ADIZ pilot's ticket revoked

Old May 25th 05, 07:09 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Matt Barrow wrote:

wrote in message
In rec.aviation.owning Matt Barrow wrote:

snip

I check weather etc. elsewhere than finish with DUATS for a scan of
NOTAMS and PIREPS and to get my official square checked.

It may be up to the second and the most thorough but it's isn't "Official"
as far as I know (hanger lawyers, what say??).

DUATS has been an official briefing for a few years now.

Could you prove that you did anything more than just scan the data on the
screen?

No more than you can prove you were listening when you called FS.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 25th 05, 07:26 PM
Peter Duniho

"George Patterson" wrote in message
newsY2le.1$Fb.0@trndny07...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. [...]

Well, first of all, I'm not ready to consider Wikipedia a "real"
encyclopedia. Lots of people love it, and I don't doubt that there's a lot
of good information in there. But if I wanted to "prove" a point, all I'd
have to do is go write a new topic or edit an existing one, and then quote
it. For that matter, even a "real" encyclopedia is somewhat of a weak
reference. But IMHO what matters here are the actual laws and court
precedents.

That said, the text you quoted simply reinforces my understanding that the
concept of "felony murder" is applicable only in relatively narrow
situations, that it's not even used held in all jurisdictions, and that
where used, there is considerable disagreement as to how to apply it.

It certainly seems FAR from a foregone conclusion that it makes sense to
charge the pilots themselves with the endangerment of others.

Pete

Old May 26th 05, 01:42 AM
Franklin Newton

So all you learned folks think this guy is a real safety hazard to folks,
dumber than a loon and deserves never to fly again.
Was he dumber or more hazardous than the whole crew who stuffed a L1011 into
the glades because of a lightbulb???
"A.Coleman" wrote in message
. ..

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...&sn=018&sc=478

AA Revokes License of D.C. 'Alert' Pilot
-
Monday, May 23, 2005

(05-23) 12:15 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

The government has revoked the license of the pilot in charge of the small
plane that strayed to within three miles of the White House on May 11,
forcing the panicked evacuation of thousands of people from the executive
mansion, Capitol and Supreme Court.

Though hundreds of people have mistakenly flown into Washington's

restricted
airspace, this was believed to be the first such revocation.

The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday that it had issued an
emergency revocation of Hayden L. Sheaffer's pilot's license because he
"constitutes an unacceptable risk to safety in air commerce."

The agency said no action would be taken against Sheaffer's student, who

was
also in the plane.

"This action reflects the seriousness in which we view all restricted
airspace violations and, in this case, the level of incursion into
restricted airspace," said FAA spokesman Greg Martin.

The plane entered restricted airspace and then continued flying toward
highly sensitive areas, prompting evacuations of tens of thousands of

people
as military aircraft scrambled to intercept it.

The student, 36-year-old Troy Martin, who had logged only 30 hours of

flight
time, had control of the small Cessna single engine plane when a U.S.
Customs Service Black Hawk helicopter and a Citation jet intercepted it.

Sheaffer didn't take the most basic steps required of pilots before
operating an aircraft, the FAA said. He failed to check the weather report
before leaving Smoketown, Pa., and he didn't check the FAA's "Notices to
Airmen," which informs pilots of airspace restrictions.

___

On the Net:

Federal Aviation Administration:

www.faa.gov
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...a121517D16.DTL
©2005 Associated Press

Old May 26th 05, 01:56 AM
Morgans

"Franklin Newton" wrote in message
.net...
So all you learned folks think this guy is a real safety hazard to folks,
dumber than a loon and deserves never to fly again.
Was he dumber or more hazardous than the whole crew who stuffed a L1011

into
the glades because of a lightbulb???

Apples and oranges.

Not taking basic skills along for the ride was a basic mistake.

Stuffing a L1011 was the usual accident chain of events, failing to be
broken, at a million opportunities. Not dumb. Unfortunate.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 26th 05, 03:54 AM
Franklin Newton

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Franklin Newton" wrote in message
.net...
So all you learned folks think this guy is a real safety hazard to

folks,
dumber than a loon and deserves never to fly again.
Was he dumber or more hazardous than the whole crew who stuffed a L1011

into
the glades because of a lightbulb???

Apples and oranges.

Not taking basic skills along for the ride was a basic mistake.

Stuffing a L1011 was the usual accident chain of events, failing to be
broken, at a million opportunities. Not dumb. Unfortunate.
--
Jim in NC

Absolutley the same.
Fly the airplane, Fly the airplane, Fly the airplane, the first and most
important basic skill to bring along, otherwise you may not need the rest!

Old May 26th 05, 04:06 AM
George Patterson

Franklin Newton wrote:
So all you learned folks think this guy is a real safety hazard to folks,
dumber than a loon and deserves never to fly again.
Was he dumber or more hazardous than the whole crew who stuffed a L1011 into
the glades because of a lightbulb???

Yep. We *really* don't want to see what he could accomplish with an L1011.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 26th 05, 04:13 AM
Matt Barrow

wrote in message
In rec.aviation.owning Matt Barrow wrote:

snip

I check weather etc. elsewhere than finish with DUATS for a scan of
NOTAMS and PIREPS and to get my official square checked.

It may be up to the second and the most thorough but it's isn't

"Official"
as far as I know (hanger lawyers, what say??).

DUATS has been an official briefing for a few years now.

Site?

Could you prove that you did anything more than just scan the data on

the
screen?

No more than you can prove you were listening when you called FS.

Which is why I print everything.

Old May 26th 05, 04:16 AM
Matt Barrow

"Franklin Newton" wrote in message
k.net...

"Morgans" wrote in message

Absolutley the same.
Fly the airplane, Fly the airplane, Fly the airplane, the first and most
important basic skill to bring along, otherwise you may not need the rest!

Your apparent ingnorance about the 1011 flight is appalling.

Old May 26th 05, 04:17 AM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

I'd rather have the actual DOCUMENTS than just a log that said I did in

fact
call for a briefing. And yes, I can print from DUATS, but until recently
(IIRC) all you could do was screen dumps. I don't know when they

changed,
but I remember when all you could do was accesss them from a dumb

terminal
and printing was impossible.

If you access the raw text service with telnet, and use any of the modern
terminal emulators, you can easily get a text file that you can browse

with your
favorite text editor, print, run post-processing filters, etc...

Whoopie do!!

If I had a Model-T Ford, I could hand crank the engine! :~)