uses 4800 baud. If you don't see a "USB" port in the list of Top Hat ports, then the cable to the 302 is not working. Feel free to contact me offline if you want to troubleshoot the cable.

Rob
Old September 1st 15, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rob, can you send me an email with your contact information? Send it to swanson43537 at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

Running Top Hat on Kobo mini Ben S Soaring 11 July 21st 15 04:00 PM
Kobo Aura refresh rate? Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 19 June 29th 15 09:03 PM
Color Kobo Dan Marotta Soaring 3 October 25th 14 11:10 PM
Cambridge 302 & PDA -- Value of adding Cambridge 303? V1 Soaring 5 July 31st 07 03:51 AM
Cambridge 302/Cambridge 3UTIQ255 utility/ WinPilot/iPAQ 4155 Nathan Whelchel Soaring 4 July 5th 04 11:22 PM