Best Glider for Altitude Record Attempt?

Old December 15th 03, 12:12 AM
Mark James Boyd

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Uh, actually, they are some of the highest in the nation, as some of the
are also National records. Try this URL:

http://www.geocities.com/nvsoar/nv.html
Nevada State Soaring Records

and you will see that only two of the unrestricted records are open
(most of the Feminine records are open).

This is my mistake. I sometimes browse too quickly through
files, on the internet, or get information which is
outdated. Eric is correct.

In that same vein, the NV state record seems to indicate
a record for multi-place motorglider altitude (C. Herold), but the US
www.ssa.org/records/natmotor2.pdf
records seem to leave that category open...why is that?
Perhaps these files are not accurate, the pilot
found it too much "hassle" to calibrate the equipment
after the flight, or the pilot simply opted to
not apply...

is the "hassle factor."

But this remark is correct on a State level. It is easier now with
flight recorders, and for speed records, it's _much_ easier, but many
people don't realize this.

For speed and distance records, I agree that flight recorders have been
an absolute godsend.

Instead of strong fingers to wind the $200 baro, some tape,
a pen and a bit of baro paper, one needs a thousand dollar device,
a continuous power source, a computer, and an O/O who is
sophisticated with computers. A much rarer find indeed.

You can still use the "$200 baro, some tape, a pen and a bit of baro
paper" if you wish, but now there are other options. If you don't want
to buy a flight recorder, try borrowing one (like we used to borrow
barographs) or buy one as a partnership. The power to run them is
minimal, computers are everywhere, and the OO doesn't need to be
computer "sophisticated". Running one of the programs (there are several
available) to check the flight is easy. We have more people in our club
that can run SeeYou than can qualify as OOs - computer "expertise" is
widespread these days.

I flew for five different records this year, including 3 speed records,
using a flight recorder, and the "hassle" is minimal and comes after
the flight, in the evening, with a beer in one hand. I would never have
tried the speed records without a flight recorder, because the visual
gate required is a big hassle. For non-speed records, the flight
recorder is still easier, but not by as much.

For me, the hassle came before the flight. It involved
getting a computer, purchasing a logger, getting
the logger calibrated, loading software,
downloading a manual, soldering several connectors,
designing a power source (portable drill
batteries worked best), configuring a hardware port,
arranging velcro attachment points so the
GPS antenna worked, and training the not terribly
computer savy O/O how to download the trace.

Compared to my 30 minute lesson on how to use a drum
baro and then sticking it in a box in the back,
this logger stuff was quite time consuming.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old December 15th 03, 01:17 AM
Larry Pardue

In that same vein, the NV state record seems to indicate
a record for multi-place motorglider altitude (C. Herold), but the US
www.ssa.org/records/natmotor2.pdf
records seem to leave that category open...why is that?
Perhaps these files are not accurate, the pilot
found it too much "hassle" to calibrate the equipment
after the flight, or the pilot simply opted to
not apply...

I don't know about this case, but I do know people who have claimed a state
record but not the national record because of the significant expense
associated with applying for the national record.

Larry Pardue 2I

Old December 15th 03, 02:55 AM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:

For me, the hassle came before the flight. It involved
getting a computer, purchasing a logger, getting
the logger calibrated, loading software,
downloading a manual, soldering several connectors,
designing a power source (portable drill
batteries worked best), configuring a hardware port,
arranging velcro attachment points so the
GPS antenna worked, and training the not terribly
computer savy O/O how to download the trace.

It sounds like you were setting up a club aircraft instead of your own.
That can vary from simple to complex. It can be a lot easier, if you buy
a new logger (Cambridge model 20), as I did:

-it came calibrated for two years, so that didn't have to be done
-cables came with it, so no soldering was needed
-the glider had a battery, so there was already power available
-my computers (and the ones at contests) recognized the flight recorder
immediately
-drilling one hole let me bolt it down
-and I didn't have to train the OO, because the OO is not required to do
the download, but merely observe it

Compared to my 30 minute lesson on how to use a drum
baro and then sticking it in a box in the back,
this logger stuff was quite time consuming.

If all you need is the barograph function, a flight recorder is
overkill. If you need to round turnpoints, now you need a camera, a
written declaration (which you can also use with a flight recorder
instead of putting in turnpoints and declaring electronically, thus
requiring the computer for download only), and a lot more than the 30
minutes instruction to get it all right when you include mounting the
cameras and learning how to use them.

Then you need an OO that knows how to control the cameras, knows what
the turnpoints look like, knows how to interpret turnpoint photos, knows
how to get the altitudes off a paper chart, plus chasing down the
towpilot for release point, and of course, getting the film developed
without having the important frames severed from each other!

And, as you already realize, a speed task without a flight recorder
means setting up a visual gate, which is the biggest hassle of all.

Another "and": without a flight recorder, IGC approved or not, the pilot
misses out on some fun later on, when everyone else is replaying their
traces on SeeYou!
--
-----

Old December 15th 03, 02:55 AM
Buck Wild

Jerome Conners wrote in message ...
What glider will provide the best characteristics for
mountain wave ascents to record heights?

What are those characteristics...air foil design, lofting
characteristics, L/D ratio, oxygen system, etc.

What publications provide the design information for
mountain wave ascents?

Jer
Jerome Conners, PE
Comstock Aeronautics and Engineering
PO Box 509
Virginia City, NV 89440
775-834-8363 (work)
775-834-8364 (FAX)
775-847-0214 (home)

Head on down 395 to the Minden Airport, a few miles south of Carson
City.
There's a bunch of folks flying wave all winter & spring.
Been to 35K there myself.
Take a twin grob & you can put your redundant o2 systems & such in the
back seat. If you plan on exceeding the 49K record, you will need a
pressure suit, or your blood will boil. You will also need a specially
prepared aircraft, as described elsewhere, because at some point, VNE
meets VSO.
Old December 17th 03, 10:54 AM
Ruud Holswilder

On 13 Dec 2003 22:17:25 GMT, Jerome Conners
wrote:

What glider will provide the best characteristics for
mountain wave ascents to record heights?

This one:
http://home.quicknet.nl/mw/prive/hwl/new-JP.jpg

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Edwards air show B-1 speed record attempt Paul Hirose Military Aviation 146 November 3rd 03 05:18 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM