Window trimming techniques

Old August 4th 05, 02:35 PM
Jim Burns

Default Window trimming techniques

While our prop is out for some work, we're putting new 1/4" LP Aero side
windows in the Aztec. A couple of the windows need to be trimmed to fit
properly. What methods have proved to be the most successful? Band saw?
cut off wheel? Any others? We need to take about 1/4" to 3/8" off around
two sides so a belt or upright sander won't work, but I intend on finishing
and beveling the edges once the excess is removed. I understand that we
don't want to use anything that will heat the plastic excessively.

Thanks,
Jim

Old August 4th 05, 03:00 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

While our prop is out for some work, we're putting new 1/4" LP Aero side
windows in the Aztec. A couple of the windows need to be trimmed to fit
properly. What methods have proved to be the most successful? Band saw?
cut off wheel? Any others? We need to take about 1/4" to 3/8" off around
two sides so a belt or upright sander won't work, but I intend on finishing
and beveling the edges once the excess is removed. I understand that we
don't want to use anything that will heat the plastic excessively.

The A&P that put in my windows (cherokee 140) used one of those
air-powered rotary grinding things.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old August 4th 05, 04:32 PM
Don Tuite

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:35:19 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

While our prop is out for some work, we're putting new 1/4" LP Aero side
windows in the Aztec. A couple of the windows need to be trimmed to fit
properly. What methods have proved to be the most successful? Band saw?
cut off wheel? Any others? We need to take about 1/4" to 3/8" off around
two sides so a belt or upright sander won't work, but I intend on finishing
and beveling the edges once the excess is removed. I understand that we
don't want to use anything that will heat the plastic excessively.

I just finished working with our mechanic on a replacement windshield
for the 172B we just sold.

He used a rasp -- wouldnt use anything powered. We must have gone
through 40 or 50 iterations. We'd fit the windshield in place, mark
it with a dry-erase market, take it off, and I'd brace it while he
took it down a couple of mils. Over and over. (I'd never have the
patience to be and A&P or build a kitplane.)

When it fit perfectly, he buffed the edges smooth with emery cloth and
applied the felt.

Don

Old August 4th 05, 04:41 PM
pbc76049

Hi Don.
I do plastic for a livng.
Use a 60 grit disc sander to get the
molding to size. After that you can
either scrape or sandthe edges to
a nick free polished state. It doesn't
take but a few minutes to trim plastic this way.
ALSO you can use a SHARPIE brand felt
pen to mark the plastic. All the ink comes
off with alcohol. DON"T use a magic marker
because it won't come off. Red china markers work
well also.

Scott.

Old August 5th 05, 04:48 AM
Jim Burns

Fine toothed band saw worked great, then finished and beveled the edges with
60 grit belt sander.

Jim

Old August 18th 05, 03:52 AM
zatatime

wrote:

While our prop is out for some work, we're putting new 1/4" LP Aero side
windows in the Aztec. A couple of the windows need to be trimmed to fit
properly. What methods have proved to be the most successful? Band saw?
cut off wheel? Any others? We need to take about 1/4" to 3/8" off around
two sides so a belt or upright sander won't work, but I intend on finishing
and beveling the edges once the excess is removed. I understand that we
don't want to use anything that will heat the plastic excessively.

Thanks,
Jim

I just did my 235 last weekend with the same exact windows. Used a
Dremel with a grinding wheel. Worked like a charm. Then to take out
the slight unevenness I flipped the belt sander upside down and ran
the edge across it once or twice. Bevelled the edge with the Dremel
too.

HTH.
Old August 18th 05, 06:35 AM
Jim Burns

Yep, belt sander worked great. Also used a fine toothed blade in a band
saw, finished up with the belt sander.
Jim