Pondering G430W upgrade...

Old February 22nd 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Default Pondering G430W upgrade...

All,

I'm still on the fence about doing the 430W upgrade. Money is tight as
always and I certainly haven't set the logbook on fire in the last couple
of years for various reasons. The upgrade is scheduled for late May and
I have the option of bailing on it without penalty, but at 50% off
current pricing it's a hard thing to turn down.

The most important thing to me is that it does not destabilize what I
consider to be the finest and most reliable navigational device I've ever
used. I've flown with the 430 in all weather...rain, snow, ice, etc. and
it's never failed to give me the course to fly.

I browsed Google groups but didn't really find any concise reviews of the
430W upgrade with the latest V3.0 software installed by service bulletin
740. Can anyone who has upgraded their box in the last few months and
shot some LPV approaches (translated: someone with real-world experience)
give a mini review?

I guess what I'm looking for is the simple acknowledgment that the box
actually does what is promised and doesn't have any critical bugs (BSOD,
etc.)

Thanks,

Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old February 22nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BillJ

Doug Vetter wrote:
[...]

I can tell you, based on lots of 530W flying that it works perfectly.
You will love the LPV approaches, and other nice new features. I also
teach several students with 430 upgrades, same impression. No problems
after the V. 3 software

What is the 50% off deal. I got mine upgraded for the original $1500
price. What is the price now?

Bill Johnson, CFII
Old February 22nd 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Doug, let me play the loyal opposition here...

So the hours are down...
The money is tight...
And you are asking for our 'blessing' on an expensive panel upgrade
that will sit in the hangar and depreciate...
hmmm..

In your situation, left to my druthers, I would rather the thousands
of dollars go into fuel flow, maybe go to Oshkosh, get aerobatic
training, or a balloon rating, or a sailplane rating, or a floatplane
rating... Or take my significant other on a flying trip across the
Rockies, Smokies, Plains, Keys, Carribean, where ever...

Anyway, you get my drift...

denny -
and Fat Albert the Apache
Old February 22nd 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Allen[_1_]

"Denny" wrote in message
Doug, let me play the loyal opposition here...

So the hours are down...
The money is tight...
And you are asking for our 'blessing' on an expensive panel upgrade
that will sit in the hangar and depreciate...
hmmm..

In your situation, left to my druthers, I would rather the thousands
of dollars go into fuel flow, maybe go to Oshkosh, get aerobatic
training, or a balloon rating, or a sailplane rating, or a floatplane
rating... Or take my significant other on a flying trip across the
Rockies, Smokies, Plains, Keys, Carribean, where ever...

Anyway, you get my drift...

denny -
and Fat Albert the Apache

I take it he already has the 430 - wants to do the upgrade to his unit
($1,500 ?).

--

*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.

Old February 22nd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:24:24 -0600, "Allen"
wrote:

"Denny" wrote in message
Doug, let me play the loyal opposition here...

So the hours are down...
The money is tight...
And you are asking for our 'blessing' on an expensive panel upgrade
that will sit in the hangar and depreciate...
hmmm..

In your situation, left to my druthers, I would rather the thousands
of dollars go into fuel flow, maybe go to Oshkosh, get aerobatic
training, or a balloon rating, or a sailplane rating, or a floatplane
rating... Or take my significant other on a flying trip across the
Rockies, Smokies, Plains, Keys, Carribean, where ever...

Anyway, you get my drift...

denny -
and Fat Albert the Apache

I take it he already has the 430 - wants to do the upgrade to his unit
($1,500 ?).

That's the physical upgrade cost to Garmin, that doesn't include
installation, post-install checking, installation of the new GPS
antenna, and upgrading the GPS cabling from the puck to the unit if
it's out of spec. That being said, from what I hear generally for one
430 install the upgrade is less than 3-4k all in.
Old February 22nd 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Allen[_1_]

wrote:

"Denny" wrote in message
[...]

So say the original install was around 8K, he is now going to have 12K tied
up in it. Ouch!

Old February 23rd 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

That's the starting cost. The "W" installation is many, many times more
problematical to get certified. The fact that you already have a 430
installed means nothing. Lots of owners end up installing new 406 ELT's
since the 121.5 ELT's interfere a lot with the new 430 and 530W
installs. Make sure you have a chat with your avionics shop before you
start.

Old February 23rd 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:23:18 -0500, BillJ wrote:
What is the 50% off deal. I got mine upgraded for the original $1500
price. What is the price now?

Current price is $3K (just for the hardware) because we're past the "cut-
off" that Garmin announced last year. I "registered" for the upgrade so
I locked it in at the lower price of $1500.

-Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old February 23rd 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:23:53 -0800, Denny wrote:
Doug, let me play the loyal opposition here...

So the hours are down...
The money is tight...
And you are asking for our 'blessing' on an expensive panel upgrade that
will sit in the hangar and depreciate... hmmm..

I know what you mean, but I'm not really looking for a blessing...more of
a confirmation that Garmin has 1) weeded out the bugs and 2) the benefit
in the real world is worth the money. Sounds like from the other

-Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old February 23rd 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Doug,
I had my 430 upgraded about a month ago in my Bonanza. Like you, I got
on Garmin's list for the $1500 price before it expired. My total cost
was more than most for two reasons. One, in a Bo there has to be an
additional annunciator installed because the 430W is too far from the
pilot's line of sight. Two, I have a sandel 3308 that required some
additional analog wiring. At the time my plane was in the shop I also
had an old inoperative ADF and antenna removed. Total bill was around
$3500.00. Not bad really. I saved some on labor because I had already
removed my interior panels for a shoulder harness install. There
weren't any problems. I've been trying for 4 weeks to fly with my
instructor and practice some LPV's but weather and our schedules aren't
cooperating. I was on the fence about the upgrade but I also
considered the fact that these radios will be around for a long time.
Not upgrading them for half price doesn't make much sense. What if
there's another upgrade down the road that requires the W upgrade?
When you sell your airplane, any savvy buyer will look at the W upgrade
as a plus. The last point for me was the terrain feature. My 430 did
not have the terrain option. It's standard on the 430.

Penn Avionics did the work for me. Very nice folks to work with.

Dave
M35

Doug Vetter wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:23:18 -0500, BillJ wrote:
What is the 50% off deal. I got mine upgraded for the original $1500
price. What is the price now?

Current price is $3K (just for the hardware) because we're past the "cut-
off" that Garmin announced last year. I "registered" for the upgrade so
I locked it in at the lower price of $1500.

-Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/

No 396 to 496 Upgrade Mike Granby Piloting 7 July 21st 06 07:28 PM
upgrade [email protected] Soaring 0 November 3rd 05 05:20 PM
upgrade G.A. Seguin Soaring 1 October 29th 04 06:08 AM
Lightspeed: Upgrade 25XL w/Cell Adaptor or Upgrade to 30 3G Andrew Gideon Piloting 9 August 20th 04 08:36 AM
Lightspeed: Upgrade 25XL w/Cell Adaptor or Upgrade to 30 3G Andrew Gideon Products 9 August 20th 04 08:36 AM